Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 12:41 AM Last edited by Delphy : 7th Jun 2009 at 2:21 AM.
Default How to get the game to recognise mods and packages
The "for dummies" instructions:

Click here: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...g_Package_Files

Please note: There is a Resource.cfg in the Game\Bin folder. DO NOT modify, touch, overwrite, delete or otherwise mess with it in ANY way - you will break your game!

You need to create a new resource.cfg file in the Sims 3 root folder!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ResourceDOTcfg.rar (142 Bytes, 547081 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Downloadable resource.cfg file, so you don't have to make your own.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:57 AM
Does anyone know where I should put the files on a mac? I tried the root directory and a couple other places but nothing works.
Giblets for hire
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 2:21 PM
How are you testing if it works or not?
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM
when ever i replace the resource file the game won't load
im running windows vista though
so our game is in
C:\Prgram Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

thats where the main application is and also the Resource File
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 11:04 PM
Don't replace that file - in fact, don't touch it at all.

You need to make a new resource.cfg in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\

Then you just paste the contents as in the first post and go from there.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:35 AM
Keep it as a text document? I saved mine as Resource.cfg, but when browsing in a windows explorer tab, it still says it is a text document, not unknown like the real Resource.cfg found in the game/bin folder.

Probably a n00b question, but just wanted to make sure.

Er. I also do not have a /mods/packages folder. Actually, I don't have a /mods folder in /the sims 3 folder at all...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:56 AM
Too the noob question...

You need to make windows show the file extensions... by doing so windows will show all extensions for all files, careful with renaming from now on...

your resource file should looks like

Resource.cfg.txt .txt is the real extension and and not cfg, to change it, simply rename and delete .txt

This will turn your file into a real cfg... after that disable the show file extensions in windows unless you want to screw up a file in your computer renaming it lol...

By the way the content is blended with the rest of the abstracts, clicking on show only custom content doesnt show anything at all...
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:34 AM
I too do not have a Mods/Packages folder...am I missing something?
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:43 AM
You have to make it, silly! :p
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:13 AM
For us OCD Simmers, can we orgsanize this into subfolders? (IE Patterns, Mods, Meshes, etc.)

Also will these install instructions be placed on TS3 Downloads by default?
Test Subject
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rick
How are you testing if it works or not?

I have a packaged lot I got from another player and it doesn't show up in the game.

Has anyone with a mac got this to work yet?

On the mac the game is in Macintosh HD/Applications/The Sims 3 and then you have to right click on the Sims 3 icon and click Contents then it goes Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

I'm guessing I'm supposed to put it there because its looks pretty much like how it is on a Windows after all the super long weird crap, but it doesn't work.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LindaTheNinja
I have a packaged lot I got from another player and it doesn't show up in the game.

On the mac the game is in Macintosh HD/Applications/The Sims 3 and then you have to right click on the Sims 3 icon and click Contents then it goes Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

I'm guessing I'm supposed to put it there because its looks pretty much like how it is on a Windows after all the super long weird crap, but it doesn't work.

I just realized the package I have is .Sims3Pack does this have anything to do with it? I tried chaning it to .package and nothing changed. Should I change the code in the Resource.cfg file or should the package go somewhere else altogether?

I know it works because someone else already got it to work on a Windows, but it was on 4chan so I don't have a chance to ask them anything right now.
Giblets for hire
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:08 AM
Yes that's what it is, Sims3Pack are not the same thing as packages. Sims3Packs are meant to be installed via the Sims 3 Launcher.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:20 AM
How do I get the computer to show the file extensions?
Test Subject
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:39 AM
I second that how do we get the PC to show the extensions..I believe this is my hold up on getting these to work ! Thanks in advance !
Test Subject
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rick
Yes that's what it is, Sims3Pack are not the same thing as packages. Sims3Packs are meant to be installed via the Sims 3 Launcher.

And how do I do that? Double clicking it opens the Sims 3 Launcher then I only option I have is clicking on the play button which starts the game and nothing else.
Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LindaTheNinja

Hi Linda,

Im on a Mac too and I thought it didn't work at first either but that was because I was looking in the Wallpaper in the build section. The patterns show up in Create a Style. I did show package contents and put them in the exact place you stated above and there they were!

Yay! :D
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elephant
For us OCD Simmers, can we orgsanize this into subfolders? (IE Patterns, Mods, Meshes, etc.)

Also will these install instructions be placed on TS3 Downloads by default?

I second this question. Can we make subfolders and will they work in-game?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SillygirlAZ
Im on a Mac too and I thought it didn't work at first either but that was because I was looking in the Wallpaper in the build section. The patterns show up in Create a Style. I did show package contents and put them in the exact place you stated above and there they were!

Yay! :D

Double yay! I was able to get this to work on my iMac as well, but the text file Resource.cfg goes in the Sims 3 folder (not in any of the folders there) and you need to make (or copy in) the folders Mods and a subfolder of that named Packages and then package files go in that Packages folder.

Hope that helped a bit, I was doing some hair pulling trying to figure it all.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:18 AM
I am sorry, but I still don't get it. When I make the Mods\Packages folder, it must be made in the program files, not the "my documents" files? When downloading say the new patterns, I have to extract it into the program files, not the "my documents" EA file? This is my confusion.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shudecay
How do I get the computer to show the file extensions?

1. Go to Control panel -> Folder Options
2. Under "Folder Options" click the "View" tab
3. Look at "Advance Settings" -> UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types".

That should allow you to see the File Extensions. Hope this helps.
Test Subject
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:16 AM
Thanks, that does help! But of course I have more issues :S I'm a reaaal noob here, sorry. Anyway, It says that .cfg is a Microsoft Office Outlook Configuration File. Umm, is it supposed to do that? Also what do you mean by "in this file you need to have" because it won't let me do anything to the file without a security warning of some sort coming up.
Test Subject
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shudecay
Thanks, that does help! But of course I have more issues :S I'm a reaaal noob here, sorry. Anyway, It says that .cfg is a Microsoft Office Outlook Configuration File. Umm, is it supposed to do that? Also what do you mean by "in this file you need to have" because it won't let me do anything to the file without a security warning of some sort coming up.

I haven't tried it out myself, but i think what Delphy means is:
1. Create a text file, maybe with the "Notepad" application (this can be found in Start -> A'' Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad)
2. Copy and paste the Code that Delphy provided into the document
3. Save the text file.
4. Rename the file to "Resource.cfg".

Just change the extension, it doesn't matter if a warning pops up saying that "the file may become unstable".

Hopefully this helps. I'm actually at work now, so i can't play Sims here, will be trying it out tonight.
Scholar
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:46 AM
Just a HUGE Thank you for this so precious work.Can't wait to get my hands on the game (still 2 days to wait) and to enjoy CC,thanks to you.Big hugs.
Test Subject
#25 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:08 AM
noob question, I've managed to create the files and the cfg document but where do I find the new patterns in the game? i tried wallpapers and clothes.. clicking the star "show custom content " thingie but I can't find the new patterns :S
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Ancient thread, from the dawn of time.
Page 1 of 11