Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 10:31 PM
Default How many mods for non laggy?
How much custom content before games glitchy? i have sims 2 super collection and i have 2258 thins in my downloads folder (mainly CC) is this why my game is messed up/glitchy all the time?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 10:37 PM
No set amount, just depends what your computer can handle. 2258 files is pretty small. Mac's though do have a hard limit on the files, fairly sure it's a lot more than that though. If your game is messed up you probably have a bad piece of cc and need to find it. Pull your cc and how does it run then?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
No set amount, just depends what your computer can handle. 2258 files is pretty small. Mac's though do have a hard limit on the files, fairly sure it's a lot more than that though. If your game is messed up you probably have a bad piece of cc and need to find it. Pull your cc and how does it run then?

theres just so many problems. always happening. months ago i cleared all my mods but ive redownloaded now. how do i find a bad cc?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 10:54 PM
Firstly when you say mods are you referring to mods (mod/hacks are small files that change game behavior or change an items behavior) Mods are not things like hair and clothes. Maybe in some other games they might say cc hair is a mod, but we don't. CC hair is just cc hair, cc clothes is just cc clothes not a mod. Is your Download folder organized, so that all mods are in one folder not just tossed into a general pile? Some mods (hacks) have a certain order of loading. So some mods must load before others, generally the creator will detail such things in the description.

You find bad cc by doing a 50/50 search. (do not pull cc that creates NPC! such as a multi PT set) Make a backup and halve your folder, test one side and then the other. If one side plays smoothly put it aside and try the other half. Keep halving and trying. This only works if it is a bad piece of cc. Clashing mods are a bit harder to spot since I don't think you can run the Hack Conflict utility.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 1:20 PM
Do you know what every one of those 2258 files is and does and are sure none of them conflict?

I would be tempted to pull the lot out and start over but the 50/50 method also works.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 4:13 AM
Like simsfreq said, A huge contribution to the problem of lag could be if mods are conflicting or CC is bad/old. The 50/50 method is great. It's where you take half of your files out, and try the game. If it works well, Then you know the problem isnt with those files, Then take those out and put the other half in. If its laggy, then you know the problem is somewhere in that half. Keep doing this until you find the issues..
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 9:56 AM Last edited by iCad : 19th Jun 2016 at 10:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by divajools
How much custom content before games glitchy? i have sims 2 super collection and i have 2258 thins in my downloads folder (mainly CC) is this why my game is messed up/glitchy all the time?

As others have said, how much is too much depends entirely on your game configuration (how many EPs/SPs are installed) and your computer: How fast its processor is, what kind of video card you have and how fast its processor is, how much system RAM you have, how fast your hard drive spins or if you have a solid-state one, etc. etc. There is generally no set number of files, although there is a hard limit as to how many files a Mac can read. But that limit is far larger than 2000-and-some files.

My game has all EPs/SPs (I play on a Windows machine), and I currently have about 50,000 files of CC (mods and other stuff like clothes, hair, objects, etc.) and my game does not "glitch" or lag. Many people have a lot more than that and their game doesn't lag or glitch, either. If yours is lagging, then I'd say that the reason is probably your system specs (bad CC and conflicting mods don't generally cause lag; they just cause the game to crash or to not work right) and if it's glitching, I'd say that your problem is far more likely to be pieces of bad CC (not the amount of CC) and/or mods that are conflicting. You'll need to do some work to diagnose those problems.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 11:20 PM
the thing is the problems dont always show. im just gonna restart, and delete all my mods i guess
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 11:34 PM
What are your computer specs? Can your machine run the game well?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 12:36 AM
I was going to mention that question, Jo-it would be helpful to know what kind of system specs a machine has-the older models do not have enough processing speed at times to render the game playable, especially since some did not allow for expanding memory. I had that problem about 2 years ago-I just could not upgrade my memory any more, and until I got a better system, it would be laggy.

Or perhaps a laptop. Now, I know there are gaming laptops that can beat a desktop, but I also know they're not cheap..but most laptops cannot really run the entire series without a problem. It was designed for a desktop, mostly.

So what kind of machine are we working with here?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles