PDA

View Full Version : Sim Paintings on Community lots?

lefty
2nd Oct 2005, 9:11 PM
Currently awaiting the patch that will hopefully fix the Gravestone problem Graveyards, but something else has come up....

Is there anyway possible to somehow access all inventory items while at a community lot?

I was hoping to be able to place custom paintings (paintings of those sims who have passed on, sort of a painting above the tombstone) eventually in my graveyard, but the paintings are greyed out in the inventory when I go to a Community lot, and I can't place them on walls. My gravestones and paintings are currently hanging out in family's inventories, but I'd really like to be able to place the paintings as well as the graves.

Is there any way around this?

nectere
2nd Oct 2005, 9:23 PM
I suppose you could make some actual paintings based off these images, but that would be pretty time consuming.

I hear the workaround on the graveyard is that it has to be a newly placed graveyard, which is a big old pain each time you want to add new gravestones as you would have to go retrieve all the existing gravestones, replace the graveyard and then move them all back plus the new ones.

lefty
2nd Oct 2005, 9:55 PM
seeing as I wouldn't know how to even start with doing that, I shan't try.
If I can't ever figure out a way (the only reason I even wanted to do the painting graveyard thing is for my legacy household, without having ghosts plague the rest of the family... but now it appeals for the rest of the families too) I can always pass the tombstones and paintings down the line to the last generation, and set up the lot as a grave yard, then zonelot it to community I guess.

I was hoping for some easier way around this, and immediate (so perhaps mid legacy I could send the heir to see the graves of his ancestors....)

As for the gravestone problem, I'm just holding out till the patch to hopefully fix the weirdness of it. I suppose I can live with memorials for each family (the paintings) being housed on the lots, with the graves at the community graveyard instead.

nectere
2nd Oct 2005, 10:23 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you are sending graves to a community lot so the ghosts wont terrorize your sims?

An alternative solution is to build a mausoleum since space should not be an issue with the oversized lots required for Legacy. Or if your house is on a foundation you can dig beneath with three connecting stairs which will be the right height to add walls. You can then put all the ghosts fav belongings down there with them, as well as any other items you dont want cluttering up the main living quarters. Just dont put any stairs down there and your ghosts will roam about below never coming up to terrorize anyone.

Building a mausoleum requires you to build a foundation, cut out the center portion and place tombstones inside, the problem here is you would have to use the moveobjects on cheat to get the tomstones inside, unless you are going to dig down using the above method, but once you do that you can decorate the mausoleum with walls, column etc to look like an actual tomb. They may also stay put by simply doing the same without removing the center of the foundation by just not adding stairs. Be careful not to put anything out there that will draw your regular sims though since they will stammer and whine that they cant get to whatever it is they are after. Keep the tomb as far away from the house as possible and that should reduce the call.

Ghosts generally traverse like normal sims since except they can go through walls, so where ever you put the tombstones (on an island surrounded by water etc) keep that in mind.

Jehrome
2nd Oct 2005, 10:36 PM
I would love a way around this myself.

I have managed to amass a large collection of sim-created photographs and paintings and then turn the lot into a community lot as you've described.

Had to fiddle around lots to make this work but the problem with it is that there is no way to add to the collection. As you say, a visiting sim to a community lot gets his inventory items greyed out.

I would love to see a hack for this if it could be done.

I'm not as interested in the tombstones but a Sim-created art gallery is something I'd like to see.

simsister2004
2nd Oct 2005, 10:40 PM
Well, there is a way. You can build a residential lot, and let the well skilled sim move in and paint some nice paintings, and hang them on the walls. When he dies, you can delete his urn, and make the house a community lot by using the code: changelotzoning community. Remem ber to go out on the neighborhood screen and back to remove the residential mailbox and trashcan and place the phone boot and community trash can instead. Voilá.

Jehrome
2nd Oct 2005, 10:47 PM
Yes that works well once. Residential to community as I said.

Once that's done there's no way for a sim to add paintings or photographs that are sim-created.

Changing the lot BACK to residential once it has been a community lot I haven't been able to achieve. I think it has something to do with the mailbox problem.

Apart from that it would be so much simpler if a sim could just go in and plop a painting or photo on a wall from his inventory.

Oh well.

lefty
2nd Oct 2005, 10:47 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you are sending graves to a community lot so the ghosts wont terrorize your sims?

An alternative solution is to build a mausoleum since space should not be an issue with the oversized lots required for Legacy.

First part, yes. After a while though I grew enamoured with the thought of a community graveyard like this, but if it can never be achieved I'm fiddling with the idea of sending the pictures down the generations in inventory, or most likely this mausleum recourse, as it negates the possibility of the sim holding all the graves and pictures of losing it all from an accidental death (which I would abide by the legacy rules of not saving after this, since I'm a stickler for details like that)

Thank you for the idea, and instructions on how to achieve it.

I would love to see a hack for this if it could be done.

I'm not as interested in the tombstones but a Sim-created art gallery is something I'd like to see.

Yeah, originally my idea for this graveyard/memorial picture idea came from a house where I had accumulated pictures of sims/groups.

Having people able to go down to a community lot to appreciate the town ancients would have been fun. <crosses fingers> perhaps a hack can eventually be worked around this inventory thing, but till then I guess I'll go for the mausoleum, or just normal graveyards