Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 3:14 PM
Default Little Lambs
I have built a shop for the monthly theme (Maternity and beyond) - but I haven't built a business that can be owned for uploading for a long time - so I would like some feedback.

The lot is rather expensive, that is the first thing that bothers me (46,000+) I can make it smaller and cheaper, but I also like to have a kitchen and office of my own sims (and a shower) when they work longer hours.

I have not added anything to the space behind the fences, because in game I normally add stuff along the way (may be a chess table for staff members, extra seating) once there actually are hired staff members and the family is not running the business on their own. I could add some things, but it will increase the price.

I would also like to hear if the look is acceptable for a shop selling baby and toddler stuff. I tried to use no cc, but in the end, I did use 3 of Honeywell's pretty walls (and one of her foundation walls) because it just did not look right to me with any combo of maxi's walls.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 7:35 PM
Well, I like the exterior very much - very nice colours and you have a nice decorative flair. It looks very pretty. As for the interior, speaking personally (and not as a mod here), I find that a bit plain and I'd like to have more shelves or display spaces in there - for me, it doesn't look shop-like enough. Having said that, there are people around who are far more experienced OFB lot designers than I am and they might have different opinions on what is playable and suitable (I don't usually assess lots for the queue btw - I leave that to others who are more lot-fixated than me (not saying who!)). Not sure about the paved back yard - I'd put flowers and trees in there but, as you said, the lot is already expensive and they could be added once it's in play.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 9:47 PM
Thank you, maxon, I appreciate it - I will try to make it interesting inside! The only thing with more shelves - space. Customers, sales people and restocking people have to move between them all the time, and there has to be space for a queue at the cashier as well - I have taken shelves out of shops due to that in my own hood. Let me see what I can do.

Trees and flowers look pretty until the weeds start growing and the leaves start falling - then the customers start complaining, so it is extra work for the business owner, who needs to be selling stuff and not gardening. Of course it is fine if you use a perfect plants mod, but many players still choose not to, so I have been thinking of them. I would like as many people as possible (and since I have UC, it is already limited) to be able to use the lot.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Thank you, maxon, I appreciate it - I will try to make it interesting inside! The only thing with more shelves - space. Customers, sales people and restocking people have to move between them all the time, and there has to be space for a queue at the cashier as well - I have taken shelves out of shops due to that in my own hood. Let me see what I can do.

Yes, that's the issue which is why I mentioned people who are more experienced at that type of lot building than I am. It needs to be playable - in fact, that is one of the requirements of the Creator Guidelines and moderation. So ignore me about that - it's just my personal response. I think the lot is looking good.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:41 PM
Shouldn't a store be uploaded without stock? Since you can't enable wholesale prices in buy mode, and the sale and restocking prices will be based on the original price? Leaving out stock would bring the price down all by itself.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 11:51 PM
No, Peni, since I have uploaded a fully stocked flower shop which was approved at once.

Of course, it will bring the price down, so it is a good idea - but then, how will it clearly be a toddler/baby shop - for without stock, it will just be an empty shop? Since it is for the montly theme, it is kind of important. I'd love to hear a brilliant idea here, because I did think about less stock - but empty shelves will also not work all that well.

I have actually stuffed more shelves in there already, maxon I will post pics later.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 1:58 AM
Child-themed deco. Leave the bears at the front entrance, hang up the sign for the toy shop, maybe address maxon's "plain interior" observation with touches of child-themed wall, floor, or even ceiling treatments. Like, use one of the nursery-themed wallpapers on an accent wall, make a little carpet-mat for the cashier to stand on (tile is murder on the feet!) out of one of the nursery-themed floors, make a nursery floor mosaic of the ceiling, that sort of thing. I bet you can dig up something that could convey the idea without disrupting your color scheme or making the overall effect too busy.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 9:12 AM
Thank you, Peni I will have to try that out to see if it works. For me, the products in the shop should grab the customer's attention rather than the interior, because he has to buy something instead of admiring the decor, though, but I do like the idea of an accent wall and the carpet mat I will go and fiddle and post pics later.

I actually had the Toy Shop sign there, but removed it - it is not truly a toy shop as such, since it sells other things for babies and toddlers too.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 12:58 PM
Sorry for double posting, but here are the new experiments.

Price has come down with around 5000 Simoleons; I added a chess table and seating outside for staff.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 3:14 PM
I am ok with the paved yard. Many shops around here have this, instead of grass. Less maintenance. So to me, it is realistic. I see you have lots of room in front of your cash register. Good. Sims will be able to wait in line without a problem. Does your shop sells baby/toddler clothes too? Though the game clothing racks don't look baby-ish huh...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 3:22 PM
Ooh, I like those tree murals.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 4:22 PM
Thank you, Peni

Rosebine - I am thinking of uploading it without stock - as Peni noted, the shop owner can get wholesale prices. But I have actually added a clothing rack to the copy I plan to use for my own hood - it is logical and no changing booths or mirrors are needed since toddlers are not going to buy the clothes themselves.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 4:25 PM
Oh yes, I agree with having empty shelves for upload.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 4:32 PM
I will post a pic of a fully stocked one in the upload - not that anyone has to follow my example, but it may give some players a starting point.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 6:35 PM Last edited by gazania : 11th Aug 2017 at 9:21 PM.
So pretty! Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

I have a minor qualm about the layout of the rooms in the back. As I see it, you have the office with the door through the parenting room and into the bathroom. There is a door to the bathroom from the showroom. But would that mean going through the bathroom to the parenting room if someone is entering from the showroom,or going through someone's office? Or is that office actually something else, and I'm misreading the layout?

If it's not an office and is a place for customers, that would work. I would hope that people lock doors if they're using the bathroom!

I know I'm having a similar situation with my ... whatever my building is. (I hope to post it in the creator section as well.)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 6:44 PM
Once you download it, the choice is yours to lock specific doors for customers.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 8:21 PM
Thank you, @gazania!

I will look at the doors again - it is true that I just lock doors for customers, and it is not a parenting room, but a kitchen for the business owner to have a sandwich (stove not necessary) and coffee, so only staff in there. It may work better if I remove that door between the kitchen and the bathroom for uploading, so I think I will do that.

Edit : I will have a good think about all the indoor doors
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 9:20 PM
Oh, so I did misread it. It's a break room, not a parenting room.

See how joandsarah77 trained me?

In that case, then, I see no real problems. Oops.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:55 PM
Very pretty, I like it. I wouldn't worry about the price, people who want it cheap will strip it. Is that HW wall outside? Such a pretty colour. You're not the only one including some CC, so am I in my daycare.

Haha gazania, I'm turning you Aussie. (instead of Japanese )

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:17 AM
I know, gazania, I almost felt guilty admitting that it wasn't one

Indeed one of Honeywell's walls Thank you, Jo, good advice!