Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 11:25 AM
Default What is the best way to "declutter" your download folder without corrupting your existing hood?
Its seems one or several is causing some conflicts with a sims free will - they wont do anything, probably a glitch from a fix or mod. HCDU doesnt read any conflicts.

So Im thinking of creating a testhood to clean up my download folder because several month ago, I download so many fixes and auto/no/less/ mods randomly and have about 4000 files (1,50GB) of mostly hacks (plus several maxi default replacements). The problem is that, Im afraid I will corrupt my exisiting hoods by pulling out CC or npcs I shouldnt have (Ive read about the faqs about them). I've made back ups of my download folder and neighborhood folder though, just in case.

So, Im wondering whats the best ways to clean and organizing your download folders? Where to start etc...
Some files has strange names and I dont rememeber where all downloads are from - Does any program (Download organizer, Clean Installer etc) read what each file do?

I know there are threads about organizing and back ups, but I havent seen any specifally about removing CC content.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 1:41 PM
I believe the only thing you should never take out of your downloads is if you have a multi pt-mod.
There are several ways to clean up - you can do the 50/50 thingie - take out the defaults and custom content items first, I'd leave the hacks alone if no conflict is reported.
If it remains the same, then start taking out the hacks - you can do this one by one, or you can take all of them out and start adding them again one by one.
You might also start by taking out your most recent downloads, because, if there was no problem before, the last downloads would probably the cause.
Strongs - been there, done that. It is worth it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 1:56 PM
Ive read at some hacks read-me/warnings that when a sim is just standing still doing nothing on free will is because of an error the creator didnt fixed something about the mod. But I had cc where CC were the culsprit in other cases as well, But I am pretty sure its a behavior or fix hack that is the culsprit. One of them also conflict with the inheritage when a sim dies. "selectyourcementary" overlaps with the dialogue about how much money relatives get. (dont think its the same hack as the one messing up free will).

Ive so many of them and didnt read the readme files if they conflict with eachother. I've multi-pt mods so I know I cant delete them, but on other threads, I read that some objects can spawn npc's so Im not sure what to remove. Like, Ive a relgious mod (CJH) that spawned a npc.

Right now, Im editing my hood, remove all CC (bodyshop, custom careers etc) on the actual sims and deleting their residental lots (fortunatly, I havent start building on them) and move them to new lots before I start pulling out CC content (Because I hate jump bugs and flashing blue glitches that can happen when a mesh is missing).

Justpetro. Several weeks ago, I reorgnazing my folders so I dont remember which files are the most recents one. ^^;;

At least half of the downloads are hacks, so going through about 2000 files wont be fun.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 1:58 PM
You shouldn't take out PT mods, objects which create NPCs, geneticised Bodyshop content, or food. Taking out careers and majors also causes problems, but they're fixable ones.

Making a test 'hood is a good idea. If you don't load your regular 'hoods while you're 50/50ing then there shouldn't be any problem, but if you want to be doubly safe, cut and paste your regular 'hoods somewhere like the desktop while you're 50/50ing, then put them back when you're done. Or rename your whole EA Games folder and do your testing in a new one.

If you're planning on deleting a load of stuff, then you certainly can strip all the CC off your sims and out of their houses before you start. But if you're just looking for the conflict culprit, or you're only going to dump stuff you don't use very often - I wouldn't bother. It's a lot more work to take all the CC out of your neighbourhood and then put it all back in once you've finished deleting stuff, than it is to leave the 'hood alone and fix the occasional sim who got forced into some random EA clothes because you deleted their outfit, y'know?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:09 PM
It actually those files Im afraid of pulling out when removing files from the download folder like when after created the test hood and deleted files - that hood might work properly, but im afraid my exisiting hood is going to get hit from it.

I plan to make a make over for my entire hood (I only have one), so i rather make sure all sims dont wear any CC or have any CC on their lot before deleting the files. Im fine with going back editing my families, because I was planning to do that anyway. Clothing, Career, Majors, Hacked objects, Bodyshop etc - all sims will get an makeover.

Btw. Does diseased sims get affected when removing CC they used to wear or have? Such as clothing or makeup?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:11 PM
Also mods that give sims a token like ACR (at least you should uninstall it in the neighbourhood first - if you have ACR you should have instructions on how to do that).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:21 PM
What I do:

Look through my mods folder and make a folder called "Do not remove". I put all mods which I know shouldn't be removed in there. This includes ACR, inteen, lot sync timer, geneticised stuff which is non default and a few more I'm not sure about.

