Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 6:25 AM
I would prefer downloads that aren't townified. The nice stuff I download is for my playables. The supporting cast can just wear the Maxis crap until I deem them important enough to have a starring role, at which time they get a makeover. I'd hate to DL a great outfit just to have Jan frickin' Tellerman wander past wearing it.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 7:26 AM
I townify almost everything including clothes, hair, eyes, all of it, and geneticize what I can. It works because I use empty neighborhoods and create all my townies so I keep only a few items aside for someone or something special. For downloads, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll change what I want. Whatever most people prefer is the best way to go.
Test Subject
#28 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 8:59 AM
I built a nice Indian village in an empty world with my playables wearing Indian clothes. Now all the time townies show up in "normal clothes" which is very annoying.
How do I stop that and have everybody wear just my Indian stuff?
Mad Poster
#29 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 10:42 AM
What they SHOULD have done, with the social townies, especially considering it was the last EP, was to categorise every outfit from the previous EPs as to which social group was allowed to spawn with it. Because you're right, some of the outfits are quite nice, and the hairs, but I get so sick of seeing them that I have to obliterate all of them.

Gilly, what I do when I see townies in odd or ugly clothing is that I grab them when they wander onto a lot, make selectable and then change their clothes using the clothing tool. Eventually you catch all of the townies. You could also look for default replacements which are more Indian themed although I don't know if many exist.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#30 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:38 AM
I'm on completely the other end of the spectrum here: I'd much rather have the majority of things townified, because my CC is so much prettier than Maxis clothes. Obviously, there are some things which I wouldn't want townified - separates which only work with specific other separates, like top-only dresses and untuckable bottoms; stuff like wedding dresses, costumes, really opulent or really tatty clothes which probably won't work on Joe Random... but for normal every day clothes, which are likely to work for the majority of sims in a 'hood (and that'd include peasant-type medieval clothing imo, since that would count as 'normal' in a medieval 'hood)... yay, townify! With a note, of course, so that if a particular downloader doesn't want the stuff townified, they know to de-townify it before installing so they don't have to clean up busted townies later.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 12:00 PM
Townifying clothing with Wardrobe Wrangler is easy. I don't even know how to de-townify; I suppose you can do it in SimPE if you know what to change. I am townifying more and more of my clothing, so I get some "interesting" townies, and my Sims don't always have to dash off to a clothes shop on their birthdays, but I still don't want the creator to townify for me. As far as I am concerned I'd much rather take a couple of seconds to townify an item in Wardrobe Wrangler, than risk having to deal with a Sim who has spawned with broken clothing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:11 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:30 PM.
So many interesting responses. I had a feeling there would be many different viewpoints on this, since in the end, Sims 2 is a great game to have total control over. *whispers* I just didn't expect so many responses. This is great.

I never use Wardrobe Wrangler for townifying; I'm sure it's easy, but I am very comfortable editing things in SimPE, so I find it very quick to just go that route. I've only used the Wardrobe Wrangler to turn accessories into Bon Voyage jewelry, since I don't know how to do that in SimPE.

I honestly still prefer it when other creators don't townify their clothes, but I do like genetics to be townified, since I'm typically selective what I put in my game anyway. I like my 'hood to look uniform, and my townies to look like my playables, so I typically townify clothes I'd like to see. But when I first started downloading, I never thought of whether something was already townie-enabled, unless the creator was kind enough to mention it. Personally, I think regardless of the download, it should be mentioned whether it's townified or not (except makeup, since I don't believe that can be townified, unless someone cares to enlighten me).

I generally feel themed things should have the same amount of attention as modern clothes. Many people do like to play themed 'hoods, so there's no reason why clothes shouldn't be townified for them, since they'd fit in more than a t-shirt and jeans in such a world. I just feel that the creator should mention whether it's been townified or not, if they don't provide the two options.
Scholar
#33 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 2:04 PM
I admit, I'm personally picky when it comes to townifying and geneticising things. I went through a 90-eye set once, put screenshots of the swatches into an image editing file, and meticulously worked through on what level of genetic dominance each eye would be, as well as detownifying any I didn't want to show up randomly (typically the exceedingly recessive, almost unnatural eye colours they provided). Of course, I very soon lost that file or forgot to save it, so now playing my game I have no idea what genetic level everything is specifically, without going into SimPE and checking every individual file.

Personally? If I was making stuff I'd leave everything untownified but provide information/a link on how to townify clothing (via Wardrobe Wrangler, SimPE, or both). If everyone wants something townified then it's easier for the creator to make it townified in the first place, but with tastes so varied and diverse you can't guarantee that someone won't want an item townified.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 3:58 PM
My thought is that it isn't all that difficult, with OFB, to sell your townies new clothes that they then put on, which helps quite a lot. OFB really makes diversifying townies from Maxis tastes easy.

As far as townified goes, I . . . really don't know. I tend to get default replacements, which occasionally leads to an 'Oh, crud, Gilbert Jacquet, you're hopping the rotation because I don't like bare butts' moment--for some reason the pants he wears, my preferred default is an untucked one.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katya Stevens
Personally? If I was making stuff I'd leave everything untownified but provide information/a link on how to townify clothing (via Wardrobe Wrangler, SimPE, or both). If everyone wants something townified then it's easier for the creator to make it townified in the first place, but with tastes so varied and diverse you can't guarantee that someone won't want an item townified.

How'd you know what I was thinking? I completely agree with that idea. Besides, it never hurts to learn something new, for those who haven't townified things.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 6:24 PM
I think one should either offer both, or as not townified. Reasoning is that it's easy to townify clothing yourself, not so easy to un-townify. Best of both worlds is to offer both alternatives. I wish more people would do that with jewelry, have one glasses-version and one BV-binned.
Page 2 of 2