Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#51 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 5:05 PM
I think its a shame that a huge chunk of the tool makers are working with TSR - I just don't trust them enough to use anything from them.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 7:11 PM
I think it would be very STUPID and short-sighted of EA if they did anything to stop modding, like in a patch or something. IMO, in it's current state TS3 can only stay interesting for a while, at least for many players like me, but with CC and mods it has very much potential. And keeping the game interesting helps selling expansions and store items etc. It is possible that some CC objects will be based on Store items, in which case you must buy them in order to use them (like with stuff packs in TS2).

Right now I'm pretty entertained with TS3, just exploring the game, but I know it will become boring before long unless some interesting CC and mods start to appear, or EA does something extraordinary.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#53 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 7:13 PM
Reyn - Most tool makers - including TSR - are working fairly independently, and just sharing tips and information about what file formats and linking and stuff they sort out on their own. It's not really a huge chunk working with them but more everyone trying to help each other. Which is a good thing for the community, no matter how one may feel about TSR.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Eminence Grise
#54 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stormwench
I think the store will just provide new covers for the old, a way to compete with the community and make money off it - and as things go the store is not at all a savings over buying a stuff pack. What will be interesting is once we have tools to do so, how fast near if not exact copies of what can be bought in the store will hit the community as free downloads - somewhere or other and whether the store will, in the long run, make $$ for EA.

All the stuff from the store hit the community as free downloads starting on release day, complete the day after. Not on respectable sites like this one, of course

IMO the only real problem with the store is that the prices are way too high. Much higher than stuff packs or paysites. What I consider a reasonable price model for a game like the Sims is if all official new content can be bought at a rate which is not higher than what it costs to subscribe to an MMO -- i.e. $15/mo -- since I think the gameplay value of Sims games is about the same as you get with an MMO. With Sims 2, buying all EPs/SPs came in well under that. Sims 3 store pushes it WAY over.

However, all the conspiracy theorists who claimed that the existence of the Store meant that EA would try to stamp out community modding were off base. Which is what I expected all along. Plenty of game companies nowadays both sell DLC and either support or tolerate free mod communities as well. The two things are not incompatible.
Inventor
#55 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Reyn - Most tool makers - including TSR - are working fairly independently, and just sharing tips and information about what file formats and linking and stuff they sort out on their own. It's not really a huge chunk working with them but more everyone trying to help each other. Which is a good thing for the community, no matter how one may feel about TSR.

That's different then - I think sharing information is a great thing, and hopefully the TSR folks are giving as much as they get, or at least trying to. I just don't want to be stuck with a tool that TSR made, even with help from everyone else.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Page 3 of 3