PDA

View Full Version : Meshing heads? I need some help !

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 6:13 AM
ok I don't even know where to start with this one. I've been meshing this head for a special project. I'm trying to make a blythe doll sim for a friend. The problem is blythe dolls have perfectly round eyes and in milkshape I made the eyes round yet in the game they go back to the default boxy eyes. How the heck do I fix this? Why do the eyes go back the rest of the edits worked great.

Also I'm giving this sim a big head I haven't tested it in the game yet. Does any one know what will happen when she trys to kiss some one? Will it look like shes eating them LOL?

Any way I think it might have something to do with the way I imported it. I didn't exactly follow the instructions because I hate mesh tool and I've never successfully imported anything using it.

This is what I did, I simply extracted it as usually as a .5gd not an obj I edited it, then I replaced the default mesh saved a copy of the whole cas file dropped it into my downloads folder an wham it was in my game and CAS. Every thing looks good except the eyes. Now I've made this head about 3 times already some of them I messed up royally, On the last one the face looks great but the eyes are messed up, now I did cut the eyes out I crated a sphere cut it apart and flattened it then I attached it as the eyes carefully I think that is where I went wrong. I cut those eyes out and replaced them with eyes from another head mesh, but that still didn't work. I really don't want to mesh this again but I think that is the reason it keeps giving me default eyes. I will mesh this darn thing again and see what happens

but if any one has any ideas I'd appreciate them. I"m including some pictures.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 6:15 AM
here's the the last try and what I am trying to replicate

HystericalParoxysm
17th Feb 2011, 7:57 AM
You aren't going to be able to make the head bigger with any kind of method like this. I'd suggest just meshing a head yourself and doing it as an accessory over the sim's real head. It won't animate like the face does, but, well, it won't be a Blythe without the giant bobble head.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 8:16 AM
well
if worse comes to worse I will do that.

Actually the head already is bigger but I have no idea if it animates well in the game plus I was going to compensate by shrinking the body mesh too.

What I'm mad about is the eyes aren't perfect and I just broke my mesh that I've been working hard on all day

I want round eyes or any shape eyes I want!

didn't even know you were still around hysterical! It's good some people are around to keep this old stuff going. I refuse to switch to sims 3 I just don't like the way it looks.

HystericalParoxysm
17th Feb 2011, 8:29 AM
Yeaaah it doesn't really work like that - you can't just enlarge the head/shrink the body. You can't edit the bone locations and it's not going to animate even remotely right if you just scale it.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=147353 ... I think you're gonna need to do it like the Powerpuff Girls. Like I said - big accessory head.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 8:30 AM
I wasn't going to shrink the body height wise I already knew that with the body I was only going to make it skinnier. The head how ever I wasn't sure about so I thought I'd try it. But I just broke my mesh that was other wise perfect before. Any way I knew how to change a sims height permanently any way if I wanted to do that. But I don't know I'd like this head to animate if I can get it too. If not than if worse comes to worse I will make an accessory like you said. Still I'm glad you told me to do that now I have a plan B in case this doesn't work out for me. Still I don't understand because I know some one else mentioned making realistic eyes and ears on the other thread, the one where I learned of this whole editing heads fiasco in the first place.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 8:39 AM
By the way it's not just for this project that I wanted to edit heads. I figured if I was successful with this than I might use this method to make other more detailed characters in the future. But you're probably right I will need to make this an accessory. Any way still I'd like to know how to edit those eyes for future reference.

Any way I'm not giving up yet till I get these eyes right. I'm trying something eles because I noticed something when I imported an object file into milkshape. Now if I could just import with mesh tool I think that is the root of the eye problem.

HystericalParoxysm
17th Feb 2011, 9:48 AM
Well, the eyes should be editable if you use the method I detail here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=207836 ... I've changed all kinds of stuff that way (including eyes) and it works fine.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 10:03 AM
thank you I will try to follow your directions. I kind of did something else though, that worked for the most part except that the eyes kept going back to default. I did finally figure out how to use mesh tool. I didn't know how to use it that's why I didn't do it that way. Any how now that I do know I will follow your instructions again and see if that works. Looks like I will be editing this head yet again! well thanks I'll let you know how it turns out.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 10:28 AM
ok I used mesh tool and for some reason it keeps importing it xzy and I know I exported it correctly! What am I doing wrong? but I edited it using milkshape I guess I could try using modtool.

doorknob
17th Feb 2011, 3:08 PM
oh but now I realize that The uv map is getting messed up I"m still trying to import it through mesh tool but every time I do it comes out on the xzy instead of xyz for some reason. I"m getting frustrated with this! What the heck am I doing wrong here? I can not get it to import on the correct access no matter what I do!

Mootilda
17th Feb 2011, 4:42 PM
Please don't triple post. Use the Edit button to add information to your existing post.

doorknob
19th Feb 2011, 5:00 AM
now my mesh looks like this after I imported it using the meshtool :(

I don't know I might have to give up on this I just can't make it work. All I wanted were round eyes. :cry:

Wicked_poppies
20th Feb 2011, 11:59 PM
I know you want a huge head like the doll, but as it seems you're having the trouble with meshing, I think you should try a diffrent approach... Instead of meshing the entire face, why not make the eyes as an accessory? Your head still wont be huge though... I think HP's sugestion to mesh the entire head is the best way to go....

doorknob
21st Feb 2011, 5:34 AM
thank you wicked but it's not just this mesh that I'm worried about. I want to nail this because I need to edit eyes later for other sim projects in the future. I'm also not sure how eyes as an accessory works out but I will keep that in mind. I admit I might just do the whole head as an accessory but I still want to figure this out if I can. I should be able to edit the eyes and I did find one way to do it but the mesh tool thing doesn't work for me for some reason. I followed the instructions and that's what happened to it. The only problem with my method is that the UV map is not straight and the pupils look crooked and squiggly so I'd like to figure this out. I know I should finish this project by meshing the head as an accessory fist but I want to nail this eye thing. I'm kind of stubborn that way.

But thank you every one who responded I appreciate all the ideas I can get. I might take my own advice and work on something else for awhile and come back to the eye thing later. In the mean time I'd still like to hear some more ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Especially with mesh tool I just cant get mesh tool to work for some reason.

ok I finally figured out what is going wrong here. After reading the whole thread I realize that I can't add vertexes that's why I was so frustrated I didn't know what I was doing wrong. Any way now that I know that I can move on to more important things, thanks every one. :|