Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 1:21 PM Last edited by TortureTheNannies : 21st Sep 2012 at 7:50 PM.
Dual Cores with Sims 2
Some of you have experience using programs like ForceCore or AMD's patch for timing resources. These help older programs use dual core processors. I am thinking the laptop should have this , but I'm not sure how to use it or what benefit will happen. How do you improve the game? I've heard some people say "the operating system is on one core, while sims 2 plays on the other core" .
Just to run the game on this laptop, I had to install Mansions and Gardens stuff. The latest pack really helps it run.

Further info. After reading MATY guide , I must say this computer is the laptop dual core running Windows 7.. Attempted to find the answer to this question, but unsure of the gibberish I found. "Does Windows 7 need a ForceCore application?" and does that app run on win 7?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 2:15 PM
Default AMD's Patch
Quote: Originally posted by TortureTheNannies
Some of you have experience using programs like ForceCore or AMD's patch for timing resources. These help older programs use dual core processors. I am thinking the laptop should have this , but I'm not sure how to use it or what benefit will happen. How do you improve the game? I've heard some people say "the operating system is on one core, while sims 2 plays on the other core" .
Just to run the game on this laptop, I had to install Mansions and Gardens stuff. The latest pack really helps it run.

Further info. After reading MATY guide , I must say this computer is the laptop dual core running Windows 7.. Attempted to find the answer to this question, but unsure of the gibberish I found. "Does Windows 7 need a ForceCore application?" and does that app run on win 7?

Don't know about ForceCore, but AMD's patch works wonders for older games. The sims 2 was really "sloooooooooooow" on my Athlon 64 x2 with vista, now that I finally got around to installing AMD's patch, now the sims 2 are smooth as silk on max detail.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 2:34 PM
What is this AMD patch? Is it a MATY thing?
Interested, because both my computers have dual core processors.
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 5:00 PM
Default AMD patch
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
What is this AMD patch? Is it a MATY thing?
Interested, because both my computers have dual core processors.

The patch is just the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer. It works on older amd processors only. It fixes problem's that some old games have with AMD dual core processors.

Hears version 1.1.4. It says for XP, but it installed and works just fine on my Vista Home Premium x64.
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...342f&ItemID=153
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 8:48 PM
I run on a dual core and 7 and I haven't got any optimizing program, and no problems. From what I understand 7 has some built in ability to shunt the OS to one core and the game to the other.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
#6 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 2:00 AM
Sunbee, If you go into task manager you can change which core your applications are using if you have a multi-core processor by assigning a core affinity This is especially helpful for programs that are cpu hogs but cannot utilize more than one core. The downside to this is that you must select the affinity each and every time.

What I've noticed matters more for Sims 2 and other EA games such as SC4 is your GPU. I know SC4 has an issue with newer AMD GPUs that can be fixed but it isn't as simple as just downloading a file.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 3:50 AM
Just an update and closing out. I think that MATY guide was for much older systems. Sims 2 is working now on Win 7 laptop. I'm testing system performance with the processor affinity command (set affininty in task mananger on Win 7) . I need a better tool to see how it works. Thank you for your kind replies.