View Single Post in: Tutorial: How to Create a Custom Subhood Template

Site Helper
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 1:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechapeau
I hope, now that we are able to, that it is OK to post here instead of in your group thread, my apologies if not!
This is fine. I just set up the other thread because some people couldn't post in this thread. Hopefully, that's been solved now.

Quote:
However there are a couple of points I would like to check with you first:

For step 2 - I renumbered the files and folders from B001, T002 and M002 to B628, T609 and M409. I hoped it wasn't it the B, T and M which were the problem, because from what I've understood you to say in the tutorial, it doesn't seem as if they should be.
That's correct. It's not the B, T and M which matter, but the entire folder name.

Quote:
The Neighborhood Type and (parent) Name in the IDNO record were already changed to match the existing folder/file numbers, but I have now of course changed them to match with the new parent name and numbers.

The only further change I could see that made sense was to 'turn' each hood back into a neighborhood (step 3a) by making it Normal and then committing and saving that change, then following the tutorial onwards from that point as if I were making all of the changes for the first time. I hope this was correct, otherwise, could you let me know what should have been done differently please?
This should be fine as long as you made the changes in the Hex view. If you ever edited the Neighborhood Type in the Plugin View, then SimPE may have corrupted your IDNO by adding extra bytes into the center of the IDNO record, which can cause problems for the game.

If you are worried that your IDNO was corrupted by SimPE, you can just create a new one. Here's how:
1) Create a new (temporary) neighborhood in your AnyGame.
2) Run SimPE, open the new neighborhood and Extract the IDNO.
3) Open your subhood and Replace the IDNO with the extracted IDNO. Save.
4) Go through the steps in the tutorial to fix the IDNO correctly.
5) Delete your temporary neighborhood, since it's no longer needed.

Quote:
You said my BV hoods conflict with each other, I hadn't picked up on that comment when I first asked for your advice, if what I've done hasn't already stopped the conflict, could you please advise me on that as well?
I never downloaded the BV hoods, so I was just going by what it said on the website. It sounds like everything should be fine now. Having a unique folder name and (parent) name should ensure that the hoods do not conflict.

Quote:
There is also a pregnancy in the business hood, it appears to work after being added to a main hood, the father shows correctly, if it's a really bad thing, I could look into editing it to make it safer.
As long as the father shows up correctly, I wouldn't worry about it. This was a major problem with the mega-hoods, so I wanted to point it out as a potential problem. I'm glad to hear that the game is handling these subhoods properly.

Quote:
I am also sorry it has taken me this long to do anything more about all of this, things came along that I couldn't ignore! I am also sorry for the wordy descriptions, I just want to make it clear where the differences were in my files before, and what they are now after the changes have been made!

My sincere thanks for all of your help with this!
No need to apologize; we all have real lives which take priority. I'm happy to help whenever you have questions. I'd love to see more subhoods available for download.