Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 9:50 AM
Unable to export as .s3m2b / custom Window tutorial?
Hello all.
I really really want a particular style of Shoji window because it hasn't been made for Sims 3 (only could find them for Sims 2), so I am resorting to learning how to use S3PE in order to actually make use of my 3D modeling and texturing skills. Maybe even move on to hair and clothing (my specialty in other games) if I can ever succeed. My only real challenge is technical stuff like importing/exporting...
I thought that making a window should be similar difficulty level to making a buy-mode object, right?... But...

The problem is that the tutorial I am following (tutorial for making a tissue box object, perhaps that will not work for windows?), says to right-click and export the MLOD as a .s3m2b file... which for the window I cloned (the "Frat" 1x1 window), it gives no such option on the window's MLOD. Instead, it allows me to export the MLOD as a .lod file. The MODL on the other hand will export as a .model file (not sure if the MODL is used or not). Either way, I cannot import .lod or .model files into Blender, even if I force-renamed the files to .s3m2b it does not import properly.

So, now I am really lost about what to even do. What or how do window creators make custom windows? Will this tutorial really not work for cloning and modifying a window? If not, is there any such tutorial which will teach me how to do so, and in Blender? I really cannot stand Milkshape at all.

This is the tutorial I am referencing:
Simple Mesh Replacement In Blender by cmomoney

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 28th Jan 2019 at 10:40 PM
I recommend you use The Sims Resource Workshop. It exports meshes in wso format and contains plugins for MilkShape 3D to import these meshes. From there you can export them as obj to your software of choice or edit them in milkshape and export them as wso. TSRW also contains many nice tools to simplify the creation of custom content, including a footprint and slot editor.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2019 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I recommend you use The Sims Resource Workshop. It exports meshes in wso format and contains plugins for MilkShape 3D to import these meshes. From there you can export them as obj to your software of choice or edit them in milkshape and export them as wso. TSRW also contains many nice tools to simplify the creation of custom content, including a footprint and slot editor.

Thank you! I just downloaded this, and after figuring other stuff out, I managed to make it work with the wso-blender plugin to directly work between just TSRW and Blender, and even imported the window into the game (through with a graphical glitch that I will need to fix later). :D

I am however having another issue with the window, a graphic glitch, but that is completely different from this, so I will post it in another thread. XD
Thanks again.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Jan 2019 at 6:32 AM
Great if that helped but your original problem sounded like you had not installed the S3PE mesh helper for blender: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...s/803/index.htm

The first step in that tutorial gives you a bunch of things to install. http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ment_In_Blender
Some of them are dead links so it can be difficult to get stuff to work. Anyway, sounds like you already found a way around your issue.