Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 6:54 PM
On creating "Sims like" games
Has anyone here ever thought of creating their own games? Or know of some good indie games like the sims? Obviously, the people here enjoy The Sims, but we also all know that there are things that could be improved. I mean, that is why we mod things right?

I don't know if this has ever been suggested before, but I think the people here could make something really unique. Start completly from scratch to make what we want in a game.

The combined expertise of people in this community could create something really amazing. We have artists and programmers, average consumers of the target audience who will gladly tell us what they want and don't want, and general game enthusiests who may have skills an indie game maker doesn't even realize they need, like communication, marketing, some sort of management, finances, etc.

I know copyright issues could be a problem, but maybe there are ways around that? Virtual Villagers is often compared to the Sims, but they are not the same game. It would only be an issue if this idea even goes anywhere. Cross that bridge when we get to it?

Has this sort of thing been done before? Is anyone interested in the idea?
Advertisement
#2 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 9:20 PM
I'm currently brainstorming, but right now I don't have the skills/tools necessary to create it. This site helps me think up names and such.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 8:38 PM
Im not quite sure what you mean with the name thing, Snowflake. Names for what exactly?

Anyway, brainstorming is always good. You mentioned that you don't have all the tools for such a project. That was pretty much the point of my post. Although none of us have every skill, someone else in the community might have one of those that you're missing.

We have all been a bit disappointed with some of EA's decisions regarding The Sims, so we try to "mod" those parts so that the game works for us. However, as the game continues to diverge from what we want, it may be more worthwhile to make a whole different game instead.
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 9:37 PM Last edited by Graveyard Snowflake : 3rd Apr 2015 at 9:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by username.hc
Im not quite sure what you mean with the name thing, Snowflake. Names for what exactly?

Anyway, brainstorming is always good. You mentioned that you don't have all the tools for such a project. That was pretty much the point of my post. Although none of us have every skill, someone else in the community might have one of those that you're missing.

We have all been a bit disappointed with some of EA's decisions regarding The Sims, so we try to "mod" those parts so that the game works for us. However, as the game continues to diverge from what we want, it may be more worthwhile to make a whole different game instead.

Names for NPCs, locations, spells, that kind of stuff. Not having the skills/tools I need is kind of a mixed blessing. On one hand it gives me time to think about the backstory, conflict, quests, etc. On the other hand, I would like to at least get a start on it, but can't. Do you know any good programs I could use? At least one, I can try to learn the language.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 12:54 AM
It would be cool if we could create more expansion packs for the sims2! Of course they would be unofficial but Id love ones like Makin' Magic, World Adventures, Farming, maybe even adult themed ones.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 7:25 PM
Yah I think Mod the sims could pull off a project like that
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 9:59 PM
That would be pretty fun, like our monthly theme challenges. We could each contribute something we have made to a new EP.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 1:56 PM
A big way is to add more freedom yet also subtract some. An easy way that is being implemented in my planned game is the need to room with a best friend before finding your own place, with each possible roommate only cool with a certain amount of time that you will stay depending on their personality. Some might even be too stoned to remember you were supposed to leave. (Notice: This is not a kid's game, probably would be rated M)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 4:07 PM
I am pretty sure there was an attempt to make a Sims-like game called La Vida or something. I don't know what happened to it...

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Test Subject
#10 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 1:42 PM
with each possible roommate only cool with a certain amount of time that you will stay depending on their personality. Some might even be too stoned to remember you were supposed to leave.

sara
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AzemOcram
I am pretty sure there was an attempt to make a Sims-like game called La Vida or something. I don't know what happened to it...

The person in charge dropped off the face of the earth. He made no effort to talk to the potential fans or market the game, so people lost interest and left. And then the forum filled with spam, and now it can't be accessed. Shame, too, since there were some good ideas. I still remember some of it, like the ideas for personality, traits, adding disabilities, etc.

The video's gone, too, as are all the sites associated with the game, so I think he's given up. However, it looks like the source code is still around...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 2:38 PM
Fun.

Well, let's make sure we don't do that if a game does end up getting made, but for the love for all that is reasonable please do not ever refer to the game as a sims-like game. Don't market it as one either. It'll have a higher chance of success if it shows itself as a standalone experience that doesn't use the basic frameworks of the Sims and instead blends the experience with different genres and has a much different tone.

I'd say if you want to go rated M rather than T, don't make it like a rated M sims game.

There are ways to make life simulators that go even more in depth about life than the sims not feel at all like the sims, and still be considered life simulators.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 4th May 2015 at 9:33 AM
Okay, I think I remember as much as I'm going to get. I'm using sim analogies here simply because it's convenient.

The traits system we proposed for La Vida was one based on actions. If you sat around, ate a lot, and didn't exercise, you would get the Couch Potato trait. However, once you have it, you can turn it into the Athletic trait, simply by getting up and going to the gym every day. There's a possibility of backsliding if you stop for a few days, and a negative experience can scare the character off. (Dude/ttes sounds silly) A character who goes above and beyond will gain the Ambitious trait, but they can lose it if too many problems arise or they don't use it. So instead of randomly getting traits, you would have to work for them. Like real life.
So, in short, traits were a description of what the character does.

Personality was different. It was how the character tended to react to things, like how a Grumpy sim tends to be pessimistic.

I think there was a third proposed dimension, but I can't remember it. I think it had something to do with social skills.

A few of us were in favor of adding disabilities to the game, some the characters are born with and some they can get through life. (I also suggested that this could be a way of funding the project and getting attention; if he contacted organizations based around common disabilities and asked for help raising awareness, that could only be positive provided that it was done in-game in a respectful manner.) We also wanted it to be fairly normal and not a big deal in-game that any given character is disabled (though getting a disability would be another matter entirely. Characters who were deaf or blind or in a wheelchair could be something you regularly see in the background.

Other things we wanted were gradual aging instead of TS2 through 4's exploding up into the next stage.

Adding all or any of these would probably give the game a different feel from the Sims.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 5th May 2015 at 12:05 AM Last edited by awesomechick979 : 5th May 2015 at 12:40 AM.
Dang it! You already beat me to creating this thread, op! I guess great minds think alike! Let me see about creating another thread so we (the community) can start brainstorming to possibly create a life sim. I'll link it in later.

Edit: Here you go, babes: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4750814 Let's begin brainstorming a life sim game that can possibly be ours!