Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 23rd May 2009 at 7:43 PM
I'm just going into 3rd year (Scottish high school...don't know American/English/Aussie equivalents) and this is the first time I've chosen subjects. I'll be taking...

English
Maths
German
Physics
Modern Studies
Art
Music
Computing

I also need to take 'Core PE' (PE twice a week), PSE (that's Personal and Social Education, for those who don't know) and RMPS (Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies).

I'm changing over to my new timetable before the summer holidays - the 5th of June, to be exact! I can't wait!

Does reading dumb signatures make you feel powerful in some way?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 24th May 2009 at 2:58 AM
For next year i'm taking:

American Literature
Writing III
Chemistry
Algebra II
P.E.
French II
American History

funnn!!! NOT! lol
Mad Poster
#53 Old 30th May 2009 at 4:38 AM
I changed again, because it turns out that my French teacher won't retire, after all, so I'm staying in French.

Honors Physics
Algebra II
AP U.S. History
AP English Lit/Comp
French IV
Newspaper
Sociology/Ceramics (each a semester)

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#54 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:42 AM
I am going to register last week of august for my new school year. I also have to take HSPA...
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:27 PM
Double English,
Double Science,
French,
Graphics,
Health & Social Care,
Art,
Maths,
History Short Course,
P.E.

I think thats it. I've probably missed something out though o.0.

LJ♥
Call me Lily :).
I'm beginning to upload some of my sims online..please go check them out here :).
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:43 PM
I start my GCSEs next years so...
Maths
English lit
English lang
Seperate Science
Geography
French
Economics
Food Technology
ICT
Mad Poster
#57 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:07 AM
So, I've sort of made a bajillion posts in this thread, but I figure it can't hurt to post again, seeing as I just applied to college about an hour ago. I'm so nervous about finding out the results...which I won't get for two months. Anyway, onto the subjects!
  • Double English
  • Japanese Continuing
  • Maths Applications (it's the easiest maths and won't bring down my UAI for university)
  • Latin
  • Sociology

And I'm also going to be applying to take part in an out of school Japanese course at ANU, which would be really, really good. It also gets me an early offer into ANU as well as a guaranteed spot there if I do get in.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:19 PM
Well, next year's grade 11! Seems weird that the end of high school is getting so close. 0_o Anyway, next year I'm taking:

Pre-Cal Math (mandatory)
Canadian History (mandatory)
English (mandatory)
Gym (mandatory)
AP Physics (Optional)
AP Chemistry (Optional)
French (Optional)

I really wish that there were more English related classes at my school- a creative writing or journalism class would be amazing. And I'm planning to take drama classes outside of school, seeing as don't have room for it in my timetable without having to give up my spare.

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Mad Poster
#59 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 1:04 AM
My schedule for this year, in this order:

French IV (I love starting the day with French)
AP U.S. History
Honors Physics
AP English Lit/Comp
Sociology
Algebra II
Newspaper

I like the order, but I'm just sad that I didn't get the teacher for AP Lit that I wanted. It's the class of a lifetime for someone as passionate about English as I am, and I didn't get the teacher who does all the fun projects. Ah, well... what's really strange about my schedule is that all of my teachers are male. Every last one. I've never noticed an imbalance in genders before and my schedule has always been pretty evenly matched, but I wonder if I'll notice it this year.

Mad Poster
#60 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 11:13 PM
Well, I didn't get into the college of my first choice, but I've changed my subjects around the school I did get accepted into.

Double English
Japanese Continuing
French Beginning
Maths Applications
Theory of Knowledge <- I *might* do this subject, if I can juggle all of my lines and other commitments, because I'm still going to try for my out of school Japanese as well.
Inventor
#61 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 6:07 PM
Yep.
I've got:
Creative Dramatics
Physics
Geometry
Latin
Hebrew
Gym <--- required. Ugggg....
English Honors
History Honors
Social Studies <--- required. Not too bad...
Probably some other stuff too, idk.

And yes, I am in eighth grade.
Top Secret Researcher
#62 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 6:29 PM
Hmm, let's see.
I have:

Maths [5 periods a week]
Programming [4]
Hungarian and Romanian literature [3 of both]
Physics [3]
Advanced English [2]
Beginner French [2]
and one each of the following:
Chemistry
Biology
Economy
PE
Religion (I'm so gonna skip that)
Geography

A lot of stuff I'm not interested in, but they're all mandatory.

Don't you wanna fly so high above the clouds and trees,
Learn a thing from birds and bees ,
See the morning rise over the ocean up ahead?

tumblr|lastfm
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 5:30 AM
I feel so young. Everyone here seems to be mostly in high school =/
I'm in 8th grade, and this is my schedule:
Homeroom - Advanced Studies (Not worth it all, and not graded)
1st - English/Reading
2nd - West Virginia Studies
3rd - Spanish 1B [elective] (high school credit)
4th - 1st 9 weeks - Health, 2nd 9 - Art, 3rd 9 - Gym, 4th 9 - General Music
5th - Lunch/Intermurals(sp?)
6th - English/Grammar/Writing
7th - Honors CATS9/Physical Science (high school credit)
8th - Algebra 1B (high school credit)

I really need to stop taking so many high school classes. I'll be done with my mandatory math, science, and foreign language credits at the end of 10th grade. I'll have lots of time slots to fill.

School starts at 7:48 and ends at 3:06. I guess my school isn't so great at rounding numbers...

Hello there, the angel from my nightmare.
The shadow in background of the morgue.
The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley.
We can live like Jack and Sally, if we want. - I Miss You - Blink-182

Read my Sim story "Searching For Something " HERE
Scholar
#64 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 8:52 AM
This post hasnt had replies for a wee while but i feel like writing now so bear with

I left school (was doing fifth form/year 11) via distance learning so i could go to culinary school but seeing as i was forced by the school to withdraw thanks to two hospital stints and 3 a and e visits i'm starting back with school next term (In January) but enrolling again on monday. Will be a year 12/6th former as we say in New Zealand. Our school system is so weird, but we can get into uni with what we do get here and our uni's are wicked awesome so eh :P

I'll be going for my NCEA level 1 .. again.. didnt really attempt it this year lol .. have 6 math credits and thats all .. i need 80 to pass level one, and out of those 80, 8 have to be numeracy and 8 have to be literacy/maori language studies

basiclly with distance learning i get unlimited options, nothing is compulsory for me now, so i'm taking

Practical English Level 1 & 2
Foundation Mathmatetics level 1 & 2 (hey its easy! good way to get creds lol)
Home ec/ Food & Nutrition Level 2
Business studies level 1
and French curriculum level 5, no credits but i love the language :D

if i were still at "proper" school, this year i would have HAD to do english, science, math and P.E .. Year 12 i would have had to do English and then Year 13 woulda been freeeeee ... but i like it this way, if i can't stay at culinary school anymore then i'm prefectly happy doing home school again and having fun with my friends who also do it

Georgie. Aka Geah
Flickr × MTS Yearbook
27.11.08|17.12.08|24.06.09|06.06.10|24.07.10|19.11.2010
Kia Kaha
Field Researcher
#65 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 9:50 PM
I just changed schools and I have:
  • Health
  • Career Exploration
  • Business and Law
  • Food and Nutrition

Next semester:
  • Marriage and Family
  • Art I
  • Algebra I
  • English II

I'm in 10th and I'm still in Algebra I, it's ridiculous.

School Starts at 8:30 and Ends at 3:45, that's crazy to me.

Oliviaaaa
5511<3
Top Secret Researcher
#66 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 2:02 AM
Can I revive this thread? I think I've finally settled on my classes for next year (I'll be a junior).

AP Calculus AB
AP English III
AP Music Theory
AP Physics B
AP US History
Honors Spanish III
Honors Orchestra

I went back and forth on a lot of my decisions, but I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with. I'm especially excited about AP US, since I love American History and the teacher is supposed to be excellent.

Mad Poster
#67 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 2:36 AM
I'll be a senior next year and just scheduled a few weeks ago.

AP Composition
AP Microeconomics/AP Government (one semester each)
Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry
Newspaper

In the afternoons, I'll be taking classes at a local university in what my school calls the higher ed program- it allows you to get both college and high school credit for the courses you take. Those include:

Advanced French (taught entirely in French! I'm both intrigued and frightened :P)
Victorian Literature
Advanced Study in Chaucer/Shakespeare

Mad Poster
#68 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 2:47 AM
My classes changed from what I originally planned, so now I'm doing:

Maths Applications
Introduction to Media
Advanced English
Developmental Psychology
Barbarians & Crusaders

Next semester:

Maths Applications
Media
English
English
International Relations OR Medieval History
Theorist
#69 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 3:05 AM
Here's me and my British subjects to confuse you Americans with your fancy courses!
Though to be honest, the American system makes no sense at all. I know a semester is a term, but only taking a lesson for a term sounded nowhere near enough to learn anything, and then you only take about 5 lessons. It's just... weird.

I'm in year 10, first year of GCSE, so my subjects this year and next year will be the same. I put my predicted next to them. Here, it goes A*- G. If you get a G, you pass, but you have to get a C for that pass to mean much at all, because A*-C are second level passes, which means you'll get spots at universities and colleges that wouldn't be available to someone who got Gs and Fs. A fail is a U, which means unmarkable.

I have three subjects that are compulsory, but are worth 5 GCSEs overall:
English (2 grades - one for literature, one for language) - A
Maths - A
Science ( 2 grades - one for year 10, one for year 11) - A

Then I have 4 chosen subjects that I take, and each take up 5 or 6 lessons a fortnight, because my school splits the timetable into two weeks, named blue week and gold week after the school colours:
History - A* (I want to be a secondary school History teacher, so I was so happy when sir predicted me A*. Though, History is a bit of an easy pass, and that's why the classes end up packed to the seams!)
ICT (computers, basically) - A
French - A
German - A
A lot of people think the 4 students who took both French and German are insane. (Well, only 10 took German. Around 40 took French, because we're in 2 classes) They're probably right, if I'm anything to go for. Because of timetables, my French and German lessons have to go in the same block of time, so I always have them one after the other. You can imagine how awful that is.

Then there are core lessons, that are compulsory to take but you don't earn a GCSE for. These subjects are available as GCSEs, but everyone has to do core, even if they chose them. The government sees these as bare minimum lessons, which is stupid as the 4 hours a week that these waste is valuable study time. Well, Citizenship is slightly useful, but we don't need it all year.
PE - (I hate PE with a passion. Ugh. They give you more freedom, and get rid of the awful parts of the PE kit like the skirt, and allow you to wear tracksuit bottoms. You also get more choice over what subjects you do. The people stuck in core PE who hate PE all choose the easy things - so most of us are in double dodgeball, as that is easy and very fun!)
RE/ICT - (You do RE one year, and ICT on year. You have to take a test in ICT called "Basic Skills" or something similar, where (guess what!) you are tested on your basic ICT skills. It's very useful for everyone as it is good to have on your CV, and it also helps in GCSE ICT. I'm doign RE at the moment. RE is the easiest pass out there, and they offer a short course. But so many people hate RE because they couldn't give a shit about religion (most of my school is atheist. No-one believes in God, or either just don't care and are just going to do a Homer and pray on their death bed), hardly anyone wants to do the short course. For most, RE is a doss, and they just don't do the work and have it as a relax.)
Citizenship - (Oh, Citizenship, the joy! Sarcasm greatly intended. The most boring lesson ever, and we've had to endure it since year 7. It's the equivalent of PSHE, which stood for something or other and you had to take in primary school, and you have to learn stupid crap you don't care about. Another doss lesson. It's split into 3 sections this year, not sure about next. Those are human rights, careers and sex education. Human rights is a load of bollocks, but careers and sex education is quite useful. But we managed to get the crap deal of some patronizing squeaky-voiced huge woman, and until she revealed that she has a son, we had our suspicisions that she didn't know what sex was. Meh, she could have adopted...)

I also have Work Experience this year, in June. That's a week of sitting in some office, and serving the tea. Oh, fun times. /sigh
I'm going to my mum's office and filing some awful waffle on steel sales for a small family business stockholders. How they survived the recession, when I've done more work for them than those paid to do it, I do not know.

