Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 8:47 PM
Default Downloading CC from people who use Adfly...
So I've been trying to download multiple custom clothes from creators who place their download links after adfly pages, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get past them. I have AdBlock Plus as well as an Adfly skipper enabled, but for certain links they just don't work. For the most recent one I've been trying to download, I still get sent to Adfly even with the skipper enabled, and then I get a message that commands me to disable my AdBlock without letting me continue. I disable it and refresh the page, and I still get the message. And then I try using a different browser with no extensions, and I still get it.

And not only that, but I've had cases where the adfly skipper brought me to pages that were black and had no content on them (it happens when I disable it too). Does anyone know how to bypass this? I'm trying to get meshes for recolors I've downloaded but at this rate I don't think I'll be able to.

Also, I can't be the only one who is fucking sick of creators using Adfly and forcing people to go through it. Is messing up my computer and making it near impossible to get the content they made really worth that 5 cents they make from it...

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
So I've been trying to download multiple custom clothes from creators who place their download links after adfly pages, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get past them. I have AdBlock Plus as well as an Adfly skipper enabled, but for certain links they just don't work. For the most recent one I've been trying to download, I still get sent to Adfly even with the skipper enabled, and then I get a message that commands me to disable my AdBlock without letting me continue. I disable it and refresh the page, and I still get the message. And then I try using a different browser with no extensions, and I still get it.

And not only that, but I've had cases where the adfly skipper brought me to pages that were black and had no content on them (it happens when I disable it too). Does anyone know how to bypass this? I'm trying to get meshes for recolors I've downloaded but at this rate I don't think I'll be able to.

Also, I can't be the only one who is fucking sick of creators using Adfly and forcing people to go through it. Is messing up my computer and making it near impossible to get the content they made really worth that 5 cents they make from it...

I find that Link Expander can decrypt most AdFly links (I've had the site lock up on me a few times though) and if that fails I use this one: http://adf.boxxod.net/. If neither of those work, then it's something I didn't really need in the first place.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 9:29 PM
I'd personally opt, but that's probably not the "proper" way to go, to send the creator a passive-if-not-aggressive message telling them how and why I will do my part in making sure that their decision to use AdFly will negatively benefit them, and that I would go out of my way to make sure that people don't download from them.
(And I believe there's a number of blogs, at least on Tumblr, that reupload CC from creators that use AdFly. I don't know if there's any naming and shaming involved, but I'd prefer it that way.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 9:39 PM Last edited by Averex : 14th Sep 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I find that Link Expander can decrypt most AdFly links (I've had the site lock up on me a few times though) and if that fails I use this one: http://adf.boxxod.net/. If neither of those work, then it's something I didn't really need in the first place.

Neither worked for the one I'm trying to access. The first site just sent me back to the Adfly page I can't get past and the second uncovered some link that took me to a blank page when I clicked it. I'm not sure what's going on with it. I'm just wondering how the person who made the recolor I downloaded managed to get ahold of it.

EDIT: I see that the Disagree Fairy is upon us once more

My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#5 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 9:09 AM
I've noticed when I have more than one adfly link open at once neither of them are skipped.
But if I open one, get the download and exit the tab then open the second it works properly.
Adfly skipper doesn't work for short.est links. Which is the only shortener I've seen that tells you to get rid of Adblock before allowing you access to the download.
I think there's an extension for that one too but I can't check atm.

FOR THE HORDE
Inventor
#6 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 9:56 AM
You can open and get shortened only one adlfy link per 5 seconds, otherwise second link will not be skipped and you'll have to wait. It's better to download one by one.
Theorist
#7 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 1:00 PM

I guess the Disagree Fairy uses Adfly :x

I've found myself that some adfly links are just inherently broken and no amount of skipping, disabling or extending is going to get you through to the download at the other end. Trying to get the messy toddler hair from sulsul was a goddamn nightmare. Sometimes even your antivirus will block some adfly links from going through if you have web protection on. x.x
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 1:37 PM
download AdF.ly Skipper

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Theorist
#9 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim
download AdF.ly Skipper

If that was @me then I already use it. There are still broken Adfly links out there. If that was @OP, they already mentioned they use it like 4 times in their original post :\
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 2:47 PM
I have pretty much gotten to the point that if I see adf.ly I just don't need it that bad. Maybe if enough people stop D/L from sites that use maybe the site operator will quit using it. I know that Is a pipe dream, but I can hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I guess the Disagree Fairy uses Adfly :x

Remember, the Disagree Fairy is the one who hangs your toilet paper the wrong way around. The Disagree Fairy is he who takes a carton of milk from one shelf, and puts it back in another. The Disagree Fairy is the embodiment of our resentment.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#12 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 8:18 PM
Neither worked for the one I'm trying to access. The first site just sent me back to the Adfly page I can't get past and the second uncovered some link that took me to a blank page when I clicked it. I'm not sure what's going on with it. I'm just wondering how the person who made the recolor I downloaded managed to get ahold of it.

You have to clear cache in the browser, then it will work. It's a good think to remember if simply reloading a page doesn't solve the problem, then cache is most likely the culprit. Sometimes clicking backwards in the browser might help aswell. This is what I do most of the time I try to get past one of those annoying pages - I click on the download link, get an ad page, I click backwards, get the download page, click download, backwards, downloads etc. until the download actually downloads. lmao

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 8:25 PM
The Disagree Enemy is not your friend. The Disagree Fairy is your enemy. The Disagree Fairy, of course, disagrees. But the Disagree Fairy is also a fairy, and fairies aren't real. So we don't care what they think.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
You have to clear cache in the browser, then it will work. It's a good think to remember if simply reloading a page doesn't solve the problem, then cache is most likely the culprit. Sometimes clicking backwards in the browser might help aswell. This is what I do most of the time I try to get past one of those annoying pages - I click on the download link, get an ad page, I click backwards, get the download page, click download, backwards, downloads etc. until the download actually downloads. lmao

It didn't work :\

My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#15 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 9:42 PM
It didn't work :\

That 's weird. It could be alot of things. It's hard to know without seeing your setup and how it looks for you.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 10:19 PM
I refuse to ever download from creators using adfly for all the usual reasons and I am not into downloading a bunch of 3rd party apps to bypass it either. Totally not worth it.

Having said that, if you are on a windows machine, you may want to delete the garbage out of your %temp% folder. Sketchy adfly type sites sometimes like to stick their crap in there for "convenience" reasons, especially if you are downloading something. Start button > search the string '%temp%' - when it pops up, delete all the files in that folder and reboot your machine. If that doesn't work, you may have to mess with reinstalling/refreshing your browser. Good luck.

Edit: I wanted to clarify - search the string '%temp%' without the ' ticks '.
Scholar
#17 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 4:50 AM
The disagree fairy squeezes toothpaste from the middle of the tube.

Adfly is pure evil. Can't begin to tell you how many times my anti-virus program blogged malicious shit from being installed from that garbage! Ugh but some of my favorite stuff came from creators who use adfly.
Scholar
#18 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:57 PM
Are people still actively using it? Ive come across older cc with it attached but for the most part it looks like people are making an effort to move their stuff else where.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
The disagree fairy squeezes toothpaste from the middle of the tube.

Is it telling that I don't know what you mean by that?

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Are people still actively using it?

Unfortunately. Some of the creators act very entitled about it and say that people who don't like getting sketchy shit from them should just either deal with it or fuck off. MAC Cosimetics is one of them. I love their custom makeup, but I guess their site recently got taken down due to people complaining about the forced Adfly, and I saw them on YouTube bitching about it:
Quote:
Apparently someone "reported" the site for the use of Adfly and claimed they got a virus. I'm pretty frustrated over the matter, but I'm doing the best I can to get it resolved. No one has ever gotten a virus from any of my creations and so I feel like its a troll who just wanted to report me, unless wix and that reporter, can provide proof.

Like, come on. Saying Adfly gave you a virus isn't exactly telling tall tales.

I'm just really sick of all these creators who demand we use Adfly or get bloated with ads so that they can make money off of what is really a hobby. Marigold's site (one of the sites I'm trying to get a mesh from but can't) nags me to disable my AdBlock every 5 seconds (not even joking, I timed it), and continues to do so after I disabled it to shut it up. AND they use Adfly in a manner that makes it so my extensions can't seem to work around it (at least not on the item I want).

My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:10 PM
I'm just really sick of all these creators who demand we use Adfly or get bloated with ads so that they can make money off of what is really a hobby. Marigold's site (one of the sites I'm trying to get a mesh from but can't) nags me to disable my AdBlock every 5 seconds (not even joking, I timed it), and continues to do so after I disabled it to shut it up. AND they use Adfly in a manner that makes it so my extensions can't seem to work around it (at least not on the item I want).

I visited a creator's site once that had one of those ad block blockers that forces you to disable your ad blocker. So I fiddled around with my ad block blocker blocker until it went away, but then it came back 5 seconds later. It was at this point that I decided this creator could go fuck a rake.

Man, I can't wait for ad block blocker blocker blockers to become a thing so we can all start using ad block blocker blocker blocker blockers.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:25 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Sep 2017 at 9:41 PM.
I've kept my computer free of viruses so far, and prefer to keep it that way. I've got Adblock, some adfly skipers, and various other things enabled, so I usually manage to get around adfly links somehow - but there are a few that just won't work. I use the Boxxod page for most adfly links, to completely circumvent adfly (I now refuse to even click on those pesky things).

I've never felt bad for using those add-ons and sites, even if I know some sites are dependent on ads. I use them to protect my computers, and so far it's worked quite well. I've come across some suspicious and/or very annoying ads on seemingly safe sites, so I haven't whitelisted anything (not even my own website...).

Voluntary donations is a much better way to go about if people need to keep their sites running. Adfly and anything potentially harmful, along with donation/pay/exclusive items have always made me very annoyed whenever I see them. I get that the web has become the new moneymaker platform, but still. Most of us offer CC for free without wrapping the links in pesky extra links, and without expecting money for it. This especially angers me when they're using free sites like Simfileshare and Tumblr, where you can easily make an account you don't have to pay anything for to keep up. Pretty sure Blogspot and Wix are mostly free sites as well, so the only reason they are using adfly must be to make money. I am however okay with adfly as long as a non-adfly link is also provided, since it gives people the choice.

Some of them (often adfly and Patreon users) make items that use existing designs from real life, and I'm not entirely sure if it's right that they earn money on something someone else designed (particularly those who complain that "but some other simmer stole our designs and offered it for free, boohoo!!!" when both parties most likely found the design via a simple Google search) - but I must admit my knowledge on this is rusty. Offering such items for free wouldn't be that big of a deal, I can imagine.
Scholar
#23 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:28 PM
Unfortunately. Some of the creators act very entitled about it and say that people who don't like getting sketchy shit from them should just either deal with it or fuck off. MAC Cosimetics is one of them. I love their custom makeup, but I guess their site recently got taken down due to people complaining about the forced Adfly, and I saw them on YouTube bitching about it:

Like, come on. Saying Adfly gave you a virus isn't exactly telling tall tales.

Oh wow, I was using my knowledge with sims3 cc but I can imagine these creators who may be younger and have only ever experienced sims 4 (for the most part) being a little colder to some extent. Not to judge anyone in that demographic but... yeah
Mad Poster
#24 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Oh wow, I was using my knowledge with sims3 cc but I can imagine these creators who may be younger and have only ever experienced sims 4 (for the most part) being a little colder to some extent. Not to judge anyone in that demographic but... yeah

Not to judge? I can't think of any demographic I'd judge harder.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#25 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:44 PM
^Adfly seems to be mainly a TS3 and TS4 thing. Nowadays you an practically live on making blogs with advertising of various kinds, so I'm not surprised. I've only seen a very small number of TS2 downloads wrapped in adfly links, and it's been a while since last time. I guess the 'TS2 generation' got so tired of pay/donation sites most of us offer our downloads for free.
Page 1 of 3