Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated: Get Where You're Going -- Walk Around & Through Blocks

by SilentLucidity Posted 1st Mar 2009 at 7:27 PM - Updated 2nd Apr 2009 at 3:58 PM by SilentLucidity : updates and clairification

131 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 111 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 2 of 6
Test Subject
#26 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 5:00 AM
You are a freakin' genius - I like playing tiny houses but end up with complaining sims all the time - this will shut them up! And make them a little bit more intelligent too :-)

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 7:02 AM Last edited by SilentLucidity : 7th Mar 2009 at 8:00 AM.
Toxication, you don't need to download both files. If you want the blocks to show in the catalog under surfaces > miscellaneous download the first file, Through & Around Blocks.rar. If you don't want them in the catalog, the second file has the same blocks flagged to only show in the Collections folder.

If you put both sets in your game, you will end up with them showing in the catalog when you didn't want that, or NOT showing in the catalog and you didn't want that.

There is an invisible recolor included. Thanks for mentioning that, plasticbox. I did amend the post.

CatOfEvilGenius, they do work with garden plants. That's actually the first thing I used them on.

ChibiGamer, you just have to make sure everything around the real plants are put on the blocks--just having the bush or flower plot on one of these won't make it accessible to the Sim if it's surrounded by other objects they can't get around.

snowmoon2001, yes, you can put your dining chairs on these blocks and then set the blocks around the table to make it more accessible. **Edited to say that it seems to be touch and go how well they work with chairs and the SnapObjectsToGrid False cheat. In my various games I've found that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Reyn, you can put toilets and showers on these to make smaller bathrooms, but I've found that sometimes there is a problem with Sims using both at the same time. I tried a two tile bathroom with a door at the end, then the shower, then the toilet. If a Sim was using the toilet, the other Sim didn't want to use the shower. I haven't done extensive experimenting though, so other arrangements may work better.

eletrodj, the problem with the end table stuff is that you can't have a slot that will hold heavy objects and end table stuff at the same time. For the Walk Around blocks I did try setting them to only hold end table sized stuff but it still didn't hold them (because it's not using the proper end table semi-globals, maybe, so the game knows it's not an end table?)

When I tried using an actual end table to make the Walk Around block I couldn't get the 'walk around' to work--it blocked Sims' paths.

I could get the 'walk through' to work, but it seemed redundant to make when the end table shelf in my other set does the same thing; but I guess I could remake it for this set, in two sizes...
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 9:20 AM
Thank you for this great great piece of work!!
Great idea -from now on I can cllutter my hallways with teddy bears *rofl*

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Mad Poster
#29 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 9:48 AM
Fantastic idea... and so useful ! Thanks a lot for sharing
Instructor
#30 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Have you tried this with garden plants? Shrubs and such? If it works with them, I'll finally be able to make more realistic gardens.

For a garden setting, there is a mod to allow you to water all flowers on the lot, which might be more convenient, at http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=288772.
This download is so cool, though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
For a garden setting, there is a mod to allow you to water all flowers on the lot, which might be more convenient, at http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=288772.
This download is so cool, though.

Yeah, that's true, it probably would be. I just use Perfect Plants, by twojeffs over at Simbology, which completely takes away the need to water flower plots or trim bushes. He also has one for Seasons gardens, but my Sims actually like that kind of gardening.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 1:04 PM Last edited by psychosim0 : 2nd Mar 2009 at 1:19 PM.
the report part: *typo got fixed*

the thanks part: Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow!!! That opens a whole new level of quality of living to my messy sims! Great idea, awesome work, thank you very much!

oh, and that sim is suicidal I think.

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 1:11 PM
Eek, sorry about that! It's fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out, psychosim0
Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 3:28 PM
Yay! Now I don't need to shout at my sims for doing their ridiculous "Stomp Dance"! (Which is quite funny by the way. LOL. "Stomp Dance". Hehe)
Much Thanks!
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#35 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 7:23 PM
That's AWESOME XD!!!! Simply... perfect!!

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Scholar
#36 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 10:32 PM
Yes this solves a lot of problems as far as sims complaining when an object is blocking their way. this is platinum
Mad Poster
#37 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 11:48 PM
*standing ovation* This will work with my sim season gardens if I put all the plots on this, right? That would be so cool to try out, but I am in my game right now. Bookmarking and d'ling this tomorrow. Now I can make kooky styled gardens the way I want with the trees. No more lined up gardens for me.

Thanks so much!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 6:38 AM
lewisb40 , umm, I'm not so sure about putting Season's garden plots on these. I've never tried that, and I rather think it probably wouldn't work--possibly it might if you used the Garden Plot Vertical Position Fix by mike_1102, but again, I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.

