Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 5:57 AM
Neighborhood Blue Water Graphics Card Question
I'm really sorry if this isn't the right spot. I read for over an hour on this and I just wanted to ask a quick question.

As many other people had, my neighborhood has that ugly, blocky blue water. I am pretty desperate to get rid of it. I was planning on changing that with the help from this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=479610. I tried finding my graphics card on the list, but it's not on there or it's there and under a different name.

I'm running the Sims 2 on Windows 7 (that's not even listed either) with a Intel(R) HD Graphics Family as my 'display adapter' (which I'm guessing that's my graphics card). I'm also running Mansion and Garden Stuff.

I just need a quick yes or no if it will mess up my computer. I don't want to do it if the laptop is going to be ruined.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 7:28 AM
The ugly blocky water is the chip not handling the graphic requirements of the game. You probably has smooth edges greyed out as well. Integrated graphics is just a chip and not a dedicated graphics card. Intel would have people believe it's powerful and suitable for gaming when it's really rubbish and mainly suited to email, web surfing and playing things like Tetris, unless you don't mind shortening the life of your lap top. It will play some games and look fine, but often it's being slowly damaged until one day it just stops working and even melts. I would suggest you turn off shadows and reflections and never play when your lap top gets hot.

Also yeah, this belongs on the tech board or game help, this area is to talk about game play.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#3 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 9:35 AM
Hi and welcome to MTS! Hope you have a nice stay.

Unfortunately, no - Intel Graphics isn't even a graphics card - it's a graphics chip. Those are underpowered and serve for nothing but plain web surfing, checking e-mail and playing 98's Tetris.

I tried adjusting my graphics like that when I had Intel Graphics - the water and the grass are 'nice', but the game was lagging a lot when in neighborhood view, and from the lot I'd sometimes get some baby faces instead of grass textures (yes. Baby faces). So, I'd strongly recommend you to get a better graphics card and not modify your graphics while running on Intel.

I'll update my tutorial by adding info about Intel's card.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 10:05 AM
I'd only trust Intel's Iris Pro Graphics 5200 for running TS2 anything below would be tragic. I used to run TS2 and TS3 on a GMA4500MHD, it was horrible!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 4:09 PM
You might have a quick search of this forum - there was a thread about the blocky water and hay terrain and possible solutions to it. It wasn't that long ago and there seemed to be some useful information.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc