PDA

View Full Version : 2nd story windows and doors disappear

Quill2006
4th Jan 2007, 10:21 PM
I've had this problem occasionally since TS2 first came out. Some of my lots have all the windows and doors on the second floor disappear. There are openings where they should be, and when I delete the wall sections the game gives me money for the door or window that is supposed to be there, but I can't select them with the hand tool or see them.

This seems to happen most often with the tall arched windows, but that may just be because I used them a lot. It does happen with other (Maxis) windows and doors, and on Maxis designed houses. I've tried just replacing them by deleting the walls and putting them back where they were supposed to be. That works while I'm playing the house, but sometimes once I've saved and gone back to the neighborhood screen, I can see that the windows are missing again (I can see the empty window holes on the house from the neighborhood screen).

I didn't really worry about it for a long time, I thought it was because I had a terrible computer, but I have a new computer with a Radeon X1900 card, and it's still happening. I have all the EPs except Pets and the Fun Stuff packs installed, but like I said, this has been happening since I got the game, and (I think) before I ever downloaded any hacks or objects.

I couldn't find any other posts about this, has anyone had this problem? Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

simsample
4th Jan 2007, 10:26 PM
What are your computer specifications? I've usually seen this when the game runs out of memory- does it happen on predominantly larger lots, or all lots? Is your game patched?

Quill2006
4th Jan 2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry about the repeats, I tried to submit and then nothing happened...until it finally went through and showed three posts!

I think I have enough memory. My basic specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+
2.41 Ghz
1.00 GB RAM

This computer is only a few months old, but I had this problem running my ancient compy that could barely handle the Sims 2.

It seems to happen on random lots. I have several small lots where it happens, and one large lot where it's chronic. I've also got a few other lots where it has happened once and then never happened again, and a few lots where it's never happened (I think, I've been playing this neighborhood for a very long time).

I did copy this neighborhood from my old PC...could the problem have traveled from the old one somehow? I've built new lots since then and had them do the same thing.

simsample
4th Jan 2007, 11:05 PM
I'd suggest to make sure the game is patched, then to create a test neighbourhood and experiment. See if you get the same problem in a different hood.

Inge Jones
5th Jan 2007, 8:30 AM
I do get this from time to time. They windows are still actually there, they're just not displaying. So don't try replacing them. You'll see them again next time you go into the lot, or when you've freed up some memory.

Quill2006
7th Jan 2007, 9:35 PM
I know they're there, it's just an annoyance to not be able to see them. Oh well! Thanks for the help.