Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 12:57 PM
what activities does make you keep on playing sims
As the title said. I'm so burned from playing sims. No wonder how many EPs, GPs, SPs, ""fulfilling your sims' needs - earn simoleons - get married - getting slot A to slot B - repeat"" is the only gameplay I have ever had. I'm not interested with the challenges (like legacy or disney thing) and supernaturals (but I'm okay with vampires) because they are just ridiculous IMO.

Basically I'm not asking for 'fun things to do', by the way. Just curious what do you guys do in sims? What makes you keep on playing it?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 1:04 PM
What I do in the sims? Cry and wonder why I even bother spending money anymore. :\

What makes me keep playing? Hope.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
What I do in the sims? Cry and wonder why I even bother spending money anymore. :\

What makes me keep playing? Hope.

I feel your depression and optimism, my man *hug
Scholar
#4 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 2:04 PM
If you could actually make a foot print in the sims 4 rather than playing dollhouse till everyone dies I think I would really enjoy cooking, gardening again and the yoga feature. All that together would make a really nice eco-community... cooking for neighbors and like inviting them over rather than them just showing up and using your bathroom.

Sure would be great if that was possible.
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 2:37 PM
For me the correct question would be what immersion breaking bugs or features that pops up and destroys any chance I have of enjoying the game. And I've been trying, oh man have I been trying.
If it weren't for that I'd enjoy playing families, leveling up skills, watch sims shower, sleep and all that good stuff. The sims as a concept is pretty repetitive, it just needs to have the payoff where you feel connected to the sims you play and they feel unique.
If they fixed most of the bugs and added wants/fears I'd be pretty much on board with this game.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Scholar
#6 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 4:30 PM
My favourite task in TS4 is keep fulfilling in their wishes and dreams, then spend their hard earned reward points on new unique traits, that no other sim has got.

What makes me comeback, idk I just do, you never know what unexpected drama is around the corner, and if I don't play I'll never know!
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
What makes you keep on playing it?

WickedWhims, really. Even then, that's getting old.

I also like building houses based on ones I see on Google Maps. But no real reason to play said houses after built.
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
What I do in the sims? Cry and wonder why I even bother spending money anymore.

Me, I've never spent a single penny after I got the base game.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 4:42 PM
Sims 3 always lured me back because there was always content I never played or discovered before (e.g. I finished "discover all 6 tombs" last year for the first time).

But Sims 4... is difficult. Like once or twice a year I'll play for a week or two and I realize that there still isn't any new content that could entertain me for more than a few hours. So I usually end up playing because I find a cool mod or because I have hope that a new pack will be interesting. But no, it isn't - Same handful of traits, same aspirations that are way too easy, same jobs, same deaths. Maybe one or two new things like club system or vampires, but I usually get bored by it really soon.

TL;DR Basically agree with some other posters here - Hope brings me back
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 5:09 PM
Just to check what I can recreate from there into TS2. May as well rebuild San Myshuno while I'm at it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 5:13 PM
Fulfilling build/buy content.

By that I mean architectural styles, broad/dyanamic furniture styles, and build tools.

We're on the 4th generation, and we're stuck with the basic, old staircase. On top of that, they haven't done a thing to it - it doesn't even rotate into different shapes with various landings - which would be the absolute best. Stair aren't even the correct pitch. Elevators got botched, so there's no hope for that.

It's almost time for the 4th expansion pack pack after 3 or 4 years, and we're finally getting better roofing, and not much else. There's no point in sticking around.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#11 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 6:04 PM Last edited by Deestar : 19th Sep 2017 at 3:24 AM.
Honestly sticking to Sims 2 and 3.. even after years of playing there is always something new to discover... With TS4 while the toddlers are the best toddlers they've ever done --- not much to hold me to the game at all. It really lacks the joy-- that 1-3 had for me...
Forum Resident
#12 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 7:17 PM
I don't. I go through periods of intense play and then don't play for months. I think I've only played once this year that was when parenthood dropped. I don't plan to pick it up again until Pets and Laundry SP drop. That'll probably give me another few months of play before I quit again. TS4 is just a pick it up game and therefore you don't really get fully invested in playing. I play one save and that's it. I just play the families that I desire there. I don't think much about rotation or anything else because continuity doesn't exist in TS4. Since time doesn't stand still even if people aren't aging it makes no sense for me to worry about keeping families on the same time schedule. So I just do as I desire and play with long lifespans. I really love vampires so they have taken over part of my neighborhood lol. Newcrest is basically a vampire haven and is constantly in darkness.

So my suggestion is once you realize it is just a game you pick up it becomes a lot easier to like it. I wish it was more like TS2 where I could play all the time without feeling bored, but it just isn't. I have a medieval neighborhood in TS2 that I play frequently and with a lot of the keep's content I feel pretty satisfied.

Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
For me the correct question would be what immersion breaking bugs or features that pops up and destroys any chance I have of enjoying the game. And I've been trying, oh man have I been trying.
If it weren't for that I'd enjoy playing families, leveling up skills, watch sims shower, sleep and all that good stuff. The sims as a concept is pretty repetitive, it just needs to have the payoff where you feel connected to the sims you play and they feel unique.
If they fixed most of the bugs and added wants/fears I'd be pretty much on board with this game.

