Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 2:48 AM
Default Sims 2 on VMs?
How well Sims 2 runs on VMs, since 7 will die soon I want to know if I could run Sims 2 on a XP vm. I tried that on 2015/16 and it didn't run at all. Does i nowadays runs nicely on XP or is better stick to actual hardware?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 6:25 PM
depends of hardware. If any - Win7 would be better in vm anyway, you can still grab its legal test version (5 activations avaible in sequence, and you also always can use snapshot) for free from Microsoft IIRC. XP will be nightmare in performance would demand older version of hypervisor (both VirtualBox and vmWare does not support 32bit systems in theirs actual versions)- and you really cannot activate it anymore normally - until you have a tailored one or, well, "liberated one".

It will require some tinkering - regardless of hardware. Why just not use wine in Linux? Or, if you prefer Windows ways, stick to the devil? The soul is cheap, who cares ^^

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Alchemist
#4 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 10:18 PM
not entirely sure, but any virtual computer might require internet connection.
though from experience, a virtual computer does use a part of the main computer's memory. I do not remember how much. used vmWare.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Will it run on Windows 8?

You will get trouble installing EPs but is easily fixable, and a couple of other glitches but you can run it
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 1:58 AM
I am staying on Win 7 as long as possible and then I think Linux will be the way to go.

Gina is running Sims on 8.1 but that is a rare Windows to have.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#7 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 4:07 AM
I have Windows 8.1, as well, but I'm using the Ultimate Collection, so not the same as installing from disks. It installed fine from Origin back when I got it and seems to run well enough. I get the occasional crashes if I've been playing a few hours, even though I've done just about everything to ensure the UC has plenty of memory and a proper graphics card to use.
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 4:46 AM
Window 10 and running Sims 2 just fine, followed Leefish's steps when it didn't initially work.
Scholar
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
not entirely sure, but any virtual computer might require internet connection.

em? I mean, besides obtaining software?

Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
though from experience, a virtual computer does use a part of the main computer's memory. I do not remember how much. used vmWare.

whatever number you give it, assuming that you have that memory in the 1st place. For the game and the necessary system in VM - 4 to 5 GB will be enough (less with Win XP 32 ofc). If you have SSD, non dynamic Virtual Drive on it for VM the weak point will be emulated GPU obviously. It can be (for some extend) masked and mitigated by powerful enough native hardware. There were some encouraging examples, but I've never used (no point) any VM (especially Windows one) for any gaming.

Guys... just buy some junk for 20$ from around 2005, clean it and make Mother Earth a bit happier.
Or use ROS(TM)

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"