Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 1:23 AM Last edited by rayder : 5th Jul 2019 at 5:23 AM. Reason: solved
Can't change the size of my texture in simPe [solved]
I'm trying to import a 1024 x 2048 texture but SimPE won't let me change the image size. I can't delete those numbers circled. I'm trying to do a 4t2 conversion. Please help

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 2:15 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Jul 2019 at 2:27 AM.
You can't change the size with those boxes. You need to import the new texture with DXT3 or 5, because it can import other sizes and fixes them for you.

If you can, remap the mesh so it's 1024x1024 (or smaller if possible, preferably as small as the actually used part of the map - TS4 acessories tend to have small textures), because TS2 isn't too fond of the 2048 size as it fills up the texture memory much faster (pink-flashing, crashing, and all those annoying things).

If you're using Blender to export meshes, this is what I do:
I usually export the UVmap, cut away all the pieces with the Canvas Size function in Photoshop (Gimp has a similar function) so it matches 256/512/1024 for both sides and is as small as possible without cutting away any of the texture, and do this for all the extracted textures too, so they match in size (can be done via actions if there's a lot of textures to change). Then go back to Blender, mark all the UVs, pick the new UV map as the background texture for the UVs, resize them with S + (first X then Y) and holding in Ctrl (sizes in full increments) until it matches the size of the UVs. Then I export the mesh to Milkshape as OBJ and finish up there (or if you use the Blender plugins for bone assignments, you can finish the work there).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can't change the size with those boxes. You need to import the new texture with DXT3 or 5, because it can import other sizes and fixes them for you.

If you can, remap the mesh so it's 1024x1024 (or smaller if possible, preferably as small as the actually used part of the map - TS4 acessories tend to have small textures), because TS2 isn't too fond of the 2048 size as it fills up the texture memory much faster (pink-flashing, crashing, and all those annoying things).

If you're using Blender to export meshes, this is what I do:
I usually export the UVmap, cut away all the pieces with the Canvas Size function in Photoshop (Gimp has a similar function) so it matches 256/512/1024 for both sides and is as small as possible without cutting away any of the texture, and do this for all the extracted textures too, so they match in size (can be done via actions if there's a lot of textures to change). Then go back to Blender, mark all the UVs, pick the new UV map as the background texture for the UVs, resize them with S + (first X then Y) and holding in Ctrl (sizes in full increments) until it matches the size of the UVs. Then I export the mesh to Milkshape as OBJ and finish up there (or if you use the Blender plugins for bone assignments, you can finish the work there).

That's weird. Last time I did a conversion I got those numbers to change somehow. And that accessory turned out fine. But the one I'm currently working on now doesn't show the texture in body shop.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 2:53 AM
The "writable" boxes in SimPE are usually white, while the ones you can't write in are greyed out, like the size boxes in the pictures above (you can for instance change the MipMap level box since it's white).

I've always changed sizes with DXT, so maybe it's just what I'm used to doing. I think those boxes just show you the size of the current map that's showing in the window. If you click on a different size in the box below (if there are more MipMap levels, yours only has one), the numbers would change (SimPE takes long to load, so I'm not going to check).

No idea why the top one says 256x256, though. Should be saying 1024x1024 since that's the size of the MipMap level (at least after commiting/saving - maybe you didn't do that?).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 3:00 AM
The "writable" boxes in SimPE are usually white, while the ones you can't write in are greyed out, like the size boxes in the pictures above (you can for instance change the MipMap level box since it's white).

I've always changed sizes with DXT, so maybe it's just what I'm used to doing. I think those boxes just show you the size of the current map that's showing in the window. If you click on a different size in the box below (if there are more MipMap levels, yours only has one), the numbers would change (SimPE takes long to load, so I'm not going to check).

No idea why the top one says 256x256, though. Should be saying 1024x1024 since that's the size of the MipMap level (at least after commiting/saving - maybe you didn't do that?).

I did commit and save. I'll try it again.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 3:02 AM
If the textures aren't showing in Bodyshop, it may be that Bodyshop is struggling with the size since it usually only deals with 1024 and below. Hence why it may be a good idea to remap to a smaller size.

If you're messing around in Bodyshop too, remember that the alpha and the texture need to have the same size before you save.
(SimPE automatically fixes the alpha if you import via DXT, DXT5 is best for transparency/translucent)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 5:20 AM
If the textures aren't showing in Bodyshop, it may be that Bodyshop is struggling with the size since it usually only deals with 1024 and below. Hence why it may be a good idea to remap to a smaller size.

If you're messing around in Bodyshop too, remember that the alpha and the texture need to have the same size before you save.
(SimPE automatically fixes the alpha if you import via DXT, DXT5 is best for transparency/translucent)

I fixed it! I needed to build the MipMap level then import the texture. Update all sizes. Commit and save. Then the numbers changed. It worked with the original texture which was 1024 x 2048. I didn't know how to remap the mesh. But it works