Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 2:28 AM
Default Just complaining about Origin again
Origin seems to "need" to update almost every month. And when it updates it takes forever. I'm waiting now because I want to play my game and it's just sitting there making the slowest slowest progress I have ever seen. I don't use any of the online-interactive features, but some of my games are digital "downloads" (obviously they lied about that, because if the game was fully installed on my machine they couldn't hold me hostage like this).

Otherwise, I've been enjoying my game except when I mess it up by overambitious fiddling.I've gotten four out of six of my existing imaginary friends to be real and I have seven alien offspring of two different pollinators, so I'm well on the way to building up my imaginary alien founding population. Though work on the world I'm planning to put them in has stalled, because if anything's more painful than Origin, it's CAW.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 3:17 AM
Origin is horrific and invasive. I have it set to not auto update ( I like life just fine on 1.67, thank you) on both the Origin settings and the EA/Launcher one, or whatever one it is, but I still don't trust it. I go offline every time I start and play my game. I have Origin set to not start on comp. start and that works. What irks me the most is that it continues running in the background after I do a "Save as" and then quit. Shutting down it's desktop icon doesn't kill it either. I have to task manager it to the depths of hell where it belongs...and even after shutting it in task manager if I go to shut my comp down in the next minute or less , odds are I get the "waiting for background programs to close"( anyone want to venture a guess as to what program is listed?) notification. I've come to expect nothing less from the company that lied about secuROM.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Scholar
#3 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 3:53 AM
I have it set so that the Origin window comes up when I close a game running through Origin. Then I choose log out, that shuts it down. Just closing it doesn't work.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 4:28 AM
I've just had my first, and I hope my last encounter with Origin. Normally I don't use it: my game was installed from discs, I'm on patch level 1.67 and that's where I'm staying. But yesterday I wanted to download Dragon Valley. So, I have my code ready, I click on 'get bundle' and am instantly taken to Origin. Which needs to update - it won't let me not update. So I let it update. And as OP said, it takes an age! Then I try to enter my code, but I find that you don't enter the code there, you enter it in Sims 3 Store! So what was the freakin' point of going into to Origin?!!! And all the time I'm downloading and installing DV, I'm wondering, 'Am I going to regret this? Will it insist on installing the latest 'updates' (in other words the infamous PATCH)?". No, fortunately not. So, it's in, I've finally got Dragon Valley - alleluia!

Oh, yes, and Origin was still running after I closed the game and I tried shutting down my laptop.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 5:41 AM
I am tremendously glad I have the steam version of Sims 3, which means Origin can go bleep itself.

I will NOT buy an Origin-only game.
Scholar
#7 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 10:10 AM
because there's any big difference between Steam and Origin, maybe?

OK. It is - Steam is less klunky. A bit. The idea is very the same.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#8 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
(in other words the infamous PATCH)?".

What infamous patch?

My main irk right now is that Origin opened and is taking ages to log me in right now. F off, Origin, I just want to play Sims 3.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
What infamous patch?
The beloved 1.69 patch.
Scholar
#10 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 1:11 PM
Yeah, that one! Should have specified, I suppose. Sorry

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Feb 2017 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
EA bought out Origin Systems from Richard Garriott back in the 90s. When Garriott left EA and Origin out of a heated disagreement over Ultima 8 and 9, EA vowed to ruin the name of Garriott's former company.

Looks like EA made good on its promise.

OMG, my hate on for EA began at that time. They took a great game series and ran it into the ground. (Garriott's company had little control over the travesties that were Ultima 8 and 9.) I feel like holding a funeral each time EA gobbles up a game company!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by songsmith_SC
OMG, my hate on for EA began at that time. They took a great game series and ran it into the ground. (Garriott's company had little control over the travesties that were Ultima 8 and 9.) I feel like holding a funeral each time EA gobbles up a game company!

Agreed with you. EA just messes up everything they touch. The perfect example is the poor SimCity 5. It's an awesome game, but EA ruined it with server issues and the uhm.. Origin. The discounts are jokes compared to Steam and many other sites. They're money hungry, lazy. But they're made some very cool games like Battlefield etc.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
because there's any big difference between Steam and Origin, maybe?

OK. It is - Steam is less klunky. A bit. The idea is very the same.

Yes, the idea is the same. But Steam has a lot more to offer, and the prices are a lot more friendly and the discounts are bigger (sometimes). And it's not forces you to log in immediately after you start the game.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 11:19 PM
And the Steam version of Sims 3 means you don't get pushed to 1.69.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 5:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
And the Steam version of Sims 3 means you don't get pushed to 1.69.

I'm still on 1.67 and my sims3 is listed on origin.

Steam vs Origin? The latter is just a bunch of commertials for it's own products. Steam offers a community with mods etc. I take Steam any day.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 3:40 PM
Steam is very welcoming and has a much bigger community tbh. And when it updates, it's very quick for me. Origin slows down my computer and takes up so many resources and it's almost a daily thing. There is absolutely no need for it, EA.

you and me together, we were gemini feed
Scholar
#17 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloSims324
Yes, the idea is the same. But Steam has a lot more to offer, and the prices are a lot more friendly and the discounts are bigger (sometimes). And it's not forces you to log in immediately after you start the game.

I wrote - "it's less klunky", still a devil's child.

BTW - Steam forced me to log in while playing F:New Vegas (but maybe it was because of some mods, I cannot be sure), and while prices are not so brain-insulting like EA's and they apparently gave up that absurd 1$ == 1€ equation, still it's *just a bit* lesser evil.

OK, I just hate "the digital f*ckups" - take that as kinda mental illnes

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"