Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:05 PM Last edited by Psion : 2nd May 2005 at 5:00 PM.
Default Upgrading Pre-EP Careers to work in EP1 (University)
I extracted these using Merola64's cloning object tutorial. Its for the sake of figuring out how to update our current custom careers so they dont interrupt sims 2 university gameplay.

I noticed that there are 4 new sub files added for each career compared to the original Sims 2 ones. These are:

Behavior Constants:
Top Memory
Tuning - Chance Card Levels
Tuning - Flags

AND

Behavior Function:
CT - Lifetime Want Satisfy

The top memory is linked to another Object file which codes for a memory sims get when they reach the top of the career.
Tuning - Chance Card Levels seems to code for which levels have chance cards. (The 4 new careers in this EP do not have all 10 chance cards)
Tuning - Flags -- ???
CT - Lifetime Want Satisfy -- ??? Probably codes for which lifetime want it satisfies??

How To Make Previous Custom Careers EP Compatible

1. Download a base career from this thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038. Download the one which you are basing your career on.

2. Open the base career. Click on 'Behavior Constant'. Scroll down the files on the right until you find these files:
Top Memory
Tuning - Chance Card Levels
Tuning - Flags

3. Highlight the three files, right click and press 'Extract'. Remember the folder you saved the extracted files to.

4. Now click on 'Behavior Function'. Scroll down the files on the right until you find this file:
CT - Lifetime Want Satisfy
Highlight this file, right click and press 'Extract'. Remember the folder you saved the extracted files to.

5. Now, close this base career package and open up your ORIGINAL TS2 custom career package.

6. Click on 'Behavior Constant'. Right click on any file on the right and click 'Add'. When the window opens up, set the "files of type" to 'Extracted File (.simpe)' Select the three behavior constant files you previously extracted and add them here now.

7. Click on 'Behavior Function'. Right click on any file on the right and click 'Add'. When the window opens up, set the "files of type" to 'Extracted File (.simpe)' Select the behavior function file you previously extracted and add them here now.

Since you are simply editing your old custom file, your GUID,GROUP ID,Text Lists etc will be the same as the original. You can leave them alone. But I think it is best to change the Guids of the EP Ready files to make them different from the Original ones. Save your file after you are done and this is EP Ready.

This is for ADULT careers. I have yet to perfect my teen careers. And this is for Updating old custom careers. New custom careers can be made with the new base career packages, following the tutorial on career making in the tutorial forum.

*Since the new behavior constants and behavior function are not really known as to what they do, this procedure is rather simple and not 100% correct*

**Known Issues*
For some reason, this career is showing up in the popup thing which comes when a person chooses a major. Not a big problem, but still something to work on.
*Note* I do not know how the showbiz/artist/natural scientist/paranormal careers work as bases. Since there must be something that codes it to be a 'locked' career only avaliable to graduates, its not known how they will work as custom careers. Custom careers *may* become 'locked' as well.
**Note 2** If you use any of the 4 new university maxis made careers, remember to change the Tuning - Chance Card Levels file according to which levels you have chance cards at. These 4 careers by default do not have all 10 chance card levels.

Please correct me if i have said anything wrong!
**These are BASE career packages, not new ones, mainly for modders to take a look at**

I apologize if if i made any mistakes here. Its really my first attempt, i am so anxious to fix career files.

I'm currently making a list of all careers which work properly.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TS2UAthleticsCareer.rar (242.4 KB, 2102 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UBusinessCareer.rar (260.1 KB, 1675 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UCriminalCareer.rar (277.8 KB, 1075 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UCulinaryCareer.rar (357.4 KB, 996 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2ULawEnforcementCareer.rar (269.4 KB, 1091 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UMedicineCareer.rar (237.6 KB, 1033 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UMilitaryCareer.rar (391.5 KB, 1064 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2USlackerCareer.rar (243.2 KB, 1239 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UPoliticsCareer.rar (285.1 KB, 1071 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UScienceCareer.rar (386.0 KB, 1323 downloads) - View custom content

SAm....Home to the clones and my gorgeous friends,
SIMilar Addiction
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:10 PM Last edited by p00jkins : 4th Mar 2005 at 5:15 PM.
Default Other 4 Careers
These are the careers which the majors in university 'unlock'. (New in Sims 2 University ONLY)

