Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6076 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 4:03 AM
Yah Sunrader

So I just learnt from a post that you can make the charlatan run from the lot. A post by BO says to use the downloadable Crumplebutt purse. You can beat him over the head with it, and he will run from the lot! I still have that bag someplace, I need to grab it from my old game, install it in Coral Bay and try it out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6077 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 7:06 AM
If you use the Crumplebutt purse on your date, they'll also run off the lot, ending the date. It's funny seeing them talk about what a wonderful dream date you gave them while they sprint off.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#6078 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 7:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I am terribly excited because I JUST figured out how to stop that awful build/buy/CAS music while keeping on my lovely atmospheric hiphop or bubblegum or whatever from the speakers at my town roller rink or public pool or whatever. Does everyone already know this?!

You mean there's a way to go into build/buy without the music switching? How?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#6079 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 9:01 AM Last edited by Charity : 3rd Jul 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam

If you go into the sound options you can uncheck all the music listed beside whatever you want not to play and nothing will play for that.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6080 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 11:41 AM
One little trick I haven't used for a long time is removing the rail from staircases.

Some of the Maxis stairs can have the side rail removed just like the modular stairs.

I remember this being a big deal to me when i discovered it, and so I thought it worth mentioning again in case there is someone new to sims who didn't know.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6081 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 11:48 AM
I never had problems with stopping the music in build mode. One can turn off the sound
Mad Poster
#6082 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I never had problems with stopping the music in build mode. One can turn off the sound

Yeah, but then you don't get the stereo music either. I used to do that, but decided that I wanted to hear the stereos.
Alchemist
#6083 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 12:32 PM

Yes, as Charity said, at the bottom of the audio options area, where all the stations are listed, there are tabs for sound in buy/build/hood/CAS, uncheck all the stations. I know, right? It's been there all along! :P
Mad Poster
#6084 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 12:59 PM
The first control I learned how to work was the one that turns off the repetitive music when the game is loading (dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah...dah dah DA). Could. Not.Stand.
I turned off all the music at that time. Never missed it.

When I played sims 1, I always played with the game muted. People reminisce about how wonderful the music from that game was. Couldn't say.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#6085 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 3:14 PM Last edited by Bubblebeam : 3rd Jul 2018 at 4:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Yes, as Charity said, at the bottom of the audio options area, where all the stations are listed, there are tabs for sound in buy/build/hood/CAS, uncheck all the stations. I know, right? It's been there all along! :P

Ah, I remember now. I knew about this but it never seems to work for me. My game just rebelliously plays all the music I just unticked.

Maybe I'll have to try forcing it via SimPE.

Edit. Well, deleting every build.package and buy.package from each EP directory (TSData > Res > Sound) did remove them from the lists in the audio options, but the tracks still play in those modes. Guessing they're all jumbled in with all other audio files in Sfx1.package/Sfx2.package. No way am I trawling through those huge files for the build/buy mp3s. Guess I'm stuck with the tedious music.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Alchemist
#6086 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 5:26 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Jul 2018 at 4:53 PM.
Ah, I remember now. I knew about this but it never seems to work for me. My game just rebelliously plays all the music I just unticked.

Maybe I'll have to try forcing it via SimPE.

Edit. Well, deleting every build.package and buy.package from each EP directory (TSData > Res > Sound) did remove them from the lists in the audio options, but the tracks still play in those modes. Guessing they're all jumbled in with all other audio files in Sfx1.package/Sfx2.package. No way am I trawling through those huge files for the build/buy mp3s. Guess I'm stuck with the tedious music.

I use UC, but it's probably not different in this regard. You don't have to mess with installation files. There's a folder in your games folder, the same one with downloads, called Music. There are folders there for buy, build, cas, hood. You can put mp3s there. Originally, I added a very small mp3 of silence. That works, but it puts the silent file in rotation so you get da da da da silence silence silence de de de de de dum dum dum dumb. But, if you untick the stations (make sure you get them all, the scrolling is weird), that turns it off. Good luck!

Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
The first control I learned how to work was the one that turns off the repetitive music when the game is loading (dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah...dah dah DA). Could. Not.Stand.
I turned off all the music at that time. Never missed it.

When I played sims 1, I always played with the game muted. People reminisce about how wonderful the music from that game was. Couldn't say.

The game music is not missed. What I wanted was the music that comes from the speakers on the lots. For me it really adds a nice touch of realism to have some old bubblegum pop playing while the sims enjoy the public pool for a night swim. Or to have classic rock sounds playing at the roller rink, which it surely would be IRL. R&B in my local bar. Stuff like that.

[EDIT: It occurred to me, maybe everyone doesn't realize that those different colored speakers in the community electronics catalog have different music on them. I didn't know that for a long time. I really enjoy them now.]
Scholar
#6087 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 10:57 PM
I only just noticed that when the cursor is moved over an object with no actions, it isn't just plain grey. It has lighter-grey circles in it... ...circles that form a linear pattern that remains static as the cursor moves (giving a slight change of texture as the cursor is moved).
Lab Assistant
#6088 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 5:28 AM
I discovered that a Sim can watch a cat playing with the 'birdie toy on the wall thingy' and they will laugh!
Field Researcher
#6089 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 7:19 AM
That my genie for some reason wears a suit instead of his original outfit. So, you see his legs through the purple magic mist as he levitates above the lamp with his arms crossed in the weirdest pose. His butt and stomach look funny. He reminds me of a duck. I wish I could post a picture but I never learnt how to
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6090 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 7:33 AM
@Annorah Just go advanced, select file, upload.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#6091 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 3:29 PM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 4th Jul 2018 at 9:02 PM.
I discovered that the F10 key (removes the UI) is actually useful, in certain situations.

EDIT to avoid double-posting: I also discovered that sometimes the rainbow effect will show a double rainbow. Unfortunately, Maxis programmers did not pay much attention to optics classes and made the the outer rainbow have the same sequence of colours as the inner rainbow instead of inverted.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Forum Resident
#6092 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 9:50 PM
This is more aesthetically pleasing than actually helpful, but a while ago I discovered that in neighborhood deco, if you place a cloud effect rock in a cooling tower, it gives the impression of smog and makes it more realistic looking, in my opinion. Also if you place multiple cooling towers in the exact same place it makes the smoke thicker. Both of these effects can make your cities seem pretty air-polluted, if you like that effect. I use it in my downtowns.
Mad Poster
#6093 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 11:36 PM
I discovered, by reading the Apartment Mania contest thread, that you can have modular stairs in apartments! I'd always understood that you couldn't, but I understood wrong - the problem is with making a landing with the stage tool and modular stairs in apartments, which I never do anyway. So someday I may have straight stairs in apartments again!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6094 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
This is more aesthetically pleasing than actually helpful, but a while ago I discovered that in neighborhood deco, if you place a cloud effect rock in a cooling tower, it gives the impression of smog and makes it more realistic looking, in my opinion. Also if you place multiple cooling towers in the exact same place it makes the smoke thicker. Both of these effects can make your cities seem pretty air-polluted, if you like that effect. I use it in my downtowns.

That's … not a GIF is it? I'm only imagining it moving.
Mad Poster
#6095 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 11:41 AM
No. It's a static .png file. If it were animated, the raindrops would move.
Link Ninja
#6096 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 1:07 AM
Let's say a sim is in an apartment with a communal kitchen; well they won't be allowed to have the snack option if they click on the community fridge. HOWEVER if their rentable area has a mini fridge they can gets snacks out of that, BUT also for some coding reason it enables the ability to retrieve snacks out of a community fridge. Today's TIL brought to you by ApartmentMania!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Space Pony
#6097 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 2:17 AM
Discovered yesterday that something is making my basketball hoops cause repeating error messages. Only delete option makes them to stop, but that deleted pretty much all sims from the communitylot. Something what causes it is in my mods folder. When tested in gamefolder what only included essential game corruption preventing mods and noregen mods, there it worked just fine.

And it is not a new mod, as first time I had the same was when I got UC, after updating all the mods, naturally (did not had FT in discks), had the very same issue at Desiderata'a sport park lot.. Back then I tought it was just the one lot what was bugged and forgot it.

Yesterday realised it was not the lot, as after removing the one basketball thing from the lot it worked fine again, no errors so ever. So it was my downloads.. I did look every single mod I have, nothing to do with FT sports..(or should be) I do not even have the hoodview fix. but I am not up to do 50/50 if I use the thing once in every 4 years.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Inventor
#6098 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 7:04 AM
This is the first time I've seen this happen, but this was Brandi Broke reacting to Beau getting taken by the social worker and Dustin running away

I have Free Will on so this may be scripted but it's still amazing to see.
Screenshots

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#6099 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 8:51 AM
Test Subject
#6100 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 9:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annorah
That my genie for some reason wears a suit instead of his original outfit. So, you see his legs through the purple magic mist as he levitates above the lamp with his arms crossed in the weirdest pose. His butt and stomach look funny. He reminds me of a duck. I wish I could post a picture but I never learnt how to

That's actually because of incompatible mod Hexagonal-Bipyramid has updated it for all EPs here http://hexagonal-bipyramid.tumblr.c...ted-for-all-eps
Although maybe you want to keep the old one for funniness? x)
Page 244 of 444