Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#126 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 7:34 PM
I don't think the concept of a life simulator, or any gaming genre, can be copyrighted (or there wouldn't be so many 1st person shooters on the market). I do think developing one could be very expensive, especially for a company with no track record in that area.

On the other hand, I could have said the same thing about city builders, after the dog's dinner that was the release of Sim City 2013. And Colossal Order/Paradox came out with Cities: Skylines (the best city builder I've ever played) earlier this year.

Maybe the other gaming companies just need time, after they've spotted a large number of would-be buyers who aren't buying an established franchise. Because I suspect it takes even more time to make a life simulator than a city builder.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#127 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 9:30 PM
I'm not a fan of the sims 4, I've only played it a few times. I'll be sticking to the sims 3 as long as possible or if EA ever make a Sims 5 which I find so enjoyable that I will struggle to return to the sims 3 but I highly doubt that will happen though.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Theorist
#128 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sbugg
Knowing EA, they might have some sort of copyright on this style of game, or at least be able to sue any competing company's game out of existence. That, and The Sims is an extremely complex game to program. Other companies may not want to put so much effort into their version of The Sims only for EA to sue them for "copying them".

Little Computer People...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 11:23 PM
I could be wrong but is sims 4 more like the first sims releases by Maxis. The graphic may have change but most of thing seem the same. However sims 2 and sims 3 give you more of a sims city feel of the game.But I am going to stick with sims 3 and the sims medieval game.Until EA Sport figure out what they are doing but I will bet sims 5 will be more of sim 2 but i could be wrong.
Instructor
#130 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 12:42 AM
Default This is why I boycott EA
Quote: Originally posted by bluehaze
The Sims 4 is a disgusting pile of corporate pressure and developers backstabbing their fans. It all began with the lack of transparency to find out more information about the damn game in the first place and all these secret meetings with select people and etc. Little to basically nothing was told to us about the game and we had to pay for inside scoops about it which is horrible. Your fanbase is what keeps the money flowing in so teasing us with more info wouldn't have killed them by any means. But instead they decided to stay secretive to the very end before they released and showed off nothing special in truth. Then when certain things were confirmed this put the nails into the coffin that was already being lowered. The lack of toddlers is beyond idiotic and I don't give a damn what any of you think who disagree. There are innumerable players who are legacy or generations players and having toddlers completed the stages of life for them and myself. The lack of interaction with the infants and turning them into nothing more than an object is also sad. There appeared to be a clear regression in how sims worked from sims 3 to 2. Sims 3 showcased a plethora of improvements from its predecessor which made the game exciting and fun. The open world was the biggest game changer and the story progressor was just amazing to making it all pull together. Once given the taste of what story progression can do how on Earth can one go back? That is just too much micromanaging for one player to do and still call it fun. As a series that is meant to move forward taking away the open world is doing nothing but going back to their old ways. And with what better graphics? Haahahahhaah, they look like sad little blocky cartoons. Speaking of which this new system is just such a horrible shift in how the game is played, appearance , and longevity. So much has been stripped away from sims 3 when that rendition merely added on a great deal that we wanted in sims 2. Sims 4 is like getting bland cold food after having a taste of a well seasoned hot meal, it just doesn't work. I personally played the game for its 48 hour game time and found it to be like a piece of cheap candy wrapped in pretty foil. You like the appearance briefly and enjoy the taste for the moment but soon it wears away showing its true bleak and disgusting nature. That is what sims 4 is and why I will never purchase the game or anything like that. Oh or the the fact the game was broken and not even half complete when it came out full price. Yeah no thanks EA. I will enjoy my Sims 3 and all the beautiful mods users have made to fix your buggy game. In honesty though the sims as a franchise is broken and has only continued its descent into hell, sims 4 being nearly rock bottom.

This is why I have not bought a new EA game since 2012. I have been boycotting them since I played Mass Effect 3 and it was so buggy that two missions crashed and EA never patched the game, then there was the fact that I paid $90 to get the game on release day and it was not a complete game, it was one of the shortest RPGs I have ever played. EA keeps pulling this same garbage, they release a beta of a game at full price and then make you pay through the nose just to get a complete game that just barely works and even then you sometimes have to rely on fan made mods to keep the game from crashing, just look at the zombies that were added to the Sims 3. Well enough is enough. I have been boycotting EA since 2012 and while I can't completely avoid them(Since they seem to own two third of all developers these days)I can make sure I only buy their stuff used and if I can't find it used or it will not run used because of DRM, then I do without. I will not reward EA for taking advantage of the fact that stores these days don't let you return open software. If they had tried to pull this kind of garbage back in the 90s when stores did let you return buggy games that didn't work, they would have gone out of business. I will not buy anything from EA until they have changed their sale tactics and I see no reason why I would ever want to own a copy of The Sims 4.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Test Subject
#131 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 7:19 AM
Lol I had a hell of a time giving up 2 for 3. It was only cc that made me move on. I don't see that happening with 4 as there doesn't seem to be any improvement to Sims.
Test Subject
#132 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 11:53 AM
I've been playing TS4 a lot. Over 600 hours at this point. Even though I can enjoy it, I quite often feel that there isn't a lot for the sims to engage in, I find the lack of memories and emotional reactions a huge turnoff for me. Their relationships are bland. Same with how "all the same" they feel, like their traits doesn't really have an impact on their personalities.
I'm currently playing a Challenge, which is fun - I have a vivid imagination so I cook up drama and intrigues in my head (to compensate for those things I feel are lacking in the game). I miss the open seamless world a lot!

Sadly I lost the original TS3 game, and some of the expansions in a move ages ago. Can't find them. And my EA account is non retrievable for some strange and irritating reason. During the current Origin sale I noticed TS3 expansions to reduced price, so decided to buy a couple. Including the TS3 starter pack. I honestly suspect I will be going back to TS3, I miss the freedom of it. Perhaps in the future, when more TS4 expansions are out I'll continue that collection and play both games. Time will tell I guess.
Test Subject
#133 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 12:47 PM
me too! when sims 4 was announced I created a list of things I wanted to see in it and I dont think it had one of them! I enjoy the CAS features apart from the fact that you're limited with colours (going backwards!)
Then again, it took me two years to leave sims 2 for sims 3, so we'll see!
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 12:23 AM
I have always rushed to buy the newest game the moment it came out. I've really enjoyed the anticipation of a new pack, loved reading previews by those who live in a different time zone to me.....but sadly no more. I've tried to love TS4 but I just can't. Yes it is pretty (and has yoga) but after the open world of TS3 it is hard to take a step back. I enjoyed Get To Work for a short time then went back to 3. This new expansion pack hasn't tempted me at all, and this is the first time since Hot Date in 2000 that I haven't wanted a Sim expansion. I've even bought Pets and then modded them out because I don't actually enjoy playing them!
Maybe as the game evolves it will be worth trying again but for now I'm happy returning to TS3.
Theorist
#135 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 1:18 AM
I bought TS4 earlier this year and I few months later I returned to a game I hadn't played for years, TS3 (I really got bored from TS4), which I bought a few EP's (except ITF, Pets and Supernatural) and SP's (except Outdoor, Katty Perry, Movie and the 3 decades) around the same period I restarted it. I'm not really keen on buying any packs anymore for TS4, because for me it's simply lacking too much. The only reason to buy GT is its world Windenburg, but that's not worth it.
Scholar
#136 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 5:25 PM
I just (simple - out of curiosity) lurked into this topic: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=533935 and, as you can easily see, the main "badly needed mods request" within local Sims4 community (such ones who bothered writting there, anyway) is simple: "recreate Sims 3 in Sims 4, pleeeeaaaseee!"...

well...

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Site Helper
#137 Old 29th Dec 2015 at 2:35 PM
I still only have World Adventures, Generations, Ambitions, Supernatural, and Late Night, along with a stuff pack that came with something.Sims 3 still has a lot of potential to be new to me for a while.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#138 Old 29th Dec 2015 at 3:17 PM Last edited by miarell : 29th Dec 2015 at 5:35 PM.
Oh I'll never give up TS3. I recently reinstalled Bohemian Garden mainly because of all the new harvestables. I love strawberry pancakes and blueberry jam. I also reinstalled Deliciously Indulgent Bakery and Brunch at the Old Mill. I'm pretty sure I installed one other set, but can't remember what it was. So yeah, TS3 is still keeping me entertained.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annette19
I have always rushed to buy the newest game the moment it came out. I've really enjoyed the anticipation of a new pack, loved reading previews by those who live in a different time zone to me.....but sadly no more. I've tried to love TS4 but I just can't. Yes it is pretty (and has yoga) but after the open world of TS3 it is hard to take a step back. I enjoyed Get To Work for a short time then went back to 3. This new expansion pack hasn't tempted me at all, and this is the first time since Hot Date in 2000 that I haven't wanted a Sim expansion. I've even bought Pets and then modded them out because I don't actually enjoy playing them!
Maybe as the game evolves it will be worth trying again but for now I'm happy returning to TS3.

i loved the intro for Hot Date and that's about it. lol, memories. seems to long ago....
Field Researcher
#140 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 6:45 AM
I love the big open worlds in Sims 3 and the ability to play player made custom ones which are WAAAY more imaginative and beautiful than what EA comes up with. Until Sims 4 can give me that variety of creative experience, not overly interested. I've seen some nice pix of Sims 4 custom content on Tumblr tho. Too bad the worlds are so tiny.

MTS does not allow us to delete our accounts. I will not be logging into this account anymore, so PMs would go unanswered.
Top Secret Researcher
#141 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 11:04 AM
I don't find it difficult to give up TS3 for TS4 as TS4 doesn't have an open world so I have no interest in it. I would love to play a new Sims game but TS4 isn't it.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Instructor
#142 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 12:27 AM
I really liked TS4, but I'm sticking with TS3 for the time being. Mainly because my computer can't fit both games, and between the two, TS3 wins in terms of sentimental value. Also, the whole rubbery clay look that TS4 has is charming/cute in its own way, and I appreciate it in game, but ever since I went back to TS3 I can't stop remembering it as being kind of an eyesore. And, I mean, then there's just the obvious truth that TS3 has far more material to work with since it's been around so long.
Scholar
#143 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 3:15 PM
For me TS4 is not even an option anymore.

I have accepted that it will never get an open world (or open street even for that matter). But when compared to TS2 (the other sims without open world) I think that TS4's EPs are very shallow. And they don't seem to add actually new features, but just expand on existing ones. With the base game being so limited, it still feels limited with the EPs. I also don't like flat pancake lots, except when I go for an abandoned industrial zone looks (not to mention the required recolours download for that!). So at this point, if TS3's technical issues would stress me too much and I really really wanted to play the sims anyway, TS2 would be the obvious choice for me.
Lab Assistant
#144 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 10:22 PM
Over all I'd have to say all the games are equal -- but different. As in each of them having faults and strengths, they all have something the others do not have, and are missing some things the other have. Basically, apples and oranges. I like each of the games enough to keep them installed, 2, 3 and 4. The only times I really dislike any of them is when they crash. Otherwise, I am pretty easy to please when it comes to Simming! Just my three cents.
Page 6 of 6