Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 5:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Uni Sims Lost Majors - Ideas?
Hi there. I'm running TS2 on Windows XP, and I recently downloaded and added whiterider's "Missing Majors Uberpack", charleeheart's "Maxis Match Majors", and FrikaC's "Majors Made Easier". For some reason, after I added these three pieces of custom content, none of my class progress bars would expand past 25%, so I removed the custom content and reloaded my game. Now none of my University sims - even those using default majors - have majors any more, and I don't have the "college" option on any computer or phone for them at all. The "job" tab is blank for them - it doesn't say "Unemployed" or anything at all. I can't get them off of the University lot until they graduate, and they can't graduate without a college major. I tried moving the affected sims out of their dorms and back in, but no dice. I really don't want to delete them and start over unless I absolutely have to, because that means I'll have to reset the entire neighborhood they came from - they're third-generation sims. I don't know if reinstalling University would fix the problem, or delete the sims, since they're on a University lot.

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong and how I can fix it? I'm running low on ideas here...
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 6:04 PM
I know that this doesn't help, but in the future you might want to backup your save game before adding CC. That way, if something goes really wrong, you can restore from your backup and avoid problems.

If you don't have a backup, you'll probably want to make one now. At the very least, you'll know that your attempts to fix the problem won't make it even worse, since you can always restore.

Whatever you do, you don't want to delete sims, since that will corrupt your neighborhood unless done properly (with the Batbox and SimPE).
Instructor
#3 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 7:28 PM
Could you not use something like InSim to age them up to adults, then go back to their families in the main neighbourhood, summon them and add them to the family? Of course, they wouldn't have graduated, but at least you'd have them back. Also, I'm not sure if removing custom majors from your downloads is completely safe. I know that with custom foods, and possibly custom careers (can't remember) it can corrupt your neighbourhood.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Banned
#4 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 7:40 PM
I've tried aging college students using boolprop and the tombstone of L & D and it ages them to Elders rather than Adults.
Site Helper
#5 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 10:11 PM
You could try moving them back to the main neighborhood, which should age them up. Then, age them back down to teens, use SimPE to remove the unwanted memories, then send them to college again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
You could try moving them back to the main neighborhood, which should age them up. Then, age them back down to teens, use SimPE to remove the unwanted memories, then send them to college again.

I can't move them out of the University without having them graduate though - or am I missing something?
Site Helper
#7 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 4:48 AM
You can move them back to the main neighborhood by having a friend or family member ask them to move in. In that case, they will probably fail university (unless the person asking them to move in has a university degree).
Inventor
#8 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 12:18 PM
Did you try deleting your cache files? Probably won't help , but it can't hurt as they regenerate. A few links where class progress bar becoming stuck was discussed...http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=189781 , http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=312013 , http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,7597.0.html . I recall the bars sticking being discussed and , I believe , solved on one of the forum posts here recently. Sorry , but I can't recall where I saw it. Good luck!

ETA , as Mootilda said , whatever you do don't delete sims and I would try to hold off on re installing as well , hopefully someone here will have some ideas.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 2:43 PM
The tragedy here is that the stuck progress bars aren't really stuck - it's a cosmetic glitch only. As long as you fill their required skills and go to class often enough, they'll pass normally. It's odd for all of your students to have the glitch, but it's an annoyance, not a game-breaker.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jan 2013 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
You can move them back to the main neighborhood by having a friend or family member ask them to move in. In that case, they will probably fail university (unless the person asking them to move in has a university degree).

I've tried a couple non-Uni friends and family members, and when I invite the Uni sims over, none of them get the option to invite them to move in. :/

And I do delete my .cache files pretty often - my game won't even load most days if I don't do that first.
Site Helper
#11 Old 29th Jan 2013 at 6:46 PM
Have you tried one of Inge's teleporters? You can summon any sim and then add them to the family.
http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 7:53 PM
I tried teleporting my college sims and moving them in, but the few who still had majors still had them in the neighborhood, and those that didn't have majors still wouldn't stay on the lot after I moved them in - they left and went back to college. :/ I think I'm just going to uninstall and reinstall everything; it'll make a good chance for me to go through my mods and custom content and clean out some of the old stuff I never use anyway. Thanks for all the effort to help, guys - you were great, I'm just super frustrated with this and tired of struggling with it.
Site Helper
#13 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 8:42 PM
I'm sorry that we weren't able to fix your problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling will only help if you have a corrupt installation. Do you think that you've corrupted your installation somehow? You can clean your mods and custom content without reinstalling.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 7:22 AM
I think I must have, because the longer I keep trying to play the game, the more stuff is "disappearing" - not just the majors now, but families that came with the game's expansion packs are disappearing, my pets are going missing, and I had a teenager "sneak out" and not come back. It looks like it's a bigger problem than just the Uni custom majors not working now, so I think it's probably safest to start from scratch.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 10:07 AM
I don't think that necessarily means your installed game is corrupted, just the neighbourhood. If you have a backup, you could try putting that back in. If not, if it's a premade neighbourhood, they are very easy to reset, the instructions are here. If it's a custom neighbourhood, and you don't have a backup, I'm sorry to say but it sounds like it's on its last legs.
Site Helper
#16 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 4:35 PM
You can check whether your installation files are corrupted. Look at each objects.package in C:\Program Files\EA Games and see whether the date modified matches other files in the folder. If the objects.package has been modified recently, then your installation is corrupt and you might want to reinstall (although there are other methods for getting back an uncorrupted package). If the objects.package date is close to the date of all other files in the folder, then your installation is probably fine.

There's no harm with uninstalling and reinstalling. It's just that we see a number of people who find out that they've lost their CD Keys, or who discover that their CD / DVD is scratched and won't work. Unfortunately, they've already uninstalled and started reinstalling, so there's not much that we can do to help them. These problems can be mitigated by ensuring that you have all of your CD Keys and by making sure that your drive can read all of your CD / DVDs before you uninstall.

Because of the above, we tend to encourage people to avoid reinstalling unless it is necessary (ie, corrupted installation files). Instead, we suggest that they reset their save games by moving their existing save game (Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2) somewhere else on their hard drive (for example, their desktop), and then running the game and allowing it to regenerate everything.

Of course, it's completely up to you. As I said above, there's no harm in reinstalling. However, at this time it sounds like the corruption is in your save game, not your installation files. If that's true, you can save yourself a lot of time by just resetting your save game.