I'd also add if they fixed traits and made them mean more or gave us more traits. One of the many lacking aspects of TS4 is feeling like every sim is the same. I've resorted to making my own traits to keep things more interesting. Those traits have very strong "buffs" so if they make a sim angry, depressed, or uncomfortable they REALLY are. Then I combine mods that make it harder for those emotions to go away, it really makes things a little more fun especially when I have a sim whose been angry at something rather silly for an entire day.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
As the title said. I'm so burned from playing sims. No wonder how many EPs, GPs, SPs, ""fulfilling your sims' needs - earn simoleons - get married - getting slot A to slot B - repeat"" is the only gameplay I have ever had. I'm not interested with the challenges (like legacy or disney thing) and supernaturals (but I'm okay with vampires) because they are just ridiculous IMO.

Basically I'm not asking for 'fun things to do', by the way. Just curious what do you guys do in sims? What makes you keep on playing it?

I think the worse thing they did to this franchise is give them emotions and give you the chance to decide what Sims personalities will be. I had more fun and my Sims had more personality in 2 with the zodiac sign being their source of personality. Oh let's tell them how to feel and what to think but add nothing to facilitate alot of those emotions....no bed cuddlings, no slow dancing, no slap on the ass.....everybody just dip kiss and bang.....They cartoon fight, then talk like old buddies right after.

If it wasn't for the top modders around here and other sites, I'd go back to 2 and stay there
Theorist
#14 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DakMamba88
no bed cuddlings

Right? Why are the freaking bed sheets glued down to the centre of the bed?! WTF were they trying to accomplish?!
If I want a mod to fix anything, it's this. What a horrible visual made worse by the fact that super speed doesn't work to be able to zoom through and ignore it. :\
Instructor
#15 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 11:33 PM
One word: Experiments. He-he-he *evil laugh*
Scholar
#16 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mimoliin

YES. I've got a scientist sim who has usually got sims locked in cells in his basement, a basement that only he can access. He gives them serums, has them in living conditions that are not ideal. At one point, he had two clones (Always clones) one was a Romance Sim the other Unflirty and Non-Committal and I tried as I may to force them together. When the Scientist sim became pregnant by abduction for the third time, I had to move them out into their own dwelling, but I'm continuing their story. Oddly, when he lived in the basement, he could flirt normally, now that he lives in a house with her, all of his flirts are awkward unflirty flirts. Glitch? Anyway, they are exclusive now although not married yet.

I always end up releasing 'guinea pig' sims, I'm too nice, I guess, to kill sims in this game...

Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
My favourite task in TS4 is keep fulfilling in their wishes and dreams, then spend their hard earned reward points on new unique traits, that no other sim has got.

What makes me comeback, idk I just do, you never know what unexpected drama is around the corner, and if I don't play I'll never know!

Yeah. One of my original sims still hasn't completed ALL of his skills, I won't rest until he's finished all his skills. Ive completed multiple aspirations with him as well, more than any other sim. I love that aspirations are changeable and you don't lose progress, AND you can have more than one in a lifetime. I'm also pretty darn attached to my sims *cough* so it brings me back all the time...and because I have so many beloved families I never get bored, and if I do I just move on to the next family and their challenges. Do I want more activities and content? ABSOLUTELY.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 12:50 AM
I tend to play when inspired with some idea - a character or situation I want to try, or a time period (I haven't tried modding S4 this way) or a type of building. Sometimes, something someone else has done in their game will inspire me or I will become curious about something and wonder if it's possible to do or how far one can go with game mechanics. But if I play too much, I do get burned out. When that happens, I stop playing and do something else or even play a different game. It's like getting full - you stop eating. Or maybe you're sick of eating peanut butter, so you try something different for lunch. After a while, I'll get the siren call and return to playing.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mimoliin

I would sign a petition to 'stop sims abuse'

Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I tend to play when inspired with some idea - a character or situation I want to try, or a time period (I haven't tried modding S4 this way) or a type of building. Sometimes, something someone else has done in their game will inspire me or I will become curious about something and wonder if it's possible to do or how far one can go with game mechanics. But if I play too much, I do get burned out. When that happens, I stop playing and do something else or even play a different game. It's like getting full - you stop eating. Or maybe you're sick of eating peanut butter, so you try something different for lunch. After a while, I'll get the siren call and return to playing.

yes, this is me. But this time, I feel like I have tried everything in sims games. I have made my sims to become space ranger, doctor, mad scientist, fulfilling their wishes... everything. I just don't know what else to do besides taking care of their needs.
Scholar
#19 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 11:23 AM
I've been trying to play S4 with different time periods (am on Edwardian now) and still find myself closing down the game after a couple of hours. I am trying my best to give it a proper chance - and have been since 2014 - but find myself going back to TS3 and TS2 if I want longer, more in-depth gameplay (especially if I want to play a medieval neighbourhood). So, S4 is lacking in most things for me - still hoping it might get better but that hope dwindles ever smaller with each crappy, shallow and empty-headed piece of DLC they release - of which I stopped buying after the vampire pack.

...Titanium white...
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 7:36 AM Last edited by daisylee : 20th Sep 2017 at 9:07 AM.
I am patching. I am not sure why as I probably have not opened 4 since April. I like the new windows. I probably will check them out in the game and then go right back to 3.

edit: patched, opened game, looked at windows and a few other items, thought this all looks soooooooooooo fake, closed game.