Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 2701 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 10:46 PM
Does Anyone Play Skyrim?
I personally love skyrim. I have a level 81 character and i'm a werewolf. I married Farkus from the Companions and i joined the dark brotherhood. I have dragon armor and daedric weapons. I can one hit guards and stuff. I know i'm addicted i pay it alot but not as much as the sims!
Test Subject
DELETED POST
Original Poster
26th Apr 2012 at 10:47 PM
This message has been deleted by jada1214.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
Original Poster
26th Apr 2012 at 10:48 PM
This message has been deleted by jada1214.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:03 PM
No. Not only is it not much improvement over Oblivion, but it seems designed to appeal to white nationalists with that whole 'skyrim is for the nords' shit. I've seen fan posts say that the stormcloak racism is 'justified nationalism.' What people in our world make this same argument? See stormfront.org, they love this game. And then on the official forums and gamefaqs you can see topics such as rate each race based on intelligence and 500 reasons why skyrim is for the nords, etc. So no, I don't like TES anymore because of this stuff. If it was unintentional, then Bethesda needs to explain what the hell they were thinking, because of the kinds of ideas it inspires in their fans. But aside from that, it's a shallow game with good graphics on the same GameBryo engine with the same GameBryo problems as before.
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:16 PM Last edited by Misanthrope : 26th Apr 2012 at 11:40 PM.
If you would just scroll down a bit, you would find that yes, a lot of people here do play Skyrim. There's an 8 page thread about it http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=460044

@Shoosh Malooka, what the heck?

It's just a video game. I'm sure that there's not some hidden, psychological message.
Saying that Skyrim is inspiring racism is like saying that videogames incite people to violence. It's one hell of a stretch.

And why are you attributing it to white nationalism in particular? Why not some other race?

Anyway, Skyrim is impressive in terms of graphics and the sheer length of the game.

The combat system is nothing special to talk about. And the characterization/writing is rather cliche. It's the typical "nameless person rises through the ranks, turns into a great hero, and saves the world from a Great Evil" story that has been done over and over in many other books/videogames/movies. The characters in Skyrim are rather dull and forgettable.

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr ♥ ❤ ❥
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:49 AM
Yes, I do love skyrim, and I also play stormcloak. I love the combat system (at least on the XBox) and I love the actual plotline itself, seeing as you don't have to choose one thing. You can be a thief, assassin, legendary hero or just a mercenary, among many others (even if they don't exactly have questlines)

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Alchemist
#5 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 5:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoosh Malooka
No. Not only is it not much improvement over Oblivion, but it seems designed to appeal to white nationalists with that whole 'skyrim is for the nords' shit. I've seen fan posts say that the stormcloak racism is 'justified nationalism.' What people in our world make this same argument? See stormfront.org, they love this game. And then on the official forums and gamefaqs you can see topics such as rate each race based on intelligence and 500 reasons why skyrim is for the nords, etc. So no, I don't like TES anymore because of this stuff. If it was unintentional, then Bethesda needs to explain what the hell they were thinking, because of the kinds of ideas it inspires in their fans. But aside from that, it's a shallow game with good graphics on the same GameBryo engine with the same GameBryo problems as before.

I've never thought about that before really. I think the whole "Skyrim is for the Nords!" thing is not meant to put a positive light on this sort of "nationalism". The leader of the Stormcloaks is a racist without question and not very pleasant. It makes him hard to side with - I only joined the Stormcloaks on one of my characters - a Nord! My others of other races either don't participate in the civil war, or fight for the Imperials.

As I progressed through the Stormcloak storyline on my Nord I spent each turn of the plot hoping I could change many of their principles, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

I'm sure Bethesda isn't condoning racism...they're just trying to tell a story...but there will always be idiots (white nationalists for example) who take it the wrong way. I guess it's almost identical to the "does violent video games create real-world violence" debate. Does GTA appeal to psychotic killers? Does Skyrim appeal to racists? The answer to both is probably yes, but that's not their point...that's humanity's fault. And whereas GTA is all about crime and killing and whatnot, the Skyrim political story can be ignored and you'll still have a big and great game to play.

It is also a big improvement over Oblivion too, imo.
Scholar
#6 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 9:38 PM
I had an issue with the Stormcloak ideology, as well. There's a very definite current of racism running through the ideology, and many of the Nord people will be surprised, angry, or annoyed to see a foreigner. They seem very insular. And then Stormcloak himself seems to have an active hatred for non-Nords. I don't like the imperialist ideology of the other side, either, so I feel kind of like I have to choose between the lesser of two evils. One group wants to forcibly remove people who may even be native to the land but who don't have a certain racial heritage, and the other group wants to come in and tell people that they have to live a certain way and follow the rules of an authority that they have no reason to respect, even going so far as to outlaw certain religions. Both sides are terrible.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree
I had an issue with the Stormcloak ideology, as well. There's a very definite current of racism running through the ideology, and many of the Nord people will be surprised, angry, or annoyed to see a foreigner. They seem very insular. And then Stormcloak himself seems to have an active hatred for non-Nords. I don't like the imperialist ideology of the other side, either, so I feel kind of like I have to choose between the lesser of two evils. One group wants to forcibly remove people who may even be native to the land but who don't have a certain racial heritage, and the other group wants to come in and tell people that they have to live a certain way and follow the rules of an authority that they have no reason to respect, even going so far as to outlaw certain religions. Both sides are terrible.

Interesting. I have only just got them game - thought I'd try it out after the Mass Effect 3 fiasco - and I was wondering what to do about it all. My instinct was to side with the guys at the beginning because they were obviously being hunted down by an imperialist army but from what you've said, maybe they aren't much good anyway. Do I have to side with any of them?

tbh, I'm not that impressed. It looks fabulous but I got bored pretty fast just like I did with Morrowind which I gave up on. I'm trying to tell myself to stick with it and it might get more interesting as I get more involved. Dunno. At least I like the dogs and the horses.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Alchemist
#8 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 1:04 AM
I'm pretty sure, like I said, that you can ignore the civil war altogether. But yes, both groups have faults. Imperials tell the Nords they cannot believe what they believe, cannot live the way they live, and thus deny them their culture. The resistance to this is, "Get out of Skyrim you non-Nord scum." Both sides are racist. I imagine they were created specifically this way so as not to be "black" and "white" entities. I only wish you could have a say in changing the way both groups behave. Ie, fight for the Stormcloaks and uphold Nord culture whilst allowing other races to visit and live in Skyrim without coming to harm, or fight for the Imperials and let the Nords be who they are. As I got friendly with Ulfric throughout my Stormcloak playthrough, I kept waiting for the opportunity to convince him he's wrong about a few of his ideas, but it seems I was only able to agree with him. Same with the Imperial character I have.
Fucking Awesome Nutbag
DELETED POST
28th Apr 2012 at 11:15 AM
This message has been deleted by Damocles. Reason: Ancient
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 5:27 PM
Meh ... dragons.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 3rd May 2012 at 7:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoosh Malooka

It's not built with gamebryo. Skyrim uses a new engine, which is called Creation Engine.
Last game from bethesda which was built with gamebryo was Fallout New Vegas, which was developed by obsidian entertainment.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
11th Jun 2012 at 6:20 PM
This message has been deleted by alyzabeth1990. Reason: sounded too rude. lulz
Test Subject
DELETED POST
11th Jun 2012 at 6:30 PM
This message has been deleted by alyzabeth1990. Reason: i'll probably offend a think skin even though the definition is accurate

Section jump