Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2013 at 1:36 PM
Default The Unfortunate Leftovers...
In my Love family, Karen Love (nee Piccolo) and her husband Matthew Love have three kids, Luke, Brittany, and Emma. I'm not sure if I'll find spouses for all three of them.

So what do you do with the "leftover" sims? Do they live with relatives or alone? Do you keep multiple single sims living together? How do you keep them fun?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th May 2013 at 2:25 PM
I let them live their own lives, either all sharing a house or in separate ones. They might not marry, but they can still contribute to the community and provide fuel for neighbourhood storylines. Each Sim tends naturally to find their own way if I don't force a storyline onto them.
Scholar
#3 Old 18th May 2013 at 2:53 PM
I let them live with relatives or in a house of single sims. Playing with them mostly consists of going to community lots, looking for love! I try to match everyone up with someone, even if they have to wait for one of the younger generations to age up.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2013 at 3:02 PM
Make use of townies and NPCs. When ever I see that some of my sims don't have people for them to be with, among my other playables, then I simply let them socialize with townies (or even NPCs) which they then fall in love with. Since my neighborhood is based on the lives of townies and npcs, if I find a teen, for example, who shares their sir name with two adults, with matching appropriate genetics, I will establish family ties, through mods, and make them playable, put them in a house of their own. Then, one of my original playable teens will socialize with this teen and they fall in love.

Though, sometimes, the townie teens don't have to have parents. In the future, when in college, I will put them townie and the playable in one household.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2013 at 3:49 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the scary stuff that a Sim found in the fridge. XD
Alchemist
#6 Old 18th May 2013 at 5:04 PM
I just move 'em in to some house, and when my player-sim gets to the elder-stage I make the other family members also grow up. When its time to die, its time to die.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th May 2013 at 5:51 PM
I usually get them to live with relatives (mom and dad?) or become roommates with their friends...with whom they may or may not become romantically involved.

In my game it rarely happens that Sims stay single :/

Newbies please click here for information on "Hood Corruption" and here if you are looking for certain objects or mods. You're welcome!

Every time you delete a tombstone a kitten is being taken to Hell. Think of the kittens.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th May 2013 at 6:02 PM
If it's something where I don't really care about them (legacy spares) I dump them in a house and only ever play them to age them with the sim blender so it makes sense family wise.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Forum Resident
#9 Old 18th May 2013 at 6:03 PM
I kill them. I set up a cemetery and its always cool to add new gravestones.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2013 at 7:08 PM
Me too; kill um! Well, not always. But I love big happy families, and toddlers - this has caused all my hood to be overpopulated. Then when they become teens I hate them; when they become adults I have no use for SO MANY, and when they are elders - hurry up and die! Um, quite Freudian, actually.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2013 at 8:11 PM
As there are no leftover people, I have no leftover sims. Everyone has a story. It's my job as player to find it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#12 Old 18th May 2013 at 8:13 PM
None of my Sims ever end up not-coupled. I blame too much Gilbert & Sullivan as a child.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 18th May 2013 at 9:31 PM
I rarely have any sims living alone anymore, so single sims either live with each other, with relatives, or with poor families taking in boarders. If I don't know what to do with a sim at the moment, I temporary turn them into a townie. Once I find something for them to do, I turn them back into a playable and adjust their age. One sim didn't find anyone she really liked, while her roommate was getting married and ready to have a baby. I gave her roommate the house and she became a vampire and then the town's museum curator and used item seller. "Leftover" sims make the game more interesting than just playing with full families.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th May 2013 at 9:41 PM
As I play entire 'hoods rather than individual households I never have any "leftover" sims - no legacy spares, no boring sims I can't be bothered to play, no sims that I have no use for. Everyone gets incorporated into the community in some way. I have some single sims who live alone, others live with one or more other single sims, some live with their parents or with a sibling and the sibling's family or with a friend and the friend's family. Some focus on their careers, some love to date, some throw loads of parties, some like to study, some long to meet that special someone and settle down, some own their own businesses, some work at a sim-owned business, some breed pets, some make craftables and sell them to a local shopkeeper or sell them at the market. So basically they just live their lives according to their LTW, wants, fears, personalities and autonomous behaviour. If I find a sim boring, I try to look at them in a different way - what makes them them? What's special about them? What do they want from their lives? Generally they never stay boring for long! :-)
Theorist
#15 Old 18th May 2013 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by neriana
None of my Sims ever end up not-coupled. I blame too much Gilbert & Sullivan as a child.

No, that can't be it... there is no such thing as too much Gilbert & Sullivan.

Back on topic: I usually play them through to the end of their lives. If I don't find them interesting, then they simply don't have any children. Also, I practice intermarriage population control, so there aren't as many "leftovers" as there might otherwise be.

Once, though, when I had only just started playing, I did give one of my sims "stomach cancer" (aka food poisoning) and I let her die from it. But it took days, and I felt horrible afterwards so I never did it again.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Theorist
#16 Old 19th May 2013 at 1:03 AM
Single Sims in my town either get to enjoy living life as a single, become live in nannies or housekeepers/cooks for wealthy families, or get a roommate.

