Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 11:21 AM
Default Help with Frankenmesh UV
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, newbie mesher with a serious problem and MTS seems like the best place to ask. I've looked everywhere and haven't found this exact problem anywhere. Apologies if I missed it.

OKAY! I'm practicing how to mesh and I've run into a UV mapping problem. I've attached Trapping's hiking looking boots to CatofEvilGenius' cuff shorts and Amaryll's basic tee. Everything works fine, the mesh is fine, loads into body shop, etc etc. HOWEVER, as you can see in the image the sole of the boots appears on the calves!

Here is my UV map that UVMapper Pro extracts (I don't have the patience to do it in Milkshape unless I really have to)

(Another apology for the hugeness of the files)
I've also attached a zip with my Milkshape file, the UV map, and my current texture just in case it's needed to solve the problem. As a side note, I think all pieces of the mesh are not grouped in the file, but they are grouped when I use it (otherwise the mesh doesn't show up). Any help at all would be very much appreciated!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ariuvhelp.zip (608.7 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 12:30 PM
That map is weird - where are the legs? Do the legs look right when you apply a proper skintone to them (e.g. are the knees in the right place)?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 9:33 PM
Oh sorry, this is the UV map I messed around with to find the problem. The one in the zip has the legs and everything. Everything is in the right place except the part of the shoes soles.
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 11:03 AM
is this new mesh?
and you regrouping them without placing them separete first like in unimesh tutorial (http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._-_wiki_version)

if yes, i did that too. The solution i have is back in your save before you joining(regrouping) them if you had more than save file in your project.
saving is important i think, because when i got trouble i can back one major step or two before too messing my mesh

hope this help
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haikinom
is this new mesh?
and you regrouping them without placing them separete first like in unimesh tutorial (http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._-_wiki_version)

if yes, i did that too. The solution i have is back in your save before you joining(regrouping) them if you had more than save file in your project.
saving is important i think, because when i got trouble i can back one major step or two before too messing my mesh

hope this help

Thank you haikinom! This helps greatly, now I can finally finish my mesh.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 9:31 PM
Basically, you've got the UV map for the boots overlapping the UV map for the legs. The game is trying to display the boots and legs in the same place. That won't work, right? So you need to move the boots to a clean area of the UV map where they won't overlap anything else, and then move the boot part of the texture to the same spot using your graphics program. This can be tricky if there isn't enough room.

In cases where there just isn't enough room, you can make the boots their own mesh group. You basically do that the way you would make an alpha mesh, except nothing needs to be transparent. (I like to recommend CatOfEvilGenius's alpha skirt tutorial for instructions on how to add that extra group, because it's easy to follow and it works.) I've done the shoes separately on a few of my meshes where I just didn't feel like moving all the UV bits around and messing with the texture to make everything fit. If I recall correctly, I did this with A Winter Walk because the custom boots took up a weird amount of space and I didn't want to have to bother squishing everything onto one texture.