Though, next year does end in May. So at least it is over quickly.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 3:10 AM
... that sounds so confusing, Zinthos . We actually learn quite a lot in one semester, I think- I took dual credit sociology (meaning that, in addition to a high school social sciences credit, I got college credit, as well), which uses the same textbook as the equivalent university course and covers all the same material. Elective courses like sociology, psychology, biomedical science, physiology, microbiology, marine biology, etymology, and so on and so forth cover quite a bit of ground in one semester, typically the same amount covered in the same course at a university level. AP semester classes cover even more than college courses in a semester.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but in the educational system I'm in, most kids come out of high school with at least a bit of college credit from dual credit, AP, and higher ed courses. The best thing about this is the fact that, having earned college credit in high school, you can bypass introductory courses in college. Therefore, rather than waste time with 101 classes, you can take more electives and delve into courses that are more interesting to you. It's a very proactive system.

Theorist
#71 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
... that sounds so confusing, Zinthos . We actually learn quite a lot in one semester, I think- I took dual credit sociology (meaning that, in addition to a high school social sciences credit, I got college credit, as well), which uses the same textbook as the equivalent university course and covers all the same material. Elective courses like sociology, psychology, biomedical science, physiology, microbiology, marine biology, etymology, and so on and so forth cover quite a bit of ground in one semester, typically the same amount covered in the same course at a university level. AP semester classes cover even more than college courses in a semester.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but in the educational system I'm in, most kids come out of high school with at least a bit of college credit from dual credit, AP, and higher ed courses. The best thing about this is the fact that, having earned college credit in high school, you can bypass introductory courses in college. Therefore, rather than waste time with 101 classes, you can take more electives and delve into courses that are more interesting to you. It's a very proactive system.

WTF are all these etymology things?

The British system is so simple, really. You just do all the subjects until year 9, then you choose 4 that you liked and you have to do some that are compulsory.
Then, compulsory education's over, the end. You can do sixth form, where you take four lessons, then after the first year, you drop one. You get AS and A2. AS is the firstyear, so you get AS in four, and A2 in three. Or it might be the other way around... Oh, it doesnt' matter what they're called!
Alternatively, you can go to college and do a practical course.
Then you can either work, or go to University, where you take one subject and study it until it comes out of your ears.
THE END OF ALL EDUCATION EVER. Unless you get masters degrees and shit like that.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Scholar
#72 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 8:22 AM
My subjects have changed, this year i'm doing

English level 2
French curriculum level 5
History Level 1
History Level 2
Art History Level 2

and now I have 29/80 credits! Whoppee :P

Georgie. Aka Geah
Flickr × MTS Yearbook
27.11.08|17.12.08|24.06.09|06.06.10|24.07.10|19.11.2010
Kia Kaha
Scholar
#73 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 4:51 PM
Umm... yeah, sounds about the right time to revive the thread again.

So I've only got one year of coursework left (YIKES - after thirteen years of primary/secondary, and six years of university study, I'm finally done being a student?!) and since the Faculty of Education has coursework already preassigned, I know all of my courses for next year:

Semester 1: September-December 2011
- Teaching of Aboriginal Studies
- Science Methods (Early Years -> this is kindergarten to grade 4 in the Canadian/North American system, or ages 5-10 elsewhere)
- Children with Exceptionalities
- One elective course
- Field Experience C (this starts with the first week of school, then we go back to our university courses until October, and we do five more weeks in our host school)

Semester 2: January-April 2012
- Student Literacy Intervention (Early/Middle Years -> meaning it's geared towards k-8, or ages 5-13)
- Multilevel Classrooms
- Social Studies Methods (Early Years)
- One elective
- Field Experience D (this starts in early March, and we go into our host schools for seven weeks)

** We haven't gotten our list of available electives yet, because they're contemplating downsizing the range of courses available - I'm planning on taking Teaching French (Early Years) and Teaching English as an Additional Language (Early/Middle Years).
Theorist
#74 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 9:11 PM
Next year (10th grade)

Orchestra
Honors English
AP Human Geography
College Prep Biology
Honors German 3
AP Psychology
College Prep Algebra II
Gym

Hi I'm Paul!