Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 4:36 PM
Default The "Can I Play TS2 On This Computer?" Thread # 156,284
I like to try and be honest when I can.

Browsing for a new laptop, had a couple in mind. Both are Lenovos, and would be fresh from the store, so it would be running Wind 10.

#1: Ideapad 110 Touch
Quad-Core AMD A8-7410
AMD Radeon R5
4GB, 1 TB (hard drive)
(leaning towards this one, honestly)

#2: Ideapad 320S
Dual-Core i7-7500U
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
8GB, 256GB SSD

Honestly, as long as it would last at least 2 or 3 years without exploding on me, it's fine if neither runs TS2 optimally on super-high graphics everything, as long as I can semi-decently run it on mid-graphics with a fair amount of CC.

Almost forgot to mention, I have all EPs and SPs.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 9:00 PM
The latter will be absolutely fine. I'm not sure about the former - it sounds like the R5 is pretty weak.

An SSD will give you stonking loading times, though I know that sacrificing 750GB in a laptop is a big price to pay .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 7:58 PM
Ah, thank you. Honestly, I was mostly attracted to the first one because of the price and the large memory, but my main concern was the graphics card and it lasting, I can definitely wait longer and pay a bit more for that!

Worse comes to worse and I actually need more memory, I can just get one of those portable drive things you plug in (actual term escaping me at the moment), I would rather have the faster load time. Just because I know from experience I can deal with 20 min. load times it doesn't mean I'm in any hurry to go back to it!
I'm also pretty sure that even if I let myself go absolutely nuts with CC I still wouldn't need an entire Tetrebyte for just Sims stuff. Might be intervention time if it ever comes to that.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 11:37 AM Last edited by Kunder : 8th Sep 2017 at 1:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
Ah, thank you. Honestly, I was mostly attracted to the first one because of the price and the large memory, but my main concern was the graphics card and it lasting, I can definitely wait longer and pay a bit more for that!

Worse comes to worse and I actually need more memory, I can just get one of those portable drive things you plug in (actual term escaping me at the moment), I would rather have the faster load time. Just because I know from experience I can deal with 20 min. load times it doesn't mean I'm in any hurry to go back to it!
I'm also pretty sure that even if I let myself go absolutely nuts with CC I still wouldn't need an entire Tetrebyte for just Sims stuff. Might be intervention time if it ever comes to that.
I have several Lenovo T420 laptops, with nVidia graphics, and Win7Pro.

Sims 2 plays smooth as glass on all of them. most are i5, one is an i7. Four have 8gb/Ram and 7200rpm, 750gb HDD, and the other three, have 16gb/Ram, and 1tb, 7200rpm HDD.

Can't beat the T420 for a budget Simming machine! If you're handy, you can get a "fixer-upper" as cheap as $60, or a GTG one for around $350. Make sure it has at least 8gb/ram, and a minimum of a 750gb 7200rpm HDD, and nVidia graphics!

I build laptops, specifically for Simming. I've tested just about everything out there with TS2.

BTW, They play TS3/TS4 just as nicely.

If you have the budget, the Lenovo W530, with nVidia K1000/2000 graphics, and Win7Pro, is one, WICKED, Simming machine!

If you have MORE Money:
Lenovo Y410p/510, with removable, and exchangeable graphics cards, and Win8.1, are the BEST!

Honestly? Stay away from laptops with Radeon graphics, as they're not considered "Dedicated" graphics, but in fact, are "On Board" graphics, which means they're integrated on the CPU. Sims are just as CPU intensive, as they are graphic intensive. You'll probably overheat the CPU running Sims2, unless your graphics are "Dedicated".

I had a Toshi Satellite, with A8 processor, 8gb/Ram, 1tb 5400rpm HDD, and R7(Radeon) graphics, and it ran really hot running TS2, and the graphics struggled with it a little bit. The T420/nVidia combo, is a MUCH better "Gamer".

My load time on my 16gb T420, is between 15, and 45 seconds, depending on if I try to jump right into the game after startup (30-45 sec), or after It's been on a bit (15 sec). I don't have as much CC as some of you, but I still have a pretty hefty "Downloads" file. Not only that, I have 9-10 "Hoods" on some of my computers. Also, Sims run a lot smoother, IF you have the ram, to run without a swap file. I don't run a swap file on my computers with 16gb/ram.

I have an entire 4tb External drive, dedicated JUST for all things "Sim".