Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:01 PM
Default Bin Lane houses for the bin sims
I have built each bin Sim family a house - yes, all of them, according to their budget, lifetime wants, careers, etc. (this is for a new hood where I intend to play only the bin Sims and not add any CAS sims). Here are a few pics as examples:

The Goodies (1 Bin Lane)

and floor plan

(Herbie (Science) and Faith (criminal career) have been catered for with skill objects and 2 bathrooms for the elder bladders. The second bedroom is intended for the child they are going to adopt in my hood. Also a fruit tree for Herbie, since he gets into nature by studying cleaning.

The Newsons

floor plan

I made it very colorful to cheer up the poor things:

The house is large enough, skill objects for a bit of fun added too - and thanks to Michelle's Ikea recolors it looks quite happy.

And then - Chester Gieke (my beloved odd Sim) - I based his little house on a South African bungalow, those where guests at game reserves and the Kruger
National Park stays - but (we call them 'rondawels' which means round house - is also found on farms, in back yards used as extra space and is of course based on traditional African huts). Here are 2 examples of real ones:

And here is Chester's house:

Floor plan

And another view

Chester needs an easel for the criminal career - he does not need an expensive telescope, but I know one makes him happy

So - do you think I should upload them (one at a time, obviously) - I am not sure how many players will actually be interested in bin Sim houses.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 10:03 PM
I love the outside of the Newson's house but overall that house and the Goodies is way too big on the inside.

First thing I notice with the Goodies is that large wall right at the front. I'm thinking if you could shrink that house down to cottage size it would look a whole lot better, but even if you shaved off one tile it might do to decrease that wall.

With the Newson's inside I would make the kitchen and bathroom area a whole lot smaller unless you have some design idea to fill it up. Right now that bathtub looks kind of lost. One way of filling a large bathroom that I've done before is to put the tub up on a stage then the stage and steps uses the room up.

I think Chester's is good as is, it just needs some terrain paint and plants around the pond. You could switch him to the cheap telescope if money is an issue. Another way of getting extra money is to use carpet for rugs. If you control F the tiles you make a triangle design. I did that in my last upload if you want to take a look. What flooring does the bathroom and kitchen have? I would make that tile or lino, the tiled lino is always a good cheap stranded.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 10:47 PM
Exterior of the Newsons and Goodies house looks a bit bland...

The Goodies home has that prolongated, empty wall. You could fix that with changing the windows position on it and placing additional window on the roof wall. Or you could also place a fireplace at the end of that hall, ao that the chimney fills up the empt space on the wall.

Newsons home has a great layout, and colors, but is a bit too big (We all know why). You could fix the overall look of their home, by changing the roof slope to the lowest as you can. It would make the home look more modern, which would justify it's lenght.

I agree with joandsarah77, Chester's house is good as it is.

Overall, I love the colors and the landscaping in your creations, but you need to work a bit more on the exterior. I have nothing to say on interior, as I am no expert for that aspect. All I can say is that baththubs should alwas be turned around with their handles facing the wall.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 11:11 PM
Thank you! Yes - I always have to turn the bath tubs around
I agree to the window needed - I could possibly add another one or so with the budget.
I did not try to decorate to the maximum - rather tried to keep within their budgets and still give them skill and fun objects. In my game I would add stuff as and when the money comes in since the space is there already.
So I will look at the houses from a different point of view first . I really appreciate your feedback!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I love the outside of the Newson's house but overall that house and the Goodies is way too big on the inside.

First thing I notice with the Goodies is that large wall right at the front. I'm thinking if you could shrink that house down to cottage size it would look a whole lot better, but even if you shaved off one tile it might do to decrease that wall.

With the Newson's inside I would make the kitchen and bathroom area a whole lot smaller unless you have some design idea to fill it up. Right now that bathtub looks kind of lost. One way of filling a large bathroom that I've done before is to put the tub up on a stage then the stage and steps uses the room up.

I think Chester's is good as is, it just needs some terrain paint and plants around the pond. You could switch him to the cheap telescope if money is an issue. Another way of getting extra money is to use carpet for rugs. If you control F the tiles you make a triangle design. I did that in my last upload if you want to take a look. What flooring does the bathroom and kitchen have? I would make that tile or lino, the tiled lino is always a good cheap stranded.

Flooring in the real ones are almost always concrete, but I guess that won't matter too much if I use a cheaper one - and, yes, the rug is not cheap.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 8:32 PM
I think the Newsons' house is quite beautiful. My Newsons would think they'd died and gone to heaven if they woke up in it.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 9:46 PM
I agree with jo, the rooms are much too big. Especially bathrooms, the items look lost. I also think it looks weird to have the same flooring in the entire house, for the Newsons house.

The following is primarily aimed at the Newsons house
I get what you are saying about expanding as the funds arrive, but I don't think it quite works for an uploaded lot. It doesn't have to be jam-packed and using every inch of the lot, but there should be a balance between space having a purpose and there being room to expand. For example, the bathroom next to the kitchen is bigger than all bedrooms except the nursery. A huge bathroom is unusual, but bigger than the rooms you live in? It doesn't make architectural sense, nor living-in-sense. There's a lot of room that has no purpose. If you cut the out the part with the living room and the outside area, you could fit all of the same things and still have space left over. Over all, I'd say reduce the size of kitchens, bathrooms, and hallways. The other rooms are okay in terms of size and filling.

If you don't want to furnish more because you think it should come as funds come, and you don't want to shrink it, I would say go entirely unfurnished, or only basic fixtures (bathroom objects, counters, stove, fridge). Otherwise the empty space looks weird.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:06 PM
Thank you @Gummilutt -
I guess that is where living in different countries plays a role - we have big houses in rural towns with big rooms in general, and the kitchen is either big or part of a big living area. The same flooring throughout the house (tiles, normally, often slate) is often used throughout the house (I live in my 3rd house like that) and in my 3rd house I have, for the first time, encountered the small bathroom So I have actually kept the bathrooms what to me is normal size and made the bedrooms a lot smaller - and forgot about the balance altogether.

I could furnish it more - but then it would be too expensive for the Newsons, so I aimed to furnish it with what (I think) they really need! I will consider the basic fixtures.

@AndrewGloria - thank you
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:36 PM
I would just try and make them smaller, you would save money doing that as well. There is always a balance when uploading a lot because it needs to have appeal to a wider audience than just yourself. I hardly ever use basins in bathrooms in houses I use myself, I would rather remove it and place a shower or a second toilet for a couple but if I upload it I make sure it has a basin.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 7:27 AM
Thank you. I will keep everything in mind for future reference