Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#5501 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 6:13 AM
I was curious as to whether I could use the InSim's 'set ghost flags' to make a playable psuedo-ghost, so I saved and then set them on a Sim. She just ended up fading away and everyone got memories of her dying. Dang.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Scholar
#5502 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 6:30 AM
Aw, that sucks. Do you know what kind of ghost she was? Just curious.
Mad Poster
#5503 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 6:52 AM
Nope, she just faded away and I got the 'Sim has died on another lot...' message. I reloaded and she was alive. I just thought it'd be cool if I could make a Sim that looked like a ghost and yet was fully playable.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5504 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 11:57 AM
Last night, as I was playing in a lot with this download, one of the pixels was seen praying to this item.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=210809
He must have really heard from someone from above because a bolt of lightning jumped out of it, striking him and turning him into a pile of ashes!
I thought he was dead (never known to happen on a community lot) but in the next second, he reassembled back into human form from the hit.

I was completely flabbergasted-I have never seen such an event-evidently he was cursing a bit too hard and someone 'upstairs' took great exception to it.
Absolutely amazing.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#5505 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 7:33 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 27th Mar 2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added a link to a picture
Not long ago, I added the following line to my userstartup.cheat file

intprop maxNumOfVisitingSims 30

I also have used Pescado's nossrespawn mod for several years (bold and italics are mine):
Quote: Originally posted by Pescado
Eliminates re-spawning of Secret Society members. Secret Society members should not be spawned to replace ones you happen to kill for whatever reason, except as a very last resort of total desperation (which should be near-impossible, but is there just in case), in which it will create one member. If there are not enough SS members, when the game attempts to generate one, it will, instead of generating a new NPC, induct a YA townie instead, and use him. The game will also not insist on generating more to fill max visitor count when you are abducted (IF you still are abducted: should theoretically work with no-abduct). Therefore, if there is no SS townie, the game will first attempt to create one by promoting an existing YA townie. If it cannot, it will only create one if there is not even a single available member to perform the initiation ceremony. If for some reason your university has a dormie population of zero, don't kill this last guy.

So, last night when I visited a Secret Society lot for the first time since adding the intprop cheat - there were THIRTY DORMIES there! The game had drafted nearly ALL of the dormies into the Secret Society!

Needless to say, the lot lagged like a slideshow and Lucy Burb went back to her dorm as quickly as she could. I spent quite some time hunting down all the dormies who didn't belong and revoking their memberships (enable testingcheats > Shift + click on sim > "Remove from secret society").

Lesson learned - DISABLE the intprop cheat before playing any University campuses if there's even the slightest chance that one of the sims will visit the Secret Society. (I have no idea what would have happened without nossrespawn - 30 new dormies maybe?)

EDIT: I posted a screenshot in the Bloopers thread
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...387#post5367387

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my second Learning Experience of the Day, I reloaded the game and attempted to send Lucy to a secret hobby lot, but the hobby lot loaded in Buy/Build mode. Hobby lots aren't a huge priority with me, but I wanted to find out what was causing the problem in case it affected something that is important. I then attempted to add Desiderata Valley to Testing Town to run some hobby lot tests, but the sub-hood loaded with all the playable households missing. Panic time!

It turned out that I had opened a Pleasantview dormie's file in SimPE to see if I could find where the Secret Society information is and then forgot to close SimPE before running the game again. Naturally, since several files were "in use" by SimPE, the game couldn't access them properly. I think my brain has shut down for the weekend.
Scholar
#5506 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 9:56 PM
If the Visitor Controller is set to bar a specific Sim from the lot, and that Sim is furious with the resident Sim, he will still turn up and stand there cackling for a moment, then disappear in a box of blue light. If the resident Sim is at work and the lot is running on triple speed, it creates a great will o' the wisp effect as the banned visitor keeps arriving and being removed.

I also learned that if you move a grave, the family will not only mourn, but will also start rolling wants to resurrect the dead Sim. This made things a bit awkward, as I'd moved Darlene Dreamer's grave so she wouldn't be jealous of Cassandra, and now all Darren wants to do is resurrect his first wife, when he should be proposing to his second!
Mad Poster
#5507 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 2:36 AM
@BlueAlien - that sort of thing doesn't happen if you have a Sim stick the grave in their inventory and then carry it to the graveyard. I have a Gravekeeper sim to actually take it home a few days to let the ghosts spawn before bringing them to the graveyard.

Test Subject
#5508 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 6:00 PM

My Sim decided to observe this decoration object and IT MOVED AND MADE A NOISE!!!!!! It scared the frick out of me (and my Sim). I tried making it happen again so I could take a picture but I couldn't. It raised its arms, made a noise and scared my Sim, making him laugh afterwards. Very cool!
Scholar
#5509 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
@BlueAlien - that sort of thing doesn't happen if you have a Sim stick the grave in their inventory and then carry it to the graveyard. I have a Gravekeeper sim to actually take it home a few days to let the ghosts spawn before bringing them to the graveyard.

That would explain why I only just discovered it. I used to have Sims carry the graves around, but then for some reason I got worried that putting graves in inventory might cause corruption, so started telling them to send the grave to the new graveyard instead. If the old way is safe, I think I'll go back to it unless I actually want the Sims to see the ghost waving goodbye.
Scholar
#5510 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 6:40 PM
Carrying graves in your inventory in an unmodded game is only unsafe if your Sim dies-- then, the grave is deleted, and it'll unlink the sim, which is only a problem without nounlinkondelete.
Forum Resident
#5511 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 10:25 PM
I just discovered the Spooky set from the TS2 Store is supposed to contain a unique flower bed in Build Mode. All these years...and I never realised I was missing anything.
Instructor
#5512 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorsal Axe
I just discovered the Spooky set from the TS2 Store is supposed to contain a unique flower bed in Build Mode. All these years...and I never realised I was missing anything.

Me too! I just realized this only a few weeks ago. And there's a great stone bench and a new garden gnome included in Mansions & Gardens that I didn't have downloaded either.
Mad Poster
#5513 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:27 AM
I discovered that, without a mod, it's impossible to burn a Baked Alaska in the oven. Even if a cloud of black smoke comes out of the oven (or it catches fire) the Alaska itself will be perfectly unburned. There's a mod to fix it here.

Second is that the baked alaska in the game is actually more likely a bombe Alaska based on the description of flambeing it.

Third is that Plumb Bob Keep's robots.txt prevents Google from indexing it and making it harder to find things on that site.

Mad Poster
#5514 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I discovered that, without a mod, it's impossible to burn a Baked Alaska in the oven. Even if a cloud of black smoke comes out of the oven (or it catches fire) the Alaska itself will be perfectly unburned.

Maybe because it just makes no sense?..Who would put ice cream on a cake before putting it in the oven anyway.
I never saw burnt ice cream standing perfectly on a cake.The burnt state makes no sense whatsoever.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#5515 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:24 AM
Baked Alasca has a layer of meringue, and that's the cooking part. I think it's meant to be in the oven only a short time (or you can use a burner of some sort to darken the meringue). It could probably get burned if you left it under head (either way) for too long.
Burner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyvqGvcjhOU
Oven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrb3rGe5f_g

Sims can do the whole alcohol/mystery fluid + set fire to the cake. I've done it once, though I can't remember what you do to make them go through this. Maybe it's as simple as "serve".
Mad Poster
#5516 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:26 AM
@Rosebine - but Maxis included a burnt state for the Alaska, the BHAV was set to clear the burnt flag rather than set it.

Mad Poster
#5517 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
That would explain why I only just discovered it. I used to have Sims carry the graves around, but then for some reason I got worried that putting graves in inventory might cause corruption, so started telling them to send the grave to the new graveyard instead. If the old way is safe, I think I'll go back to it unless I actually want the Sims to see the ghost waving goodbye.

The ghost waves goodbye?
Scholar
#5518 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 3:33 AM
When you send a ghost to a community lot, it stands there and waves goodbye before disappearing.
Mad Poster
#5519 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 4:27 AM
I'm sad to report that the settings for authorized_personnel_only don't save after exiting a community lot.

Lab Assistant
#5520 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 5:49 PM
I discovered that Sims can be invited over through the "Chat with..." option on the computer. I was not expecting a prompt asking if I wanted to invite someone over while my Sim was tapping away on her keyboard.
Forum Resident
#5521 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 6:36 PM
So it turns out the Classical station was originally planned for the base game, and this little beauty on the left here has been sitting in the game's files all along:
Field Researcher
#5522 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorsal Axe
So it turns out the Classical station was originally planned for the base game, and this little beauty on the left here has been sitting in the game's files all along:

Again found in the game files in working condition? The speaker looks good.
Forum Resident
#5523 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 8:03 PM
I found the mesh and texture, but there was no object data for it so I made a default replacement for the NL speaker. The texture could do with some improvement...looks more like rust than wood when zoomed in, but the mesh is awesome. A real shame that Maxis never reused it for NL. I want to repurpose the old design as a jazz speaker, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change which radio station it plays in the BHAV.
Link Ninja
#5524 Old 28th Mar 2018 at 5:59 PM
I learned this a few weeks ago but thought of it right now. I'm woefully behind on exploring business mechanics from OFB and I just found out that not only can your sim 'suggest' an outfit if they have a clothing rack set for sale, but then the sim buys that outfit and immediately changes into it upon leaving. This lack of knowledge was perhaps how I didn't understand for the longest time there was a vanilla way to get townies into different duds.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#5525 Old 28th Mar 2018 at 10:47 PM
During an extended 'move in-move out' playing scenario, I found out that Monique's computer enables the owner of a lot to send money directly to a pixel in the sim bin! I had several pixels who were short of funds to buy a house, and they had to call up their girlfriends to get extra money. Said girlfriends sent money via "Transmit funds" and they were able to buy the home of their dreams!
This is useful information for future use-not only can you use it for sims in the bin, it can also send money directly to household funds. No more checks or money orders are required now!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 221 of 445