Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:26 PM
Bye-bye outdoors CC!
So if I understand the walk-thru movie, its highly difficult to add weather to objects/stuff in general... So not only will our lovely outdoor plants and recolours be completely redundant (redundent?), they will look really out of place if we don't delete them!!!

Not to mention custom roofs, and maybe even doors and windows...
Sure the more basic ones will be updated soon enough... But I can see this as being a hugely effective way for EA/Maxis to get rid of CC for good, at least outside the house!

Any arguments against? Id be glad to hear them... :eviltongu

Myshuno!!!

Awesome word: Risorial (rye-sor'-ee-al) adj. pertaining to laughter; causing laughter; risible (rizz'-ibb-ul).
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:33 PM
Uh...I'm positive Maxis said that weather will be compatible with custom objects.
Scholar
#3 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:34 PM
Yep...I remember that too. CC is compatible.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:35 PM
Hmm same here, I am pretty sure I read somewhere it would be ok with all our CC not counting hacks of course but that's typical for any EP. Why wouldn't our CC work? I am lost a little as to that.
Scholar
#5 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:36 PM
I recall them saying that snow will accumulate on ANYTHING outdoors...but I don't think the leaves will fall off all trees made from new meshes.......hummmmm

Wait...the leaves don't 'fall' off.......piles just appear on the ground and the color of the leaves on the trees change......

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 9:39 PM
First, you assume everyone will buy seasons and that they will settle for the hand full of oddly styled windows, plus the half dozen nice, but oh-so boring Maxis windows.

Second, you seriously underestimate the talent, perserverance and down right cussed stubborness of some of our CC heros.

At this point, I doubt I'll ever buy seasons. I don't play all thet much any more, and when I do play, I don't see that Seasons would add much to my enjoyment.
#7 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 11:47 PM
It'll be okay. At least snow falls on most of the outdoors items, which I am happy with. A few items might be messed up in the process, but I fully believe that the modders can deal with it and fix their items. You have to adjust with every expansion pack.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 11:49 PM
Can't say that I mind one bit
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 1:50 AM
I also know they said cc would be compatible...but its the lighting mod that probably wouldn't work, and since they have basically added that feature it should be fine.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zilaphone3190
But I can see this as being a hugely effective way for EA/Maxis to get rid of CC for good, at least outside the house!

And another thing too. Why do people always think that Maxis/EA hates Custom Content. To be honest, I remember them saying somewhere that they love it when people make things for their game. They support custom content, not at war with it.
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 4:42 AM
"Loving" the custom content comes with the implication that it follows basic guidelines. The more "rules" it breaks, the less willing they are to support it.

I would be happy to see an improvement in the lighting. I don't entirely like the lighting scheme I have in Nightlife; but I am wholly frustrated with GunMod's lighting. If there were a possibility of some in-between system, that might be good.

I won't even try ChocolatePi, as I heard that one disables bump maps, which means no good centipede on Ciem's chest. It is fundamentally frustrating to work on those chest and back centipedes, only to have the game reject them. (That's not even going into the impossibility of making a working mask, and having to use face paint and Photoshop-out the undesired details).
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 4:43 AM
I'm glad Maxis/EA took into consideration the fact that many people use CC for their games. But also remember, that there are several CC objects by Maxis intended for use outside (the shrub topiaries). So what would they have to gain by making it so that their OWN objects don't work? :confused: That's just my opinion. Where are you getting your information from?

Ciao,
~M~
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 7:49 AM
From one of the developer interviews, they said that the snow that piles up on objects is procedural, meaning that it's not actually coded into the OBJECT how the snow piles up, but is coded into the SNOW... So, the only way that I see the snow looking wrong on an objects is if the object creator did something wrong in their mesh, and it doesn't match the texture.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. =)
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ijRoberts
So, the only way that I see the snow looking wrong on an objects is if the object creator did something wrong in their mesh, and it doesn't match the texture.

The only way I can see the snow looking wrong on an object is if the custom mesh and the surface of the base object (like a table or chair) somehow don't match up. For instance, some outdoor tables with umbrellas attached, where the snow might fall on the table surface but not on the umbrella. Or an outdoor chair with a too thick cushion, where the snow might appear to land slightly into the cushion.

Really, there's nothing to worry about. It's silly to jump to the conclusion that Maxis hates your CC based on a concern that's already been addressed - weather works with custom content. It doesn't seem to be a part of the object files themselves, so there will be no need to 'add weather to objects/stuff in general'.
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 3:39 AM
From what i can understand from all those past articles that i have read, the snow on top of objects would be in a shape of layers on top of the actual objects. Not textured into the objects.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CormorantEnt
I would be happy to see an improvement in the lighting. I don't entirely like the lighting scheme I have in Nightlife; but I am wholly frustrated with GunMod's lighting. If there were a possibility of some in-between system, that might be good.

I won't even try ChocolatePi, as I heard that one disables bump maps, which means no good centipede on Ciem's chest. It is fundamentally frustrating to work on those chest and back centipedes, only to have the game reject them. (That's not even going into the impossibility of making a working mask, and having to use face paint and Photoshop-out the undesired details).

Chocolate Pi's mod turns the shaders off; however I have used it with the shaders active, so allowing bumpmapping. At the moment I use Chesspieceface's version:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,4108.0.html
There are also other alternatives- for example this Ambience mod:
http://www.gaysimsclub2.net/forums/...053&hl=ambience
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by YamLin
The only way I can see the snow looking wrong on an object is if the custom mesh and the surface of the base object (like a table or chair) somehow don't match up. For instance, some outdoor tables with umbrellas attached, where the snow might fall on the table surface but not on the umbrella. Or an outdoor chair with a too thick cushion, where the snow might appear to land slightly into the cushion.

Thank you YamLin, this is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it in a MUCH more coherant way! My terminology was off!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 4:18 PM
I share ijRoberts' and YamLin's concerns, but as it's procedral I think it should be fairly advanced enoguh to realise to only slightly cover the hypothetical table, and pile up a bit on the umbrella. Also there was a picture here (sims resource review) , down near the winter section where we see how snow is also aware of roofing, porches and such and only settles there slightly due to the roof above.
So hopefully even though our custom content will be fully functional with the snow, it works on meshes and not the tiles, like a dis-figured-mesh (or something) umbrella.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FreakAboutSims
And another thing too. Why do people always think that Maxis/EA hates Custom Content. To be honest, I remember them saying somewhere that they love it when people make things for their game. They support custom content, not at war with it.

they have tons of links to CC sites on the sims2 ea website...even paysites