I'm not sure if the unlocking is tied to the major or the career. Does anyone have input on this?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TS2UArtistCareer.rar (142.6 KB, 786 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UNaturalScientistCareer.rar (164.6 KB, 690 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UShowbizCareer.rar (155.8 KB, 828 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UParanormalCareer.rar (170.2 KB, 723 downloads) - View custom content

SIMilar Addiction
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 5:46 AM
I don't have the expansion yet (haven't bothered getting it since my computer can't even start Windows at the moment :p) but I think I read somewhere on these forums that when a sim graduates from University ALL of the new careers are unlocked no matter what your major was. If this is correct, then it's probably not tied to the major. Maybe someone else who has the game can confirm whether or not this is true.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 6:29 AM
p00jkins oddly enough if you use the career option in the InSimenator all of these careers are available instantly for anyone.

I don't know if graduting adds anything special to them. Possibly it's like your old hacked careers where private school students with high skills would start at a much higher level in their career of choice.

When you choose a major the game seems to pidgeon hole you into at least career paths. I am not sure without a hack present if ALL would be available to the graduate.

That said now I have to beg for sped in fixing my beloved p00jkins careers. I don't want to go near Veronnaville while my Sims are unemployed.

I am ever hopeful oh wondrous Goddess of all career matters.
#5 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 6:31 PM Last edited by fenwolf : 5th Mar 2005 at 6:33 PM.
Default Fixing old careers for EP
I see from new threads that you've most likely solved the EP compatibility problems with careers. Here's what I did after reading your post and downoading the new base business career:
I loaded the new base Business career into SimPE to extract the three new behavior constants along with the new behavior function. I also extracted the object function since it is different from the ones used in the old base careers. I then loaded my custom careers into SimPE and replaced the object function with the one I extracted. I also added the behavior constants and the behavior function.
I did this with two custom careers and played the game with two Sims taking these custom careers. I played for several hours without any adverse effects. I didn't have any teens to send off to college in my test neighborhood so all the game play was on a residential lot.
It seems to me that using this method may solve the problems with careers created prior to the EP. In addition, I suspect that new careers created from the new base careers should work fine in the game.
I assume you used similar methods. Let me know if I'm missing anything here before I go hog wild creating EP compatible careers. I only had two custom careers to convert for compatibility.
By the way, thanks for your post and getting the rest of us off and running with careers for the EP.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 11:52 PM
fenwolf, thats exactly what i did! A bit confusing and messy...but it works. :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 7:28 AM
okay, i added my mini tutorial on career making here instead.

Can this thread please be stickeyed? at least for now.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 7:51 AM Last edited by p00jkins : 12th Mar 2005 at 2:18 AM. Reason: Correct a mistake
Teen Careers From TS2U :D

*Note* There was a mistake with the athletics teen career, sorry! I now uploaded the corrected one.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TS2UBusinessCareerTeen.rar (90.3 KB, 408 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UCriminalCareerTeen.rar (95.0 KB, 356 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UPoliticsCareerTeen.rar (94.8 KB, 357 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UCulinaryCareerTeen.rar (112.1 KB, 332 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2ULawEnforcementCareerTeen.rar (95.5 KB, 346 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2USlackerCareerTeen.rar (84.2 KB, 366 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UMedicineCareerTeen.rar (90.0 KB, 337 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UMilitaryCareerTeen.rar (105.6 KB, 335 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UScienceCareerTeen.rar (105.7 KB, 345 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  TS2UAthleticsCareerTeen.rar (103.9 KB, 682 downloads) - View custom content

SIMilar Addiction
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 9:07 PM
Stuck =) Good luck working it all out for custom careers in the EP :D

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Not a Llama
#10 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 11:45 PM
Good going on this p00jkins. Have you tried using an EP career in the base game? In theory it would just ignore the extra fields, unless the actual data format has changed in existing fields.

Anyway, as you appear to have found the solution, I will add this to the career procedure document (and your name as well! :D)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:06 AM
No, i havent tried using an EP career in the base game. I hope someone will be willing to help in that area. Then we dont have to post doubles.
#12 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:15 AM
One question... I made a custom career before the EP and after I installed it, it still works! Is there any reason I should remake it following these new guidelines?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Helarxe
One question... I made a custom career before the EP and after I installed it, it still works! Is there any reason I should remake it following these new guidelines?

hmm...thats rather weird..you could ask for testers first perhaps?

SIMilar Addiction
Field Researcher
#14 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 1:20 PM
I want to make my first career, I have the ep installed. Will there be new instructions making career's from uni to make it clearer for the newbies?
Also, I saw mentioned custom majors on another site, are those really possible? Is there any chance of maybe some instructions for a custom major?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Nicola
x x x
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 2:27 PM
You will have to see the tutorial on career making in the tutorials forum for that. I only talk about updating careers here.

Custom majors are definitely possible, as i think. BUT the problem is HOW to get the sims to register for custom majors since the way they choose the majors is pretty specific with no room for more. Unless of course, the custom majors are made to replace the old ones, which im sure nobody wants.
Instructor
#16 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 1:30 AM
Default Which base careers to use?
Thank you so much for such a clear and easy-to-follow tutorial. I have one question, though -- does it matter which base career I would use to convert my existing custom careers for EP use? I did not make these careers, I downloaded them, and I *think* most of them used the Athletic career as a base ... but I don't know if they all did. Is there a way to tell what was used?

Thank you for any help you can give -- and thanks especially for unlocking the secrets to making our custom careers work in the new game!

prudence
Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 7:21 AM
Hey p00jkins, i'll test the Showbiz career for you.
(I have the Sims 2(No expansion))
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pureheart
Thank you so much for such a clear and easy-to-follow tutorial. I have one question, though -- does it matter which base career I would use to convert my existing custom careers for EP use? I did not make these careers, I downloaded them, and I *think* most of them used the Athletic career as a base ... but I don't know if they all did. Is there a way to tell what was used?

Thank you for any help you can give -- and thanks especially for unlocking the secrets to making our custom careers work in the new game!

prudence

hey! i think it *may* matter which base you use to add on to old custom careers. Cant be sure though, i havent tried it out yet. IF you want to know which career a custom career is based on, just go to "Name Reference" and you will see something like jobdata_science or something along those lines.

SIMilar Addiction
Field Researcher
#19 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 4:55 PM
Nope, the showbiz career didn't come up on the Insiminator. So there must be a lock (just like you said!)
:fallen: :weep:
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rct2mad
Nope, the showbiz career didn't come up on the Insiminator. So there must be a lock (just like you said!)
:fallen: :weep:

Hmm, the showbiz career shows in the insiminator for Sims 2 University. But it doesnt show in The Sims 2 alone? Hmmm...

SIMilar Addiction
Field Researcher
#21 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:50 PM
I hope I helped! Good luck figuring this out!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 3:38 PM
p00jkins......Thanks much for the tutorial.....I have been trying it but am not having good luck.

I attempted to make the old "mafia" career compatible.....I used the TS2UCriminalCareer that you posted for my base......I extracted just as you described.......then when I attempted to use it in my EP game, the Sims froze.....the game did not freeze, just the clock and the Sims.....I still had mouse functions and could click on other stuff but the Sims and clock remained frozen.......

Then I attempted to mod the base career again......this time I did as you instructed and also extracted and added the "Objects Functions"....I got the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again
tug

Edited: BTW......the career (mafia) does show up in the game....

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.......if you are reading it in English, thank a Veteran
Download the InSIMenator at http://www.insimenator.net
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 10:24 PM
The old mafia career was probably faulty. Even though it shows up in the game, it probably wasnt done correctly. I cant really see whats wrong with it since the career is no longer on the boards.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 10:44 AM
bad luck
Hi p00jkins,
unfortunately I, too, have to report bad news. I tried my luck on test-converting the nuclear power plant career yesterday. The new file freezes the load family screen after all the bars have all been filled up just as the TS2 careers do.

Is it me, is it the career or something with the procedure (which I doubt, since I guess you used it to convert the ones you did make EP-ready)?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 10:54 AM
Its neither you nor the procedure. Its the fact that the careers are not properly made in the first place. The problems from the old careers accumulate and cause problems even when you follow this procedure.

You can ask KLGFCG or others who used this procedure to convert to ep-ready. If the pre-ep careers were properly made, it will work. if not, it will need more tweaking.
Page 1 of 3