Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 4:37 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 15th Sep 2017 at 4:48 PM.
Default What can you build on Beach level Lots?
Not the actual beach lots, but residential and community lots. Every-time I try to play a house bin lot on these areas, they just "sink down" filled with water, so I probably will build on these areas as I play instead of using already-made copies. I use the edited version of Veronaville by M.M.A.A for my hood, but have changed the terrain with Modify-terrain Cheat and added more lakes and beach areas. It has two beaches that are lying on opposite direction of each other, next to a hill. On the opposite side of the beach road beside the hill, a local cemetery/graveyard is placed, but because of the entire area is leveled to beaches, I struggling what to build on it (and would fit placed next a cemetery. Rather than using it as Main centre for social activities, I use it an area for Industry and Slums, my English is a bit lacking, but those waters where you dump trashes, I've another beach area for actual beaches My hood is pre-modern so I found a water dump make more sense than factories)..

This is how the area looks without any lots beside the graveyard, shown in Spoilers

Any ideas how to deal with terrain that's leveled to beaches and what to build on these, without adding an actual beach lots?
As I plan to use it for a Industry district, I was thinking of community lots and possible tiny lots for homeless sims. (which I got inspired from movies/dramas, where they lived near water), but not what and how to build them to suit the terrain level. :P
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:38 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th Sep 2017 at 5:55 PM.
If you want to pull your hair out, try making a hotel. I made a few of those both for my main hood and my vacation hood. You'd have to deal with Freezy the housekeeper, though, so I don't know if that would fit in with your idea, but she could simply be an annoying staff member who insists on keeping the place clean. Once you HAVE the hotel working without Freezy freezing, there is a genuine sense of accomplishment, I can attest.

However, Freezy notwithstanding, you could have a one-star motel-like place. Make it shabby. Sims would need to earn Simoleons to stay there. The cost is pretty pricey, though, so you'd have to keep the rooms really, really simple. When I started messing with the Infamous Box Motel, I found you could even leave out the shower for each room, as others found out before me.

If you don't want to DIY, I believe joandsarah77 made a good motel for this purpose. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=501683 . Mine are CC-d to the hilt. I'm not sure what size your lot is, though.

If you have the NPC Cook mod from Simlogical, you could also have a sort of soup kitchen building. No motel .... just the soup kitchen.

As for residences, abandoned lots with plenty of debris and a ground mattress or a cot scattered around (Raynuss has good cots, but the site got photobucketed ... I'll see if there is any way to replicate the camping picture later, but I'm about to go out for lunch, and will be pretty busy today. Special occasion today. The lots could be community OR residences. I've done both of those as well. A ground mattress with dirty bedding might work better than a cot, though, or the shabby sofa in the game. TSR has a haystack bed as well.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:59 PM
I'd say, my poor you, your only option if you really want to play these lots would be to use a beach level 'Hood.
The question would be more : Where can i place a beach level lot to avoid flooding? And the answer would most probably be..On a beach level neighborhood.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 10:32 PM Last edited by gazania : 16th Sep 2017 at 3:48 AM.
Maybe an abandoned beach lot residence? Make a template in case you want to do a good version in the future.

Do the abandoned one. Grunge it up as much as you want, using CC or Maxis.

Concerning the payment ... though the house was abandoned and your Sims are squatting, someone is demanding "protection money". They will have to get together and do what they can to rake up the monthly hush money, or the extortionist will send someone to wreak havoc.

I think I've been watching way, way too many bad crime movies.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 8:12 AM
Factories.
A clothing factory, with rows of the sewing machines, selling stuff to shop owner - and a robot factory with a bunch of sleazy servo makers - and a pottery factory.
They don't have to be big, we have some tiny factories here, but they can be.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 5:29 PM
I plan to build a small boardwalk with a beach lot. That way some people can walk and picnic (YES CC! I LOVE USABLE PICNIC BASKETS) on the beach or go shopping.

I'm also going to make a small carnival on a beach lot next to it! I just haven't gotten around to any of this yet...

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AliaD85
That way some people can walk and picnic (YES CC! I LOVE USABLE PICNIC BASKETS) on the beach or go shopping.

Haha I'm glad you like it :P

My hood is a lot more modern day than yours, but I plan on having 4 lots that make up a boardwalk:
- One (that I've finished) is a small funfair I call Amusements
- One will be a place to buy fresh fish from the fish market or sims can eat at the ocean side seafood restaurant.
- One will be a public beach with a lighthouse as a tourist attraction.
- One will have a docked boat, I might have it be a restaurant or a hotel, or both.
All of these are subject to change depending on what else I can think of :P
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 9:29 PM
if you need help with building beach lots, Sims Resource has a tutorial. http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...s_of_Beach_Lots
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 9:39 PM
I might be the only one who got the part where Florentzina had to deal with flooded sinking building? Caused by lots initially built on lower beach terrain, which she intends to use on a higher terrain...
All your ideas are good, be it for a beach or any other place..but what is convenient about a flooded basement clothing factory ?..Or how can a boardwalk funfair be used, if it sinks into water..I mean, just think about how dangerous it is to mix electric wiring + flooded ground. Hence my first comment.

Alchemist
#10 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 9:50 PM
there is another tutorial for building lots that contain water.
http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...ng_Coastal_Lots
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 10:45 PM
Yes, I meant the dilemma that cause flooding when placing lots on beach level areas. The entire area in the picture in first post is beach leveled, but sometimes when I try to place binned or downloaded lots on these parts, the lot get flooded. What I actually meant was that I asked HOW to build regular lots on beach level lots, not actual beach zoned lots but residental or community NON-beach lots, that is, as these are the ones that's I experience flooding. For example, once I tryied to add Gwrych prison next to the beach (sandy parts), but it just get flooded.

So I am kind of confuse why some lots cause flooding, while others doesn't. Sorry for formulating myself badly.
Though ideas on what to build on beaches doesn't really hurt either, as I've read that beach zoned lots are a bit trickier. Usually I just add beaches there, but it feels a bit odd to have a family beach and shopping district next to a slum/ trash dump area, so I need to learn what other things to build.

Rosebine: The entire area around the beach ARE beach leveled and flat, still certain regular raised lots, sinks down. (I mean shouldn't it suppose to opposite, placing beach level lots on regular terrain? )
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:19 AM
I am pretty sure whether a lot sink and get flooded or don't sink, depends on the level of the terrain it was initially built on/packaged in. Beach-able 'Hoods must be very low..otherwise, no shores. If lots keeps their original built level..then a lot built on a Beach-level 'Hood, will look like it sinks, on a higher-made terrain/normal non-beach 'Hood.
As always, I might be wrong.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:35 AM
Here is some info on placing lots that might help, from iCad:

"The thing with beach lots is that they are different than regular lots. Regular lots force the neighborhood terrain to conform to the shape of the lot being placed.
Beach lots do not do this. Instead, they conform to the shape of the terrain they’re placed on"

I think this means you'll either have to place lots there yourself and build on them so they don't distort the terrain, or only place lots that have been built on a similar terrain, so they won't sink too much.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 4:15 AM Last edited by gazania : 18th Sep 2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Modifyneighborhoodterrain can work in certain instances.
IF I RECALL ... and that is IF ... I thought I read somewhere that there are three different types of beach terrain, outside of flattened lots (which I admit that I prefer, and often use. However, though there are flattened beach lot buildings out there for download, there aren't many.)

One is a very high slope, and one is a very low slope (I prefer this the most if I don't flatten), so I would presume that the third would be a middle ground.

In my experience, trying to place one lot suited for one particular beach terrain in a place with the wrong elevation can cause all sorts of problems, including flooding and even crashing. Again in my experience, if I or the lot creator altered the terrain slightly, I can sometimes get away with putting a slightly-altered lot in a terrain category closest to its layout, but sometimes ... no way. Such is the nature of these picky lots.

Flooding is kind of inevitable with most downloadable lots that have a basement, lowered area or a pond, and yes, non-beach areas are really prone to this. In some cases, I was able to mitigate the effect with an area with a pond by moving the pond at least two tiles away from the edges in a junk replica of the hood and making it juuust deep enough for the fish, but no deeper. Then I package the newer version. My success rate with that, though, is not as high as I'd like, but I'm working on that!

EDIT ... using modifyneighborhoodterrain seems to work in the case of at least some affected lots. My lot with a partially-above-ground basement seemed to be OK with just a slight elevation. I did elevate a much larger area to avoid wonky roads. A slight elevation also got rid of the beachiness. I am still not sure if doing this with beach lots would be advisable, though, finicky things that they are.

Another possible option ... HUGE maybe ... would be to mess around with Grid Adjuster and see if you can elevate the lot that way. For that, absolutely, utterly, without a doubt back up your game and make a junk hood! My experience with Grid Adjuster, though has been limited to sinking foundations and putting apartments over community lots (which I've done all of once, and of course can't find where I found the tutorial ... WCIF is next.) I'm afraid I have pitifully limited experience with using it on beach lots. Hopefully, someone more experienced can stop by. (Though it is pretty intriguing, and something that might be interesting for me or others to try one day! Might be the best way to get rid of newly-made pools in the basement ...)

Grid Adjuster: http://modthesims.info/d/327439

As you see, you might have to futz with settings ... a lot!

More stuff. This has come up before. http://modthesims.info/t/456732

I find that before placing a beach lot, it really is a must to do it on a junk replica because often, not only will you get a flooded lot, but you get a beachy effect all around the lot. While you can fix some of it with terrain paints, much of it you cannot, and the effect can look odd. You can often re-do the beachy area to a large extent by moving the lot and using modifyneighborhood terrain, though.

Real-life seaside houses often have stilts. That could be another approach, though I doubt a prison has stilts!