Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 5:11 PM
Default Sims 2 Skins at Same Genetic Value?
Hey guys!

So, over the past few months I've been educating myself on Sims 2 cc, but I'm still pretty new at it. In particular, I have some questions about cc skin.

I have a set of default skins, and just today found some skins with freckles that I really like, which thankfully look almost exactly like my already existing defaults but with freckles. These skins with freckles are geneticized. In fact, it seems they're geneticized at exactly the same values as the first three default skins (0.1, 0.3, 0.6). Will that cause any issues in my game? I went into CAS after adding the skins to my downloads, and it seems that children are just as likely to be born with freckles or without, regardless of what the parents have. I'd kind of like the freckled skins to be slightly more rare than that, but nothing I've read about the skin genetics in the game make me think that this is possible. The only way I can think of to make them more rare is to add more geneticized skin tones to my game, which I don't forsee happening frequently because it took me so long just to find even one other set of skins that look enough like my defaults.

Any advice about this? I don't want to get rid of the freckled skins completely, I'm just wondering 1. if the way it's set up currently will cause problems and 2. if there is a way to make the game less likely to choose those skins when new babies are born (maybe like 75%-25% odds as opposed to the current 50%-50% odds that it seems to have).
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 5:26 PM
1. There's no reason why it should cause any problems. I have a similar set-up myself, and it works just like you describe.

2. I don't know of a way to adjust the odds like that. (If there is a way, I want to know about it!) With the lightest freckled skin, you could give it a slightly lower genetic value - say, 0.09 - and then the only sims who could get it would be those who had an ancestor with that skin (or freshly spawned sims, if the skins are towniefied as well); but obviously that doesn't help with the darker freckled skins.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 6:18 PM
The way the game chooses the skintone is this. It takes the value of each parent's skintone and gives the child, randomly, any skintone you have in your game which has a value at or between those of the parents. There is no way to make a skin more or less likely to be chosen in that calculation unfortunately. Skintones don't work like eyes and hair which do have recessive/dominant traits.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 7:40 PM

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 8:26 PM
That was kind of my response too, Nysha, but I was too lazy to find a gif.... :-P

I agree with the OP, though - it's annoying that sims with freckle-less parents can be born with a freckled skin. I used to use some custom eyes that included freckles, so they were genetic and didn't just show up randomly, but I don't use custom eyes any more as I pretty much only play with the pre-mades....
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 8:35 PM
Oh that's nice Laura - do you remember where you got them?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 9:23 PM
Eyes that come with freckles-is interested in that too.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 9:34 PM
I used to use these ones by Vidde, there are also some newer ones here :-)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 9:37 PM
Thanks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~