Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 6:15 AM
Default Custom Content in TS3
It might be a little too early for this, but...

Do you see as much CC in TS3 as there were in TS2?

To me, I don't think we'll need much CC--unless you want a new item of furniture. And I think for the CAS in TS3, well, it looks like it could need CC eyes, hair, or skintones.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 6:37 AM
And I'm going to add hacks on your list. Not everyone will be happy with the gameplay straight out of the box. Unless there will be no SimPE or any similar program for TS3.
#3 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 7:31 AM
Well, one thing is that if we get gradual aging, it will be extremely difficult to make CC clothing. I'm not sure if TS3 is going to have the same customisation possibilities.
#4 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 7:34 AM
I think there will be just as much as for TS2, if not more. No matter how tricky CC creation will end up being, some will know how to do it - will find out how to extract items/code and will go nuts with it.

Simply because it's a game, and this is the internet. :D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 8:24 AM
There certainly will be a lot less (or none) recolours, due to fact you can drag textures from one piece of furniture to another.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 8:42 AM
I still think there will be lots of cc made. I live for cc and I don't think i would be happy with a sims game that you couldn't get lots of great downloads for.
#7 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fiahlord
Well, one thing is that if we get gradual aging, it will be extremely difficult to make CC clothing. I'm not sure if TS3 is going to have the same customisation possibilities.

don't know if the sims 3 works on an engine simmilar like this, but if you create a cube with brick texture in a 3d figure maker program(google sketchup?), and stretch it however you want, it still keeps the brick texture, no matter how big or small it is; so even if the sims will gradually age, they still keep the same clothes; anyway, clothes are mere textures put on the sims; i can edit a piece of clothing in Microsoft Paint with a bit of help from the CAS(extract the cloth, and open it in paint lol)
#8 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 12:46 AM
Yes, I definitely think there will be CC for TS3. After all, just look at how plastic and doll-like the sims from the TS3 screenshots look. There are a lot of people who don't like this and prefer more realistic sims, so creators will make all sorts of skintones, eyes and the like. And what about clothes? If it's true what bookworm_duo said, it won't be very hard to make CC clothing, so creators will make that too. There are all sorts of possibilities for CC in the new game...just take a look at Modthesims2!
Instructor
#9 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 12:56 AM
Sure there's going to be CC for the game,but with the way everyone is calling for sliders for different bodyshapes and heights,won't make it 10x harder for creators to make clothing for every stage of weight and height?. Just saying,since some creators already don't add fat morphs to their clothes.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkgirl4real
Sure there's going to be CC for the game,but with the way everyone is calling for sliders for different bodyshapes and heights,won't make it 10x harder for creators to make clothing for every stage of weight and height?. Just saying,since some creators already don't add fat morphs to their clothes.

Yeah, but I hope the CC ages and follows the bodyshapes and heights (as in when your sim gets taller, the shirt will do so as well.

Quote: Originally posted by duderocks
And I'm going to add hacks on your list. Not everyone will be happy with the gameplay straight out of the box. Unless there will be no SimPE or any similar program for TS3.
SimPE hasn't announced that they will make a version for TS3, so hacks might be a little harder to make. And the gameplay in TS3 is more complex, so it will give modders a little challenge.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkgirl4real

No.

What I'm guessing is they'll be using the same system as poser does. "Magnets". They just pull the mesh out/in into whatever body shape you choose. Some custom Meshes, complicate ones, might get deformed, but normally it will be fine. You wouldn't have to make the mesh over and over into each stage.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
Yeah, but I hope the CC ages and follows the bodyshapes and heights (as in when your sim gets taller, the shirt will do so as well. SimPE hasn't announced that they will make a version for TS3, so hacks might be a little harder to make. And the gameplay in TS3 is more complex, so it will give modders a little challenge.

But everyone loves a challenge right!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
Yeah, but I hope the CC ages and follows the bodyshapes and heights (as in when your sim gets taller, the shirt will do so as well.
Or the shirt will be comically too short, and you'll have to buy a new one. :D

Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 1:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stasisesque
I think there will be just as much as for TS2, if not more. No matter how tricky CC creation will end up being, some will know how to do it - will find out how to extract items/code and will go nuts with it.

Simply because it's a game, and this is the internet. :D

I agree - when we moved from TS1 to TS2 there was a period with a lot less custom content becuse 'it's more tricky now' but after a quiet period for people to work out the code it re-appeared again, with more than ever.

The tools to make the custom content for Sims 3 will take a while to develop as those willing to take the challange work out the code required for them. But just as it did with TS2 it will re-appear again given time.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 3:28 PM
No doubt there will be a lot of CC if the game will be popular. However, more elaborate CC than simple new patterns and recolors will be longer time coming if the game is more complicated and looks better. Half-Life is a good example. Lots of mods appeared for HL1 in first 2 years including some of the best ones within first year. For HL2 it took a year for the first TCs to start appearing and there is still many that don't have a release yet. With more advanced engine and prettier graphics, it takes much more effort to make stuff that's on par with the game.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Instructor
#16 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 8:25 PM
I definitely think there will be a lot of CC for TS3. Like other posters have said, it might take a while for the floodgates to open simply because we won't immediately have all the amazing creation and organization tools that we currently have, but there are a lot of people who are devoted to Sims CC, and as the franchise continues to improve the game I assume that the fanbase will only grow. It would be great if programs like SimPE were translated into the TS3 world but we'll probably have to be patient.

I think recolors of Maxis items might be less popular since there will be so many options straight out of the game, but who knows? They might follow their own example and make 90% of them suck, thus virtually necessitating custom recolors if players aren't going to use exclusively custom object meshes. And if the buildsets are just as horribly matched as they have been, Maxis recolors will still be all but required for making a decent looking house.

What I've always wanted to see more of in TS2 is more CC with custom animations or clever reworkings of in-game animations. There are a few good adult mods out there and I happen to love my cig smoking mod, but I haven't come across a whole ton of others that are really worth having in-game. The posing hacks are cool but since I don't make models or movies they aren't really all that useful, although it is nice to see my Sims strut their stuff from time to time. TS3 is looking a lot better in terms of graphics and animation, so hopefully it will be a good canvas for more of these kinds of mods.

I'm sure CAS CC will be as popular as it is already. I hope that people are right and the bodyshape transitions won't make clothing meshes drastically harder to create, because custom clothes are absolutely necessary, IMO, considering Maxis' fashion sense. Logo tees and the like might look a little weird on different shaped bodies but hopefully most of it won't get too terribly distorted when placed on a super-skinny or extra-plump body. Maybe this means creators will be forced to make their clothing appropriate for different body shapes including fat and pregnant (I hope so). I'm also rather hoping that, for once, we'll be able to choose our work outfits, and that they don't take away any of the current outfit types. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have outerwear right out of the box, which will be a bummer.

As for hair and makeup, I don't think creation will be much more difficult, at least with makeup, so I hope that creators will continue churning out the beautiful content. I'm going to be very sad when I can't use Bruno's lipsticks. Hopefully we'll have even more options than we do now, like a section for freckles and beauty marks that isn't dumped in blush or costume makeup, and maybe even a section for wounds and scars. I'd personally love it if we got the ability to change makeup by outfit like we can currently do with hairstyles.

Speaking of hair, I think creators will always make custom hairstyles for the Sims because, like the clothing, Maxis hairstyles tend to be on the fuggo side. Everyone likes more realistic textures and shapes not to mention more unique and varied styles. I hope it's the same with eyes, because there are some really beautiful custom eyes out there to replace the Maxis matte marble things.

The one thing I am worried about is skintones. When they say that you can choose the exact color, does that mean that it's on some sort of scale rather than several distinct, specific skins? That could make customizing them a little harder. Although it would make the game 100 times better if you were playing without CC, it could seriously limit the ability to make gorgeous custom body skins. Our Sims need musculature, collarbones/hipbones, details on the small of the back and the knees, etc! I personally think that custom skintones make our sims look more realistic than just about any other type of content, and are as important as custom hair. We need to be able to have amazing work like those by artists like Enayla, Navetsea and others. Hopefully there will still be a way.

The gameplay mods that I will miss the most and, in my opinion, will need to be remade ASAP are a nudity decensor, yellow pee, and the ability to dress in a "nude" option. Oh, and the penis mod, just because I don't like being able to see my ladies' goodies while the men walk around looking like Ken dolls. :laugh: I assume that none of these features will be included in the game itself just for rating purposes, obviously, so I hope some of the community's more talented modders are able to get them out as early as possible.

Anyway, that's some of my thoughts on CC. I've rambled on again and should probably cut myself off before I write a book about it.
#17 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by snspinelli
The gameplay mods that I will miss the most and, in my opinion, will need to be remade ASAP are a nudity decensor, yellow pee, and the ability to dress in a "nude" option. Oh, and the penis mod, just because I don't like being able to see my ladies' goodies while the men walk around looking like Ken dolls. :laugh:

Oh, you naughty thing.
#18 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 3:04 AM
i would like the penis mod actually. LOL. i've never came across it before.
hope there's a nipple mod out there too. i'm all for realism.

:D
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 4:08 AM
I agree with the others who said that there will be lots of CC for TS3. The CC community for the Sims is so huge now, it's hard to believe that many will just stop and not keep trying to make content despite the potential difficulties. There are so many talented CCers; I think they'll find a way around it.

Oh, and the penis mod, just because I don't like being able to see my ladies' goodies while the men walk around looking like Ken dolls. :laugh:

Seeing them in real life in all their floppy "glory" is more than enough for me, LOL

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Alchemist
#20 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 12:09 PM
Ugh after being so used to my anatomically correct simmies (I don't think I've had a barbie sim for 3 years now) it's going to be annoying without my mods...I'm with snspinelli on that one :P

I hope there will be as much cc of course. I can already tell the EAxis selection of clothes, hair etc is limited and, well, EAxis-ish. My poor alternative sims! I just hope there will be a Bodyshop and some talented people to create a version of SimPE for object creation and modding, but as with the Sims 2 it will probably take some time. That sucks.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 12:19 PM
...a nudity decensor, yellow pee, and the ability to dress in a "nude" option. Oh, and the penis mod, just because I don't like being able to see my ladies' goodies while the men walk around looking like Ken dolls.

I wonder what that might look like in TS3! I seriously hope there's a mod that does this!

Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima Atreides
I hope there will be as much cc of course. I can already tell the EAxis selection of clothes, hair etc is limited and, well, EAxis-ish. My poor alternative sims! I just hope there will be a Bodyshop and some talented people to create a version of SimPE for object creation and modding, but as with the Sims 2 it will probably take some time. That sucks.

I agree with you on this. CC's for those who aren't really satisfied with EAxis' taste in clothes, hair, decorations, or anything. Bodyshop for TS3 would be nice, but I shudder to think how complicated that would turn out. SimPE? I hope they do release a version for TS3. But if not...Let's just say game modis will be a challenge, making the nude patch (as stated by snspinelli) maybe impossible.
Alchemist
#22 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 12:34 PM
It doesn't necessarily need to be a lot more complicated, making clothing and general bodyshop content at least. If they are using the same system as the Sims2, instead of a normal, fat and sometimes pregnant morph, body meshes will have normal, skinny, chubby, fat, very fat etc morphs instead. That is going to make meshing quite a bit more difficult indeed, but it doesn't really affect texturing. Skintones, makeup etc doesn't need to be more difficult at all. Since we don't know how they will be built we can't say yet that it's going to be either more difficult or impossible.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#23 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 7:40 PM
Ghani - They may simply do the bodies via some system similar to Poser magnets - you have one basic body and it simply deforms. No actual morphs or separate bodies.

A lot of the reason Sims 2 modding exploded so quickly was because of the prerelease Body Shop. Before the game was ever out, modders had files in the game's format to fiddle with, to figure out the file formats, and to begin trying to figure out how to do all the exotic things we have done with TS2. For TS3, that doesn't appear to be the case - they've said nothing about a prerelease anything, and there's actually been statements that certain tools (like for neighborhood editing) will only come out months after the actual game itself.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Alchemist
#24 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 8:55 PM
Would the Poser system make things easier then? (I have absolutely no experience with Poser lol)

There is still time, I think, for them to pre-release something even if it hasn't been advertised yet...(I wasn't in the scene so to say when Sims 2 wasn't yet released since I never played Sims 1 so I can't say but how long before the actual release was Bodyshop out?) but just the fact that they have mentioned tools is encouraging, it means modding of some sort will be possible and from there, perhaps people with the right knowledge can do more. After all most of the object modding for the sims 2 was done by fans since there is no 'body shop" for objects in the first place, though the .package format could be studied from it. Maybe Sims 3 modding will work in a similar way.

And let's not forget that EAxis knows a large part of the game's popularity is due to the modability of it. I kind of doubt they would make sims 3 entirely unmodable.

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 10:40 PM
I am also hoping for the Penis mod as well as some goos make up and skin. The skin is so flat but I admit it does look better than TS2 Ialso wnta retextures and eyes those are my biggest downloads.
Page 1 of 2