Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:46 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 31st Aug 2015 at 2:57 PM.
Sims 3 Townies?
Does the game have a townie generation system?

I mean sims that don't have NPC roles (i.e. maid), and aren't immediately playable.

I guess the World Adventures tourists could be considered NPCS (though I think they have a home in the Vacation worlds), but I wonder if a system where you get random partially-generated sims to fill out your town (and which are permanently deleted after use) would help flesh out a town's population.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 7:28 PM
Yes the game does generate townies. With Twallan's Master Controller you can generate your own townies. See how-to here http://realsims3.weebly.com/how-to-...-different.html
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 9:39 PM
Does the system really work?

I've noticed that all non NPC sims using community lots (where townies really matter) owned a house.

The tutorial you have linked seems to deal with sims moving into the town (and into a house), rather than truly lotless townies.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 12:51 PM
I don't understand your question about the system really working? There are homeless sims in my game, generated by the game and I think they are service NPCs. I'm not sure if some of the homeless sims are also just regular townies. It seems like I had some. I don't really know.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 1:43 PM
Take a look at the documentation for Managing Town Population . Hopefully there is detail in there that will help you out.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Does the game have a townie generation system?

I mean sims that don't have NPC roles (i.e. maid), and aren't immediately playable.

I guess the World Adventures tourists could be considered NPCS (though I think they have a home in the Vacation worlds), but I wonder if a system where you get random partially-generated sims to fill out your town (and which are permanently deleted after use) would help flesh out a town's population.

To my knowledge, TS3 manages NPCs in a few ways. First, it will generate a new sim (or find an existing sim with no role) whenever there is a role to fill (say you put down a new professional bar on community lot). These sims belong to the "Service Household". Then there are sims generated either as paparazzi, tourists, apartment dwellers (the sims that live in the doors behind hidden walls). And then you also have immigrants whom the game pushes in once in a while as new residents to populate the world. These sims are not NPC but rather playable as if you generate new families on your own and push them into empty lots.

Not sure if it helps answering your question. But here is the interesting part: the apartment dwellers will either take on a career like your resident sims and become your co-workers. They can also take on a role like a bartender. But that is not to say all roled sims have an "apartment" to live in, as the "Service Household" doesn't require an address (yes they live in limbo and pop out of thin air when going to work).

NRAAS Register has a way of controlling population. For instance, I drive out all my paparazzi and set their population to 0 so they won't appear again. Nothing against real life paparazzi but these NPC are more annoying than helpful in my game. I also limit all animal populations and there is also a way to drive out all unused homeless sims (or service household sims). Interestingly, not all roled sims belong to the service household. Thus, one time I found my cafeteria waiter froze to blue and collapsed on the floor in which my resident had to come to the rescue. It was at an outdoor pool and it was snowing. Service Household should have their motives frozen (no need to use bathroom, not worrying about temperature, etc...)

Hope this helps.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Theorist
#7 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:43 PM
From what I have observed, the 'service household' will also go live in apartments with NPC doors. You can have dozens of mixologists etc. living in one apartment building. Other times they will choose an empty lot in town. These are the lots that will show an empty house icon and if you want to place a house, you have to bulldoze the lot first to "evict" the squatters.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy