Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2014 at 7:30 PM
Default New game ideas
If a video game developing company (like EA, BioWare, Bethesda Softworks, etc.) were to make a new game, what would you guys want it to be?

My idea is kind of a mix of GTA and Sims 3, where you can design your character at the beginning of the game and also choose the traits for him/her, but you can also control the movement of the character, like in RPGs.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd May 2014 at 7:34 PM
It sounds like you just described Fallout.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th May 2014 at 8:46 PM
But I wasn't intending to.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 4:13 AM
I thought a really cool idea for a game would be (and this comes from a story in my imagination, but doesn't matter in the context of the game):

You wake up in a bare apartment during the day. The game takes place in a large city and is an open-game world (similar to other open-world games like Fallout, Oblivion, etc.) but just focused on the large metropiltan city. Anyways, your character wakes up and finds a note on the dresser across from the bed - all it says is, "Find Me." But the character can't remember anything. All they know is what they go by, nothing else. They can't remember their past. The writer is a complete mystery and it could be ANYONE in the large city. Perhaps the person who writes the note has a certain symbol that is his/hers and appears somewhere else. But you're going to have to explore to find it. There would be scripted events in the city that would take place and things start changing in the city to reflect that (the bigger picture). And when the character goes back to their apartment, as the game progresses, they will start seeing the symbol more and more places (I was thinking on TV, in newspapers, people on the street may talk about it). The player can ignore this and just go to classes, work, get coffee, etc (open world type game), but then nightmares start invading the players sleep (it's recommended the player goes to sleep in their apartment every so often, like real life). Through these nightmares, you get a sense of who the character is, and a reminder that the person who wrote that letter needs to be found soon. Essentially (in my story), the writer of the letter is a killer of the supernatural variety, but is giving choice to the player to stop him if the player chooses to.

In the end (after a set amount of game-time / days), there could be different endings. The writer is found and the character/player convinces them to stop killing people in time (people who play as 'lawful' characters), the player is for the killings and supports the writer of the note (people who play as 'evil' characters), the player ends up killing the writer of the note (a very rare, procedural process to get this ending - as he is supernatural), the player ends up getting killed, etc. (In my mind, the two know each other, but weren't close - the character wakes up in the apartment because the writer brought him/her there, then leaves the note)

I have some scenarios, but the biggest part of this game would be the mystery of finding someone so anonymous in this HUGE city. As I said, there will be scenarios and dreams to sort of (very) loosely guide the player, but the player needs to think what the best use of his time would be and actively look for clues. Perhaps I'll go to the university library today and research something on beliefs in magic, maybe I'll grab a cup of coffee (but there's a strange man staring at me, why? Should I ask?), maybe you go to a mall and you find children randomly staring at you and it unnerves you, you see the writer's symbol written in an empty alley near a bar so you go in to talk to some people at that bar that night. Essentially, little things, very little things should push you to want to find something bigger, your next clue. But there's no quests, per se, nothing except you, the player, wanting to find out what the real story is between the main character and the writer.

Of course, for a large city, you'd have to have quite a lot of little clues to put in, programming for scripted events, changes to those events over time, plus actions to find more clues, etc. Plus the different endings depending on your progress. I mean, I would want the city to be living and breathing and I would sort of want it to sort of overwhelm the player in the beginning with the lack of a clearly defined goal and how to achieve that. Wander around aimlessly until three days later, something happens, and then something happens that night. At the beginning, you could catch these clues, but they would probably be subtle until some of the larger scenarios happen. And there is a story to unfold - two really. The main character's and the writer's and the story should want you to find the writer so more answers can be delivered.

Basically, open-world game that allows you to roam free and do whatever you want. You need to find someone you don't know and who left you a letter. You don't know why. After several murders, clues start erupting and it loosely guides the player to looking for more clues to find this person. You can talk to people, interact, get training, etc.

I think it'd be cool, anyway.

Edited to add: This would be more of a mystery game (similar to Myst, I guess, but without the puzzles), I never really thought of fighting or anything (in fact, I wouldn't want it to be a fighting game). Just you, an average Joe. You have no kung-fu skills, basketball skills, musical skills. You have no skills, nothing. Just you and your brain trying to figure everything out.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 4:37 AM
I'd like to see The Sims combined with X-Com.

That is, on the surface, it appears to be a simulation of a nice, normal, small town. But in reality, the town is slowly being invaded by aliens, and your characters need to deal with them in...whatever way they choose. Will you set up traps in your yard? Will you build a tiny hill top cottage and cozy up to your shotgun? Or will you make friends with the aliens, get married and have an alien baby? It's totally up to you.

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Theorist
#6 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
If a video game developing company (like EA, BioWare, Bethesda Softworks, etc.) were to make a new game, what would you guys want it to be?

By someone else who wouldn't screw it up somehow.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 1:18 PM
@Noa_4ever -
That sounds like such a cool idea. Please please keep on to it. It might be a bit too unconventional for the AAA companies (or they would screw it up by including combat, which they seem to think is a must-have for all games), but I can definitely see it as a kick ass indie game.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 6:33 PM
I would love to see Pokemon combined with the graphics and style of Final Fantasy 12. Could you imagine? To see the details in the fur, the abilities being used, the colors and textures and everything!