Take your main neighbourhood folder out completely and store it on the desktop.

Remove all CC except the "do not remove" stuff.

Load up the game, open (or start a new) "test" hood. Test the scenario. It should work. Quit. (you don't have to save, it doesn't matter.)

Put in half or one folder of CC, load hood, see what happens. Repeat with various combos of CC until you find a working one.

To save time, use Delphy's Download Organiser to isolate mods into a separate folder first.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 5:19 PM
Do you mean deceased?

I don't think you have to worry about the files you pull out. It's not like you won't know what they are - when you've narrowed your conflict down to a handful of files it's easy enough to look at them and check if any are things you shouldn't pull out, and decide what to do from there.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 6:20 PM
Hmmmm---- I pulled out everything except those mods/objects I needed and created a completly fresh testhood. Tried it several times, but I keep getting errors.

Im going to get a new computer soon, so I might consider recreating my download folder from scratch but that also means creating a new neighborhood.

(I do like my custom hood, but to honnest, sometimes, it was a bit overwhelming and I didnt play it seriously. Just aging them up without even playing them).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 6:56 PM
Maybe it is simply time for a fresh start I did not know about the other things you cannot pull out since I never use them, so I hope I did not mislead you!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:12 PM
Make sure to always keep in No Sim Loaded or other Super Hug fix in your 'Do Not remove' folder as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make sure to always keep in No Sim Loaded or other Super Hug fix in your 'Do Not remove' folder as well.

Ironically, No Sim Loaded was the one that keep sending me error "kill sim" "subub-something dont exist" after I moved the rest of the downloads to my deskop and when I created a new hood. Strange....
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:36 PM
If you've pulled your normal hood(s) out, and only have test hoods playable, then it's fine to pull out even do not remove type mods. Try removing them one by one and see what happens. Just make sure you reinstate the offending mod when you put your hood back in, just long enough to uninstall it properly, or upgrade it or whatever it is you have to do to make it work. When you replace your hood back into the game, keep a copy, and never put it back in without those "do not remove" mods in place.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:56 PM
Could be you have some kind of corruption, no sim loaded is trying to fry tokens, remove gossip and fix sim states.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:58 PM
In the testhood Im testing the mods. I dont even have any mods that add tokens right now and Ive the mod that remove gossip as well. o,O' Pulling out ACR from another hood that I removed from the neighborhood folder, I dont think that hood would corrupt a never played before hood, or can it?

Do you have to uninstall token related mods for hoods you've destroyed as well? Because that wouldnt make sense,
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:04 PM
Bo Sim Loaded doesn't destroy tokens from mods, those are Maxis coded tokens it's destroying, to keep your game clean.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:14 PM
Update. I recieve this error when enter a lot for the first time.

Object Error
An error occured in object "Kill Token - Sim Loaded" #345, Error: Bad gosub tree number.

The log file, shown in spoiler:

and a loooong list of "dumps"
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:17 PM
Bad gosub tree indicates you either do not have all EP's or something is missing from an EP that should be there. So say for example a mod is trying to get code from AL and you don't have AL installed that bad gosub would pop up. It may also do that if perhaps you are using an outdated mod, so say you are using one for Nightlife when you should be using a Free Time version- I think.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:20 PM
But I have all EP and Stuff packs...?
(and No Sim Loaded worked perfectly in my custom hood).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:49 PM
Well there might be another reason for BGT, but as far as I know it means it can't access code it needs.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 11:03 PM
Woops. I think i found the problem... I forget to put in Cyjon Smarter EP. It seems to require it. Another mod moved back to the dontremove folder....

(Will have to check tomorrow if that solve the problem. Gotta go to sleep now ).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 11:22 PM
That would do it, glad that part is sorted.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 9:42 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 27th Feb 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Yup. Smarter EP's fixed that error. So now I can go further with my "declutter" project. Adding my essential mods and CC first before figure out which fixes/hacks to keep

Edit: I decided to remove most of my fixes except those I know I will be using. The free will glitch is fixed. Now I just have to see about the cementary bug that overlaps inheritage with selectyourcementary.

Edit 2: The cementary bug is also fixed. :lovestruc: