Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 10:20 PM
I'd use the rabbithole rugs to create your own futuristic buildings in a dome.
I'd also use a red paint for stone, mixed with browns and grays, for a more accurate 'Red planet' atmosphere

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#27 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 2:08 PM
I'd like to help with moons, but space engine is a realistical program where Phobos and Deimos can't be seen. Try googling their phases, or even better make them. Two phases should have both moons on them, but in different positions, one (or two) should be empty, and rest should have only Phobos (as it is the closest moon). And also, do not cut out the parts of the moons, but rather try shading out different parts, or rotating the image for the shaddow effect. I really can't help as I'm going to country for a weekend, but someone else could.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 6:02 PM
Hi Jawusa! Just popping in here to say that I love this idea, I love what you've done so far, and I'm very excited to see the end result! If you need any help with playtesting or building lots, or even if you just need someone to bounce ideas off of, let me know - I'd love to help out.

"God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth."

- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

My Simblr | Hadi Family Tree
Mad Poster
#29 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I'd like to help with moons, but space engine is a realistical program where Phobos and Deimos can't be seen. Try googling their phases, or even better make them. Two phases should have both moons on them, but in different positions, one (or two) should be empty, and rest should have only Phobos (as it is the closest moon). And also, do not cut out the parts of the moons, but rather try shading out different parts, or rotating the image for the shaddow effect. I really can't help as I'm going to country for a weekend, but someone else could.

Another alternative could be to make this a Mars-like planet, rather than the real thing. Something like Europa, Titan or Io- maybe the Jovian or Saturnian moons.

It would certainly allow a bit more lee-way in the stuff you can do to make the skies pretty.

For example, the gas giant moon in Uranesia could look great here.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...079#post4846079

A snapshot of Planetbase, with a gas giant in the background:

Then again, nothing can replace Mars though
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:08 PM
I've got Space Engine and it creates nice moon phases for both; Phobos and Deimos so I can take screenshots and use those moon phases as moons. They look really close to Mars's moons and it's not transparent on the dark side anymore. I'm still working on them, I'll upload new pictures really soon.

As for colonies on gas giants' satellites, even though it would be nice to see Jupiter rising in the early evening, it would be damn scary to see that big thing on the horizon. Lol.
If you prefer colonies on satellites, rather than on planets... I could create a Titan-like world or a Europa-like world instead of a Mars themed world. Io is dangerously close to its parent planet, so it's not really suitable for colonies.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#31 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 4:06 PM
Nah, it's just an idea. I think a Mars world would be great first.

For the moons, you can also mess around with them- i.e. the moons in different positions, one moons missing, etc. to simulate their different orbits. If you use a large texture and have the moon size scaled up, you can have them pretty far apart.

The moons are also pretty small though, so you probably won't see much detail.

Phobos from Mars.

Anyways, moons are just the cherry on top in the grand scheme of things!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 4:52 PM
Phobos looks bigger in real life. Earth's moon also looks bigger. In photos, it appears pretty small but in real life, it's much bigger.

So I'm using pictures of the sun eclipse on Mars as a reference.
Phobos and Deimos

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Theorist
#33 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 1:07 AM Last edited by tizerist : 18th Oct 2015 at 1:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
Phobos looks bigger in real life.

When were you last out in Phobos neck of the woods?
About Titan, this would allow you to have lakes and rainfall. It's an interesting conundrum...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#34 Old 4th Nov 2015 at 10:26 PM
Sims 2 Space Station: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=566823

And a Mars Base: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554401

Some cool inspirations for maybe interior deco.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 1:48 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 15th Nov 2015 at 2:04 AM.
Love the idea and look of this project!

As for feed back:

1. I would support your choice to use Roads.
I think it is more versatile, and creates fewer problems as there are a few game feature which need roads to function. To control traffic or eliminate it one can use Nraas mod called Traffic. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traffic

2. Even in a DIY version the empty lots need placed as placing them in game has been reported to mess with routing and cause lag.
Alternative would be to provide the CAW files so people could go in and place the lots themselves.

3. I like the idea of it being done with out store or CC and then everyone can just add want they have and like. If you use mostly flat and standard sizes for your lots it would be easy for people to download lots they liked that fit the theme or people to build lots inspired by this world and offer them for down load. I think there was a thread at one time on the Sims 3 official forum for Lunar Lake lots. How ever depending on your personal style for layout and building that could be too limiting.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 17th Nov 2015 at 4:35 AM
This world is looking super awesome! I just wanted to post to say that a few years ago, Rflong7 made a world called Moon Base Charlie. It has a similar idea in that it's in space, though of course it's the moon. Just thought you may want to look at it to get some ideas.

http://myworlds-rflong7.blogspot.co...arliedelta.html

Also, for the hospital dome, I think you need to have a more 'proper' entrance. I played Moon Base Charlie a little, and I'm pretty sure she had to use discrete entrances, and connected the dome through a basement tunnel.
Test Subject
#37 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 7:01 PM
I love the idea of a Mars world for Sims, and was wondering if anything further had been done to this? Or if the most recent world file could be uploaded for those of us who would like to continue with it? Thanks!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 7:39 PM
I actually want to continue with this, but everything seems overwhelming for me at the moment.
High school keeps me busy and I barely have time for the sims.

But this is something that I don't want to give up.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#39 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 10:49 PM
I actually got a terrain from suburbansimblr and remade it into Mars, so the terrain part is all done.

http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.com/tagged/mars

However the project is stalled at the moment while I figure out how to replace the ambient sounds with more appropriate ones (blowing wind instead of birds).

Threads here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582643
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=584020

I could either brute-force my way through replacing each and every sound, or I could try to force the world to use Al Simhara's sounds. Either way, the process needs to be figured out.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 9:23 AM
That looks awesome! Wow! :lovestruc
I hope you also included greyish-blue sunsets/sunrises. Like in this picture. https://briankoberlein.com/wp-conte...es-1200x671.jpg
http://www.alienstudy.com/wp-conten...mars_sunset.jpg

As for the sound, hmm, if it's possible to extract the bird sound, then it could be replaced with a custom one. Then you wouldn't have to make the world an Egyptian vacation destination or something.
But I'm not sure if that works... Maybe you'd have to extract the Egyptian winds sound as well, rename it, so it has the same name as the bird sound and import that into the world -- maybe this could make it work.

(Just thinking out loud)

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 1:53 AM
Hi, how is it going?
Mad Poster
#42 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 2:07 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 21st Nov 2018 at 10:05 PM.
These progress pics look great, I might be interested in a Mars world as well. Thing is, the Mars sky isn't red I believe, and neither is the surface. Both are a copper-like shade, though the sky has been known to be blue.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#43 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 4:22 AM
@faerytech

The terrain is done, but I need some help in removing the background noises though.
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 12:04 AM
I love this world already!! It's looking great!! I have a suggestion...check out Rflong7's world on the exchange called 'Moon Base Delta' It's a cc free moon base world that might give you some inspiration & ideas! https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetai...assetId=8442545
Mad Poster
#45 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 4:23 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 1st Apr 2019 at 4:35 PM.
Default Hurdle Bypassed!
Good news, managed to disable the ambient birds, insects and other sounds with the help of @Buurz! With this hurdle out of the way, the next steps can proceed after a long wait

Some questions I want your help in considering and clarifying:
  • Should this be a Mars world, or Mars-like extrasolar world? An extrasolar world could allow me to try doing cool things with the sun and moon.
  • How harsh should life be outside? Should the air be 'breathable'?- In this contingency, I would try setting the default world temperature (with NRAAS) to around freezing so sims will change into outerwear (astronaut suits) when they go outside.
  • Should there be any alien life? (i.e. alien vegetation)
  • How realistic should the world feel? I want something more realistic than Lunar Lakes, maybe leaning towards something like Project Eagle, Space X, Anno 2205, or even Surviving Mars.
  • How built-up should the world feel? Starting from nothing? Or already-established?
  • The general mood of the world is "Space colonization in a harsh environment", but I wouldn't mind layering other tropes like 'Western' or 'Retro' if the world mood swings to that
  • I definitely want either a big dome, or smaller domes on lots- but how realistic would they feel if sims automatically change to outerwear outside? Maybe it's just a radiation dome? Maybe something like this might work? (https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ny2/id/1102724/) Or maybe the dome is a greenhouse-roof-like object?

Some References

Looking for input as to the general layout of the world, the roads are a rough test- Help me and download and draw over the map on where you think facilities could go!
Some notes and questions:
  • As of now, the flat area to the right of the map below the mountain is where the landing pads and main base facilities might fit best.
  • Terrain paints are also not final.
  • Don't know if I will keep the pointy mountain or round it off
  • Lot distribution- should nearly all habitable lots be near the launch site, or should they be scattered around the map?
  • How many lots should be prebuilt? I'm leaning towards 'Very little', with only some core infrastructure as part of the map. This might help contribute to the feeling of 'space colonization'
  • Should lots be independent or connected?
  • I may integrate the Zephyr monorail into the map if needed

Mad Poster
#46 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 5:16 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 1st Apr 2019 at 9:37 PM.
I'd say Mars-like. The planet should be terraformed to have a breathable atmosphere and very limited support for Earth flora and fauna, but structures should be reinforced and shielded against harsh weather such as extreme cold and sandstorms. Not a big fan of domes, personally, but the idea reminds me of Total Recall. Might just be because I'm kinda stuck in that era at the moment but I think Total Recall is probably a good source for inspiration. Its futuristic Mars colony is hostile yet luxurious, and functional yet modern. It also has a little shuttle train you could take inspiration from. Then again, no one knows for certain if it actually happened......

No alien anything though. I feel like that'd be a waste of a perfectly good world to be honest. There's sci-fi worlds for TS3, but no proper space colonies. The more realistic the better. If you ask me it'd be more fun to have a lively, thriving Mars colony than a barely established one. There should be a layered effect. Let's say Mars was first settled in the 2030s, when the technology was extremely limited and everything had to be to NASA specifications. It'll look a lot like The Martian, or really any render you can find of a realistic Mars colony. But's now the 2150s. The planet has now been terraformed and the old safety requirements are well out of date. So people can go outside their shelters and survive outdoors. There'll still be fairly extreme weather but nothing transparent aluminum and concrete can't stop.

Also: Biosphere 2. I believe this is the first successful attempt at simulating the Earth in a large-scale, closed, inhabited environment. Again, pretty heavy on the dated sci-fi aesthetic but it's real, it works, and it's something that will undoubtedly influence actual science in the future.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 10:54 PM
I'm glad to see that this is still active
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 8:11 AM
@jje1000

This. Is. So. Cool.
Where do y'all get those nice ideas? xD unbelievable. I'd like to give a feedback/an answer to some of your questions:
1. Should this be a Mars world, or Mars-like extrasolar world? - Please extra-solar, so you can try doing some cool things with sun and moon :D
2. How harsh should life be outside? Should the air be 'breathable'? - Your idea with the astronaut suits is so awesome, I'd love to see sims going outside in these suits.
3. Should there be any alien life? - Maybe plants in a globe (like the science lab globe in sunset valley for example) - as a greenhouse or something. Maybe it's possible to use/make a mod, where alien visitors (seasons pack) visit really often (every day or every second day) , but kidnapping is set to 1 or 0 percent? (or more, if you want to have a lot of alien babies)
4. How built-up should the world feel? Starting from nothing? Or already-established? - Hmm in my opinion it would be cool, that it is already built, so you can start directly. Maybe one or two residentials/community to build on your own. Hmm I am not so sure now, if I missunderstood. So I will answer this question also in an another way: I think the world should not look too futuristic, more like the first attempts of sim-kind to live on the mars-like world, so you get the feeling that it's a bit lonely there and far away from home... it will take some centuries for sims to accept this world as their new home world.
5. ...but I wouldn't mind layering other tropes like 'Western' or 'Retro' - Retro is a cool idea (:

1. Terrain paints are also not final. - But they already look very nice.
2. Don't know if I will keep the pointy mountain or round it off - I like the shape, but maybe it's a bit too high. hm.
3. Lot distribution- should nearly all habitable lots be near the launch site, or should they be scattered around the map? - Hm i think that the lots should stay together, but maybe a handful of special community lots are a bit more far away?
4. How many lots should be prebuilt? I think, I answered this question in the other number 4 question^^
5. Should lots be independent or connected? - could you please explain what do you mean by independent/connected?^^
6. I may integrate the Zephyr monorail into the map if needed - I like the monorail a lot and it would be cool to have in a homeworld, but I think it would not fit into the atmosphere I described in first number-4-question.

These are only ideas of mine and if someone or you, jje1000 have other/better ideas, of course you should do what you like the best I am pretty sure that it will be another beautiful world <3
Test Subject
#49 Old 16th Aug 2019 at 6:37 PM
Love this project so much. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 11:53 PM
Is there a tutorial on how to get the monorail in a custom world, or if no can you please create one? There was a thread here ages ago and as of the time nobody had figured out how to do one. Or at least a working one.

This project will be fun to watch and I am glad you are working on it now.
Page 2 of 2