Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 12:32 AM
Default What kind of programming should I learn
What kind of programming do I need to learn about in order to do core mods and stuff?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:14 AM Last edited by Arsil : 16th Oct 2014 at 7:34 AM.
Short answer: IL for core mods and C# for other stuff, but mostly you need to get familiar
with the game libraries and use the right tools. It's a slow process of trial and errors, but
if you, unlike me, read carefully tutorials and forums then you can shorten it without
having to figure out things that others already have years ago.

Long answer: check THIS for more information.

Well, for core modding I also tried to decompile an entire core dll into C# code, but then I couldn't
recompile it because there were weird symbols (like $$ if I remember correctly) that the compiler
didn't know how to handle. I guess expert modders/coders didn't suggest to use ildasm and ilasm
for nothing... even if for a minute I thought that no one ever tried that approach and that I was a pioneer. LOL.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Short answer: IL for core mods and C# for other stuff, but mostly you need to get familiar
with the game libraries and use the right tools. It's a slow process of trial and errors, but
if you, unlike me, read carefully tutorials and forums then you can shorten it without
having to figure out things that others already have years ago.

Long answer: check THIS for more information.

Well, for core modding I also tried to decompile an entire core dll into C# code, but then I couldn't
recompile it because there were weird symbols (like $$ if I remember correctly) that the compiler
didn't know how to handle. I guess expert modders/coders didn't suggest to use ildasm and ilasm
for nothing... even if for a minute I thought that no one ever tried that approach and that I was a pioneer. LOL.

So IL stands for ildasm or ilasm?
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#4 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexanderKitely
So IL stands for ildasm or ilasm?
IL stands for Intermediate Language. Source files for the CLI (Common Language Runtime) get compiled to (C)IL. For core modding you need to edit IL files at least to some degree. For standalone scripting mods you can write C#.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman