Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#51 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
Quick question. If I used Origin to download an SP, but have AL on a physical disc, do I still need to keep Origin on my computer?
Good question. You could always try uninstalling it and see what happens.

It's my belief that you could uninstall without any negative effects, but I've never downloaded a game from Origin, so I don't really know.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:35 PM
Fivey, if you try to uninstall Origin, a message will come up asking you if you are sure you want to uninstall it. It also tells you that certain EA games may not be available to you if you uninstall it. At least that's the message I got when I was going to uninstall Origin from my computer. I didn't install it for any Sims 2 EPs or SPs, because I have all of the discs. I installed origin on my computer because I was considering dowloading Sim City 4. I decided to test it first before I purchased any downloads, so I downloaded a free demo of the sims 3. It took 4 hours to download the demo, which turned out to be a waste of time, considering the demo only lasted about 10 minutes when I played it. I deleted the demo, but I never uninstalled Origin because of that message. I don't think it would even effect my Sims 2 game since I installed everything from discs, but I don't know for sure.
Banned
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:44 PM
As far as SC4 you'd be better off looking for a copy on amazon or ebay. Probably cheaper and no dealing with Origin.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:53 PM
SPs/EPs downloaded from Origin will be put into the Origin Games folder under Program Files rather than the EA Games folder. Uninstalling Origin might delete that folder. You could copy the folder, uninstall, and put it back into program files, but I don't know if that would work. Uninstalling may also do something to the registry and I wouldn't know how to prevent that. Origin does not need to be running for me to play the game, though. I haven't opened it up since reinstalling awhile back.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
Darby, am I wrong that Securom was included in the hard copies of the game since Bon Voyage?

You are not wrong, but there are ways to avoid it that cannot be discussed further here.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
As far as SC4 you'd be better off looking for a copy on amazon or ebay. Probably cheaper and no dealing with Origin.

Thank you. I already decided that would be a better idea right after I tested Origin. It probably would have taken 2 days to download Sim City 4 from Origin with my ridiculously slow internet.

I suppose I should probably express my opinion about the original topic of this thread, although I don’t really have much to add that hasn’t already been mentioned. All I know is that I’m thankful I purchased my M&G a while ago since it’s so hard to find a new one for a reasonable price now. At the time I got mine they just started selling the collection packs in the stores. I didn’t want the collection pack, because I already had all of the EPs, so I ordered my M&G from Amazon. I purchased a new one. I think I paid about $34.00 for it, which included shipping. I didn’t mind paying extra for M&G to get it by itself. It’s not like I don’t play it almost every single day, so it was worth it for me. I don’t think I would pay more than $50.00 for it though. If I didn’t already have it, I would probably purchase a used one.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
In those situations (house fires and natural disasters), being able to re-download the game would be handy, yes, but I prefer those slight risks to my physical disks to the downsides of digital downloads, namely SecuRom, the fact that they're not compatible with some hacks (I'm a huge hack user), and the fact that some of the DD EPs don't play nice with EPs installed in different formats.

As for my disks getting lost or scratched, Peni's dead on. The easiest way to avoid those issues are to not leave them lying around, willy nilly. Mine are all in a CD case that stays in my computer desk hutch, safe from extreme temps, dust, and even thieves, I imagine. I have been robbed before, and among other things, the thief took my computer (yay for having important files, including my game, backed up on a flash drive!) and my son's X-Box, but left a stack of X-Box games behind. I don't think most thieves are interested in games, and with mine in a CD wallet in the hutch, they'd be unlikely to spot them in the first place.

There are lots of Ebay fans here, but that story you relate is one reason I prefer Amazon. Try there, next time you need something. It's far more user-friendly! The key to having a good experience with a private seller is to choose one with a very high average rating, and a lot of ratings (several hundred or up, if possible). I buy from private sellers a few to several times a year and have for years with no bad experiences yet.

I bought Uni off of amazon last summer and had no complains. good price, new, and arrived fast. It was a good experience but the first time i've ordered from them. I'll take your advice next time i need to order something though and look at amazon first thank you.

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The nasty kind of SecuROM is included with all versions of Sims 2 since The Sims 2: Deluxe, including H&M Fashion Stuff and Sims Pet Stories. You're right in that Bon Voyage is the first standalone EP which included SecuROM, but EA was shipping it before BV.

As I understand it, the Origin versions of the game do not include the nasty kind of SecuROM, Instead, you must agree to the nasty form of Origin to download from EA. There are other download options which avoid Origin.

In the future, EA may force people to use the nasty form of Origin. For example, even though you can download the new version of SimCity from other sites, you'll have to logon to Origin to play the game.

The terms of origin don't bother me right now, because i have M&G so i don't have to rely on origin to play the game. if i, lets say lose my M&G CD somehow, i would get a hard copy of it instead of going to origin, no question. I figured it wasnt a huge deal with AL because i dont *need* the CD other than installing the game.

Thanks everyone for your advice and such, but im still fuzzy. Is SecROM in the origin version of AL? Or no?
Site Helper
#58 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 5:40 AM
Again, as I understand it, Origin versions of the EPs do not include the nasty form of SecuROM.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 6:03 AM
Alrighty, there were a lot of other posts that were created since i was on here the other day so it kind of got lost in translation. Thank you very much!
Page 3 of 3