Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#526 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I bought a physical game. If I look back I think it might have been around 2011 and even then I ordered the physical disc from Amazon.

God, no wonder game stores are dying off.

Sadly it's not even just games now, lots of retail stores are going out of business because they can't compete with the internet. R.I.P. Blockbuster, soon to be R.I.P RadioShack (never shopped there but they're closing 100's of stores this year, all 6 in my state are shutting down), and Sears may R.I.P. in the next 5 years.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#527 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:14 PM
I'm guessing TS5 wont have a retail expansion pack...

*Clicks on the phone icon*
*Clicks on the (Shop Online) button*

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#528 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I'm guessing TS5 wont have a retail expansion pack...

*Clicks on the phone icon*
*Clicks on the (Shop Online) button*

TS5 won't even have an online version because there won't be one
Mad Poster
#529 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 2:05 PM

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#530 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Sadly it's not even just games now, lots of retail stores are going out of business because they can't compete with the internet. R.I.P. Blockbuster, soon to be R.I.P RadioShack (never shopped there but they're closing 100's of stores this year, all 6 in my state are shutting down), and Sears may R.I.P. in the next 5 years.

How can physical shops compete when companies like amazon can offer things for cheaper through tax loopholes and through paying their staff the bare minimum to work 10+ hour shifts in miserable conditions.

*cough*

But yeah, you can really see the shift that the internet has made when it comes to businesses. Even just a couple of years ago if I wanted to buy a game online I'd have to still wait a week for the disc(s) to arrive. Now I can just hop on Steam/Origin/GOG/Humble and, depending on how my internet wants to be today, I can have it installed and ready to play within an hour. The only thing I absolutely need to leave my home to buy is food now. And even then...
Mad Poster
#531 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 6:39 PM
The food replicator - that's what we're waiting for. Actually, I'm waiting for the holodeck and it's just about here.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#532 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
The food replicator - that's what we're waiting for.

Already exists (well, in a sense, anyway):

Quote:
CES 2014: 3D food printers create sweets and chocolates.

The machines make chocolate and sugar-based confectionery shaped in ways that would be difficult to produce using traditional methods.

The smaller one, Chefjet, is limited to monochrome creations, but the larger Chefjet Pro can create multicoloured objects.

If I recall, NASA was looking into it -- load up component parts in shuttles, and have a 3D food printer on ISS or similar to make the food.
Page 22 of 22