Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2016 at 12:07 AM Last edited by parrot999 : 10th May 2016 at 1:09 AM.
Default Sims 2/4-esque UI recolor for The Sims 3
Hey, I've always hated the default Sims 3 UI with its sterile blue and white color scheme, so I've started working on a mod to bring the UI more in line with it's predecessor and successor by adding a bit of green to brighten things up... I'd like to see if there is any interest.

It's very early, but here are some preview pics to whet your appetite:

Edit: Live Mode!

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th May 2016 at 12:32 AM
Looking good IMO the blue needs to be a tiny bit darker or the green a bit more saturated.

A fun thing you could do is to try to replace the font with the Sims 2 one.(http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/BenguiatGot-Bk-BT-Bold)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2016 at 12:41 AM Last edited by parrot999 : 10th May 2016 at 1:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Looking good IMO the blue needs to be a tiny bit darker or the green a bit more saturated.

A fun thing you could do is to try to replace the font with the Sims 2 one.(http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/BenguiatGot-Bk-BT-Bold)

Thanks. I'm not sure how to replace fonts, but I'll look into it.

As for changing the saturation, I feel like that would just add more work to an already big project with relatively little payoff, so I'm not so sure...

I should clarify, I'm not making a straight Sims 2-ification of the UI, as that would be an insane undertaking, having to change all the blue into a more purplish shade, and manually editing WAAAAY too many sprites. I'm simply using the same method as that game to help change a boring UI into a good looking one.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th May 2016 at 1:40 PM
Looking nice. I personally would change all the blues into either blacks or whites, but this looks okay as well.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2016 at 4:05 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 10th May 2016 at 4:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Looking nice. I personally would change all the blues into either blacks or whites, but this looks okay as well.

lol! You want my UI to be more Sims 4, and the other person wants it to be more Sims 2... I literally can't win!

But in all seriousness, if someone makes a black or white variant of the basic UI, I'd consider making another version of this with those defaults as well.

As it currently stands I am taking sprites from the Green test UI that dino_rex made using photoshop's batch feature as a proof of concept, and merging the spritesheets with the Basegame UI. (Editing where necessary, for example the change floor buttons needed to be manually edged properly otherwise the area around them would flash green every time they are selected, and the colorwheel icon in CAS' CASt is buggy looking in the green UI, so I cut a hole and replaced it with the one from the default blue UI as can be seen above...) If someone can batch up a full black or white default, I'd totally be up to take a crack at that one... As it stands, I lack photoshop, only Gimp, so I'd have to manually change every sprite in the game, vs now where I only have to change like a third of the sprites. (which is still a lot of sprites to: figure out what they actually are, edit them where necessary, fix any human error that will occur due to misinterpreting what a certain sprite is, and make sure they don't inherit visual bugs from the green batch UI.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th May 2016 at 10:48 PM
I think it should look as modern as possible, and as generic as possible. How come there is a hot pink recolour and a blue-green one, but not a beautifully generic greyscale one?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st May 2016 at 4:17 PM
It's been a while but I've finished manually editing everything... NOw for debug. I've uploaded a test version for anyone willing to help me notice any bugs in the mod thusfar.

I'll upload more pics a little later.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sims2Style.rar (25.40 MB, 539 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 5:58 PM
That is really interesting. I'm going to test it myself! And I love the sims 2 font.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 9:37 AM
I've tested it. The only thing that bugged me just a small bit is the way the loading and saving screen stutters. But then I found it interesting. So I have no complaints. Excelent work. I'll be using this one from now on.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I've tested it. The only thing that bugged me just a small bit is the way the loading and saving screen stutters. But then I found it interesting. So I have no complaints. Excelent work. I'll be using this one from now on.

Yeah, I kinda screwed up the plumbobs there... I'm going to try to fix that whenever I have access to stable electricity again (homeless at the moment, and my PC is a desktop)