It does work with the live bushes and flower plots that came with the base game.

It also works to put objects on these and then lay them over the garden plots--the garden plots are still usable.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 8:29 AM
These are awesome!!!

But I've got a question: How did you manage that they don't show up in the Catalog, but can be choosen from the Collection? I have tried this several times and the result was always grey items which could not be placed.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#40 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 5:31 PM
Color me stunned. Thanx!

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bienchen83
These are awesome!!!

But I've got a question: How did you manage that they don't show up in the Catalog, but can be choosen from the Collection? I have tried this several times and the result was always grey items which could not be placed.

Yeah, that happened to me the first time I tried, too. The trick is to keep 'Misc" checked in the "Room Sort" tab of OBJD. If you just uncheck everything the game thinks it's just not available for use on residential lots. (If the object has been flagged to show in the community catalog, it still will.)
#42 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 7:06 PM
Oops, there`s so much to choose from here, and I can`t make heads or tails of what is in which archive. Would you be willing to list all of the objects you have for download here, and which archives each one is available in? I`m confuzzled. I`ve looked at the display that the magnifying glass hides, and that just confused me more, when it usually clears things up for me.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#43 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:09 PM Last edited by SilentLucidity : 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:34 PM.
GeneralOperationsDirector, the archive Through & Around Blocks.rar has four blocks: two that enable Sim walk-through of objects placed on them and two that enable Sim walk-around of objects placed on them. These blocks hold anything except objects that have restricted placement to coffee/end tables like table lamps and small electronics.

The archives that have "end table" in the name hold the objects the first four wouldn't hold (but not heavy stuff shown in the pics). The archive name also says what type of intersectability the blocks allow--walk-though or walk-around. (Note the walk-around end table ones require OFB.)

Each archive has a double which says clearly "NOT in Catalog". If you want the blocks but you don't want them crowding the Buy Mode Catalog, these archives have blocks that will only show in the Collections folder.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 6:38 PM
To the OFB version:

The small electronics (phones, etc.) are nonfunctional. You have to change the package to be recognized as end table (change the globals and import the respective Int and main) and add a route slot to the object be functional.

If the walk around and through be nonfunctional, do the same thing that you change to the Sims can do this.

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 6:40 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I will definately try this soon.

And thanks again for the download as well. It's simply fabulous!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 7:30 PM Last edited by SilentLucidity : 4th Mar 2009 at 8:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by eletrodj
To the OFB version:

The small electronics (phones, etc.) are nonfunctional. You have to change the package to be recognized as end table (change the globals and import the respective Int and main) and add a route slot to the object be functional.

If the walk around and through be nonfunctional, do the same thing that you change to the Sims can do this.

Well, darnit! I didn't try phones with it. I filled a room with stereos for the Sim to navigate around and I though for sure he turned one on and started dancing. It may have been a different version, though, I went through so many.

I'll look into that--sorry.

-edit- It was obviously a different version, as I've just tried it and you are right--objects placed on the End Table Walk Around set cannot be interacted with. (The End Table Walk Through set works fine though.)

For now I've just changed the post to reflect that problem. I have beat my head against the wall trying to get the 'can be stepped over' BHAV to apply to an end table and it just doesn't work for me, so that set is just going to be for decorative purposes only, for picture takers and movies makers and whatnot.
#47 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 7:41 PM
I`m still a little unclear here.

You have the following:

* One archive with four meshes and four recolor files.
* One archive with two meshes and two recolor files NOT labled for OFB.
* One archive with two meshes and two recolor files labled for OFB.

You also have three more archives that fit the above descriptions, except that they are [clearly labeled as] not-in-catalog versions.

I do not have Open for Business installed *yet*, but if I want the whole set, but do not want to download duplicate packages, do I have to download all three archives in either of those two groups, or are some of the packages included in more than one archive within a group?

Once I figure out what to download, I will DEFINITELY be downloading!

Fake Edit: After writing that, and before posting, I noticed that you`ve updated your main post with the answers I was needing. THANK YOU! Downloading!

Field Researcher
#48 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 7:54 PM
wow, great idee and great items!

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Field Researcher
#49 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
I`m still a little unclear here.

You have the following:

Fake Edit: After writing that, and before posting, I noticed that you`ve updated your main post with the answers I was needing. THANK YOU! Downloading!

I was too lazy to do that yesterday. If you don't get it send me a PM and I can try on Saturday, because there's no classes. :D

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
#50 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 8:21 PM
Nah, the edits you made to your main post already cleared things up enough for me. That`s why I posted that as a Thanks post instead of as a Feedback post. It was the "Okay, to try to ward off any more confusion" section that did the trick. Thank you!

Page 2 of 6