They are really no different than any other Sims. I don't like all of my Sims to be in relationships, as it's more realistic that way. Life doesn't cease, just because one is single.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th May 2013 at 1:11 AM
The title sounds like the thread was going to be about Sim food left overs that got stuck some how.

I play rotations, so I work born in game kids into a college rotation, and when they graduate from college I work them into the neighborhood rotation. That is how I don't have "left over" Sims. Everyone gets played from birth to death to keep aging and family trees consistent.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th May 2013 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
Single Sims in my town either get to enjoy living life as a single, become live in nannies or housekeepers/cooks for wealthy families, or get a roommate.

They are really no different than any other Sims. I don't like all of my Sims to be in relationships, as it's more realistic that way. Life doesn't cease, just because one is single.

Ooh how do you make a Sim a live-in housekeeper?
Do you mean the DMA Sims or do you just have them live there as a playable?
Theorist
#19 Old 19th May 2013 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RahRahReplica
Ooh how do you make a Sim a live-in housekeeper?
Do you mean the DMA Sims or do you just have them live there as a playable?

Just as a playable.

It's actually adds quite a bit of entertainment, as sometimes the help becomes more than just that (blame ACR). Other times, they end up doing such a great job, they get the benefit of going on vacations with the family they work for (where they are free to have fun).

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th May 2013 at 4:51 AM
All of my sims get played in strict rotation, and if they are meant to be married, they'll eventually find it, even if they have to marry a townie. Though I prefer they marry my playable sims first as a method of population control.

Those that choose not to be married usually have a story line to it:
-Those who aspire to criminal careers can join the mob that resides in the downtown - the more there are, the more "influence" they have in the town.
-Some live in a convent or monastery and choose to be unwed
- A lot of them just stay with parents or a sibling to help out
- Some choose to be housekeepers for wealthier families. (It's a sign of a well social status in my game to have a live in housekeeper for the family, and the housekeepers are typically treated very well).
- Those looking for love usually move to a singles community where their changes of meeting other single playables will be higher.
- Some of them just have miscellaneous reasons to be shut in: A painter focused on his work, a video game geek who prefers his games to friends, an evil scientist intent on destroying his community
- A few run some kind of home "business" - one runs an adoption agency, and a there are a few dog/cat breeders
- And of course, there are some that just prefer fooling around instead.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th May 2013 at 2:26 PM
If a Sims ends up single, they end up single. Not the end of the world (unless they're a family sim and then they generally age up unhappy and don't live for long as an elder). I never marry them to townies because I want to control the population and keep my surnames going. I usually find something for them to do - for example Angela Pleasant was left alone after Dirk Dreamer died and hasn't found anyone since. She does however have a very successful sports career. Paris Sedgwick was totally single and was always throwing parties, which was very beneficial to the friend count of all the people she invited.
I like some single sims in my game anyway because their rotations are much quicker than households with a lot of sims.
Alchemist
#22 Old 19th May 2013 at 2:37 PM
Ah, leftover Sims... This is one reason why I like The Sims 3, just move them out and let the story progression do the trick. Don't get me wrong though, I still generally prefer TS2, and I only like TS3 because of some aspects, like traits and story progression.

But since TS2 is easier to handle the whole family, I never let any leftover Sims. Every family eventually had unique story of their own. I played rotations, but not always consistent.
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 19th May 2013 at 5:06 PM
Why are Sims that choose to be single "leftover?" Why must they be doomed to an existence of living with/serving others, especially their parents, for God's sake? Hell, my singles are some of my faves. They live in fab loft apartments downtown and have a fabulous career and/or social life, constantly going on dates/outings or just visiting community lots by themselves to be social, and they're quite happy not to be saddled with a spouse and babies, thanks. And I enjoy playing them as a change of pace from the larger families I play. In fact, when one of them rolls a marriage want, I'm like, "TRAITOR!"

Of course, some of them are also hermits, usually of the self-sufficient kind, growing their own food, generating their own power, etc.. Essentially, they live "off the grid" in one of my ag sub-neighborhoods. The have a dog or a cat or both or multiples of both for company and they're quite happy never to see another Sim ever again. Those are fun, too.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 19th May 2013 at 6:20 PM
My sims are immortals. They have a grave site special where they can be frozen in time like Lestat. If someone wants they can wake an ancient from the "dead." If I have no use for them they sleep until needed. If they do not want to go to their sleep but walk the earth then they wait for the college students to graduate and pick a mate from them. How do I keep from getting bored of this game? Recolor items. I am happy now I have a pattern with finally own all EP SP it makes TS2 not so bored. Pattern is based on Seasons so I play a house to the next season then switch to next house.

Meantime I watch for mmorpg I like to come along. I want to play Skyrim Online when it gets done being made.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 19th May 2013 at 6:30 PM
It'd be less boring if your sims weren't immortal.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Page 1 of 2