Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 4:03 PM
I use names from other computer games, cartoons, or books. Names from history is another good source.
Advertisement
Scholar
#102 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 5:14 PM
Another Nymbler-lover here. Great for getting the same name style.

But I adore pun names. I had a Fortune sim called Macon Bacon, an alien called Ali Jensen (he and his wife had 10 kids, all with names starting with Al), an orphanage director with the last name Foster etc.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#103 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Same initial letter doesn't bother me much.

But my sister's name is Pegi. Yes, they not only gave us nearly identical names (so that we were both constantly addressed by the other's name even by our parents), they repeated their spelling insanity! But at least screwing up the possessive on her doesn't lead to any unfortunate accidents.

You must be the older sister. I imagine Pegi has a different story. My mother not only felt she had to give us similar names, but that she had to name us after her or my father. As you can imagine, that wasn't bad for the firstborn child. Her name Is Judith Diane. Isn't that pretty? However, that meant that not only did my name had to start with J, but I had to be named after my father. From this I derived two of my life's rules: children should have their own unique name or be named after a deceased relative, and siblings should not have alliterative or rhyming names.

Not only was I given a male name, but I had to follow my brilliant sister all the way through school. With the same last name, Davis, and the same first initial, teachers could spot me a mile away, and think how great it was going to be to have another smart student. But I fooled 'em. I didn't listen and I never studied. It's ironic that I held 4.0 in college and became a teacher

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#104 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 7:50 PM
My sims receive their names from multiple sources - most receive names consistent with their backstory and "ethnicity," if their heritage is important to them. Being named after honoured ancestors is common as well. Other names come from name lists - popular names, old-fashioned names, biblical and puritan names, etc. The end result ends up being quite a mish-mash, the names of the children born in the last completed week of play are: Adebowale, Ayotunde, Olivia, Neeraj, Absalom, Sarah, Fatima, Clover, Gideon, Brooklyn Jessica, Emily, Xerxes, Mia, Melinda, Sawyer, Caleb, Thomas Jefferson, Hayleigh, and Mabel.
Mad Poster
#105 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Not only was I given a male name, but I had to follow my brilliant sister all the way through school. With the same last name, Davis, and the same first initial, teachers could spot me a mile away, and think how great it was going to be to have another smart student. But I fooled 'em. I didn't listen and I never studied. It's ironic that I held 4.0 in college and became a teacher

Me and my sister were like that in high school. We have a very uncommon last name so even though we both look different (she has brown hair, green eyes and I have red hair, blue eyes - to name a few differences), whenever they said my name in the register I got "Are you Kayleigh [lastname]'s sister?". She was in the top classes for everything and was insanely well behaved but had a bad temper when people bullied her. Everyone always expected me to be super smart just like her and have a bad temper. Nope. I mean, I was in the 2nd top class, top class for some things - but I was only ever getting C's and the occasional B. Whereas my sister was getting A's and A*'s. As for bullies - I'm probably one of the most laid back people ever, so when the people who use to bully her would try to bully me, expecting the same reaction I'd usually just shrug it off. Weirdly, I went on to go to University whereas she hasn't had a job since she finished college (not the same thing as Uni or American college, to anyone not from the UK). Now my little brother's started high school and no-one ever asks him if he's related to either of us, he's so lucky

My Mum liked to give all her daughters names beginning with K or C. Kayleigh, Cassandra, Chloe and Katrina. Our two brothers both share the name 'Anthony', one as a middle name and one as a first name. She tried to keep with welsh middle names, but eventually stopped.. not sure why.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#106 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 9:04 PM
My sister looked like our father. She had dark hair and cornflower blue eyes. I look like my mom, blonde with dark blue eye and dimples. I also have very, very white skin. My mother said I looked like a china doll when I was a baby. My whole life people have come up to me wanting to compare their skin with mine, even strangers. Anyway, I was always known as "Judy's sister" as though I didn't have a name. By the way,I forgot one of my other life's rules, it is not cute to name a girl after her father. Don't do it, EVER. Yes, I was scarred.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#107 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 10:04 PM
I look like my Dad. For half of my life I looked like my Mum... then teenage-hood my face suddenly became more manly. Like a broken face template my sister looks like my Mum but got the 'big boob gene' from my paternal grandma. Whereas I got all the medical problems from both sides (though we both got the terrible acne. Thank god that stage is over). The good thing is, at least I'm not as short as her She can never find clothes to fit because she's too small for adult clothes but teen clothes aren't wide enough across the chest.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
From this I derived two of my life's rules: children should have their own unique name or be named after a deceased relative, and siblings should not have alliterative or rhyming names.

My grandmother got out of naming my mom after her mother and MIL by using names similar to their names... I was the one saddled with the original names, as my middle names. It's just NOW gotten to a point where filling out forms requiring my "middle initial" actually provide room for both initials. So I'd add on "singular middle name" to that list.

I look like someone, somehow managed to forget to roll the pacifier between me and my mom. My skin is darker, my eyes are bluer, I'm more slender, and I have my dad's ears (he had an odd mutation on them that I passed onto my son, too.)... but otherwise it's hard to tell us apart. People who've known us for years still can't tell us apart on the phone, and I get random students coming up to me commenting on the last class she taught. It doesn't help that we both look like we've drank from the fountain of youth (brag!).
Theorist
#109 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 1:00 AM
I too am immediately recognizable as my mother's daughter; although there's an awful lot of my father in there, it's not as instantly obvious. If I have the hairdresser straighten my hair with a blowdryer, it's actually scary to look in the mirror and see my mother looking back. People took us for sisters for a long time, although now her hair is gray that doesn't happen so much anymore. The way I look now (about 25-ish) is the way I've looked since I was 12, and (if my mother is anything to go by) it's how I'll look at least until my own hair goes gray.

I already mentioned my game-naming system, but for RL names, I like the Jewish tradition where "to name a child after" means "to start the child's name with the same letter," not "to give the child the same name." I also like the part of the tradition that says you only name people after the dead -- cuts down on alliterative names within a generation, like the Newsons have!

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 1:00 AM
Benjamin Long just had twin boys with one of my legacy sims.

I named them Short and Stout.
Page 5 of 5