Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 6:38 AM
Default So in your opinion whick is the BEST remake of Sunset Valley and why?
So I've been in the market for a remake of Sunset Valley for awhile, but for some reason it seems to be a town that everyone and their mother has remade. Probabley because it's a large world with a fairly open ended look and theme, therefore the easiest option for placing down stuff from the expansions. I suppose it's good to have options but it leaves me at a loss as to what version I should choose

So I figured I'd ask people who have already downloaded and tested one or more of these Sunset Valley remakes which one they use most and why they think this version has been the most useful for them? Just like it says in the title in your opinion which Sunset Valley Remake is the BEST?

Thanks for any insight you provide!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Pillowkitty6 : 30th Sep 2016 at 9:27 AM.
Just posting since no one has yet. Just going to say I have zero experience playing this custom map but it looks good from the trailer.

Trailer
Website
Site is in german but its easy enough to navigate. Just look for the New Sunset Valley 2013 Tab.

I'm partial to My Sim Realty's custom worlds myself but I can see and feel the nostalgia of Sunset Valley.

Link to an english patch and the world in my post below.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:34 AM
To Pillowkitty6, Thanks for posting ^^ it's ashame you can't add to the argument about whether it's the BEST remake or not. But maybe someone else will offer there opinion on the version you posted?
So thanks for the imput.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:39 AM Last edited by Pillowkitty6 : 30th Sep 2016 at 9:25 AM.
Sorry can't be of more help. From what I can gather searching around old posts there was an issue with needing to run off an english save or else whole thing is in german. Also some complaints of lag but that is always going to be an issue when maps get a certain size and routing goes tits up regularly. Trailer looked aesthetically pleasing compared to maps I've seen in the past.

EDIT: http://amandieu.tumblr.com/post/749...ey-by-simfansde

There is both the dl and an english save file for the map.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well, it is all a matter of opinions, but I don't like the type of remake where they just use CAW and add a few islands, buildings, etc... because it seems very artificial to me.

I prefer remakes that actually takes the existing world and "project" how it will evolve, more realistically like how any town or city evolves in real life. So while it is possible Sunset Valley would eventually develop hi-rises, etc.. but it wouldn't suddenly have new islands etc...

While I agree that the best project is likely one that builds on the existing world, I put it to you that this doesn't necessarily preclude the exclusion of islands or landscape alterations, if it totally alters the core of Sunset Valley fair enough but I don't think new editions like islands HAVE to be considered heretical. They just have to not be vastly different from the already existing Sunset Valley landscape i.e. no Sunlit Tides style sandbanks because they're too different from the original style of the landscape, but I could totally see some big chunky islands hanging out in the ocean, just so long as they don't look like they come from a completely different climate or eco-system you know?

Feel free to disagree but that's my take on such things.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:46 AM
I would give you a link, but I actually haven't seen many if any Sunset Valley remakes. I do remember there were a few members on where who made really amazing Bridgeport remakes. The only Sunset Valley I really know is my own game, which I wouldn't call remake... I simply add and modify it slowly since 2009 base on the concept I mentioned above how I would re-imagine it growing and developing naturally.

Unfortunately, Sunset Valley is not my hometown, not for a while, so the changes are very slow. One area which took almost a year to complete b/c I'm rarely there, is the Vasona Hill Shopping district.

Oooh that looks quite interesting...is it a mall? It looks like a mall.

Edit: Forgot to ask: What's your reasoning behind what you add to your Sunset Valley save? Do asethetics play a part? Adding stuff from new expansions? Or are you trying to document the passage of time by evolving from the suburban to the just plain urban?
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 9:16 AM
That's actually an old screenshot. It is a bit different now. The two big malls are still there. But the one on the right has been replaced with an international library and the lot of the left (which can't be seen in that shot) has a new resort. Sorry, I don't have any really good screenshots of the area. I'm not a screenshot taker. Perhaps I'll take some next time I visit Sunset Valley.

But yeah, it is all about people's preference. I simply prefer these kind of natural developments. I'm sure others like a complete makeover with new islands etc... that's their preference.

Yeah, I'm somewhere in between on this, it's kind of how I am with Premade Sim Makeovers too, I think generally it's okay to touch their genetics so long as you don't turn them into a completely different sim but keep and improve on their most prominent features, I'm of the same opinion when it comes to towns it's okay to expand or dial up, it's when you turn mountains into flat lands that you need to step away from the computer with your hands up
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 1:19 AM
I've tried the New Sunset Valley from Simsfan.de and didn't like it much. I mean it works, but I remember a lot or routing errors and it has a lot of huge lots which I don't like in general. It feels it's mostly for rich people, so there is very little variety. Admittedly, they went all out with some of the lots but to me it feels a bit cobbled together. You can tell there were more people working at it.
And it's pretty hard on your machine. And I have a good one.
I've never been a fan of Sunset Valley, it's so vanilla. I like worlds that evoke a particular continent, or climate. Sunset Valley can fit into almost anything except desert type worlds.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
I've tried the New Sunset Valley from Simsfan.de and didn't like it much. I mean it works, but I remember a lot or routing errors and it has a lot of huge lots which I don't like in general. It feels it's mostly for rich people, so there is very little variety. Admittedly, they went all out with some of the lots but to me it feels a bit cobbled together. You can tell there were more people working at it.
And it's pretty hard on your machine. And I have a good one.
I've never been a fan of Sunset Valley, it's so vanilla. I like worlds that evoke a particular continent, or climate. Sunset Valley can fit into almost anything except desert type worlds.

Honestly, I see where your coming from in terms of the vanilla quality of Sunset Valley, but I think its weakness is also its strength in that regard. Because it's so simple but also so large it's ideal for a remake.

Ashame about the routing issues with New Sunset I'd think the rich feel could be modified by adding your own lots but routing issues are forever
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Honestly, I see where your coming from in terms of the vanilla quality of Sunset Valley, but I think its weakness is also its strength in that regard. Because it's so simple but also so large it's ideal for a remake.

Ashame about the routing issues with New Sunset I'd think the rich feel could be modified by adding your own lots but routing issues are forever

Oh, I agree, that its blandness is also its strength. I have a few remakes that I haven't played but for me, a remake should add a character to it. This one was Sunset Valley for rich people which doesn't interest me. It's a cool one for the interesting lots, that's why I installed in the first place but I got bored quickly. Not my play style.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Oh, I agree, that its blandness is also its strength. I have a few remakes that I haven't played but for me, a remake should add a character to it. This one was Sunset Valley for rich people which doesn't interest me. It's a cool one for the interesting lots, that's why I installed in the first place but I got bored quickly. Not my play style.

So those remakes you mentioned when you say you haven't played them do you mean that you haven't even booted them up? Or that you just don't play them very often?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 10:47 AM
The best remake I found so far is called Gibsons and it was my first attempted CAW project though it ended up working and it's a lot more stable for longer legacies than Sunset Valley which is loaded with routing errors from the rabbit hole lots to the main park which has an area for puppies and kittens to get stuck.I've never had those issues in Gibsons though it was never populated in CAW and has hardly any lots placed when starting a new game there.I've got a link to a world bundle of three worlds I created in CAW which includes Gibsons and my signature links to that blog.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 8:33 PM Last edited by 310175 : 1st Oct 2016 at 8:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
So those remakes you mentioned when you say you haven't played them do you mean that you haven't even booted them up? Or that you just don't play them very often?

I have about 40 Custom Worlds and I have time to play about 2-3 times a month. I have loaded and played about 15 of them since 2009 I think. Depending on how well they played, what I wanted to do with them, what kind of Sim I played. Some, I uninstall quickly, others I play with much longer.

The Sunset Valley remakes are not exactly high on my list. I'm sure I'll get to them eventually. But the ones I have seem a lot smaller than the Simsfan.de one. I've got Sunset Island 2, Sunset Valley Seasons, Sunset Valley Final (2nd edition), both from the Exchange.

ETA: I just checked. I have over 90 custom worlds! I will never stop playing TS3! :lovestruc
Theorist
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 12:02 AM
I have lots of custom worlds, too. I love them!

My favorite SV remake so far is Sunset Valley (Seasons 2nd Edition), which you can download on the Exchange here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=6825571

It does have a few Store items so if you don't have those, keep a look out for missing doors etc. Here is the link to the thread where creator LynxAQ discusses the world as it progresses: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...ailable-now/p32

There are two older versions that are a bit smaller and might run even better (I have not tried those) and there is also an even newer version that was updated for IP. I did try that one but personally I found it to be very laggy because it is so huge and has too many ports and houseboats; also unless you have a powerful PC you will probably see a lot of empty venues because there are so many places for sims to go to. If you want any of the other versions, they're also available in the creator's studio but be aware that you can only have one version installed at any one time because s/he did not change the world ID file when updated versions were released.

Why I like it: the creator did a great job at expanding the town in logical ways and the terrain painting and sculpting are very good, IMO. The world is also populated with SV sims as well as a few sims from other worlds.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 2:21 AM
Thanks for the input tangie0906 ^^ also completely unrelated but...that kitten in your profile pic is adorable.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 8:31 AM
Nitromon! Your post and screenshots are beautiful.
...Can you identify this lot?

Is that the one a little way past the east end of Water Lily? Looks like, maybe. I love that place. I collected a really sweet bug there.