Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 7:50 PM
Default Sims 3 packs vs packages
I was wondering about everyones' preference between using packs or packages. I have a decent computer and i have a small amount of lag, related to all the content I'm sure. Most of my downloads are packs, as much as I hate the launcher its also a pain to use packages also since I merge my packages. My game loads pretty quickly but for the lag, would merged packages be better or continue using packs. I can play so many games on maxed settings with no lag but sims 3 has to be a pain, sims 2 runs just fine even with all the tons of content I have. Just looking for some advice.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 8:25 PM
Merged packages are exactly the same, performance-wise, as sims3packs. As long as you keep your package files to a minimum in number, you won't experience any problems with performance due to using packages. Just keep the un-merged packages separate, so if you ever need to remove something, you can make a new merged package. I do mine in batches per type, so I have one package for hair, one for skins, one for makeup, etc. - about 20 total, but that's still plenty low for good performance.

Sims 3 never truly runs perfectly, btw... Not on all high settings, anyway, even with an absolutely obscene amount of hardware. So... lower your expectations a little bit.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 9:40 PM
Ok, thank you very much for the right to the point answer. I've been merging about 100 into 1 package, is there a limit to how many should be merged? I've googled this but there are so many different preferences and opinions about it.
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 9:42 PM
Merged packages? Do you mean having separate folders that contain a handful of packages each?

C-A
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 9:54 PM
Merged packages are combining packages with S3PE program. You can find a tutorail here:
http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nightstar
Ok, thank you very much for the right to the point answer. I've been merging about 100 into 1 package, is there a limit to how many should be merged? I've googled this but there are so many different preferences and opinions about it.

Even though the latest versions of S3PE are available as 64 bit programs (for those with 64 bit OS's) I've found that I'll still have a problem merging more than about 150 MB of files into one package, which could be anywhere from 80 to 120 individual packages, depending of course on original size. And I do save all my individual package files in folders that correspond to the final, merged file, for any editing and re-merging required in the future.

Honestly, the only thing I use S3P's for are stuff like houses, as there really isn't a good way to turn it into a package file, or collection of packages. I absolutely hate the Launcher, which is slow, buggy, and generally useless for content management, so everything else (clothing, hair, and whatnot) gets converted to package files for later merging if I decide to keep them after a probationary period (although, being the pack rat I am, I always keep all the crap anyway, even if I never used it, because "you never know").

Or you could use CC magic, which will handle both package files and S3P's but won't work for Store content, or, I believe worlds (you should double check that last statement, I might be recalling incorrectly on that last part, but Store stuff is out).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Even though the latest versions of S3PE are available as 64 bit programs (for those with 64 bit OS's) I've found that I'll still have a problem merging more than about 150 MB of files into one package, which could be anywhere from 80 to 120 individual packages, depending of course on original size. And I do save all my individual package files in folders that correspond to the final, merged file, for any editing and re-merging required in the future.

Honestly, the only thing I use S3P's for are stuff like houses, as there really isn't a good way to turn it into a package file, or collection of packages. I absolutely hate the Launcher, which is slow, buggy, and generally useless for content management, so everything else (clothing, hair, and whatnot) gets converted to package files for later merging if I decide to keep them after a probationary period (although, being the pack rat I am, I always keep all the crap anyway, even if I never used it, because "you never know").

Or you could use CC magic, which will handle both package files and S3P's but won't work for Store content, or, I believe worlds (you should double check that last statement, I might be recalling incorrectly on that last part, but Store stuff is out).

I hate the launcher too. I hate not being able to just remove the objects from my downloads, having to search through the launcher was a headache. I merge my packages into separate categories, I seem to have the most objects like furniture so I usually have about 4 different merged object packages. I use the launcher for worlds, patterns and some lots. I too keep all kinds of content that I probably won't use but don't want to get rid of too.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 3:46 PM
Packages is much easier for builders as well. If I change my mind I don't have to clean it out, and I don't have to worry about tsr still detecting sims3packs I cleaned out with Custard. I've also had troubles with sims3pack I didn't know I used getting stuck on a lot. I built a modern house with a flat roof and still there apparently was a roof there, took me some time to find out it must have been Buzzler's roof disabler.

Packages has the opposite problem though, if I forget something the downloader will be very annoyed
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:16 PM Last edited by lowrisim : 12th Mar 2014 at 5:01 PM.
(Edit: like eskie227)

My solution has just been to use CC Magic
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=461888

My understand is it does all the heavy lifting of merging files for you (if i am wrong about how it works please let me know) and I can switch stuff in and out with ease. It unzips, keeps an archive, keeps my un-merged content in a folder, all while having an interface for me to sort and organize things as I like them. And it does not care at all if the content is package or sims3packs so I can throw it all in the same place. It even has a legacy folder that keep things that should NOT be merged separate.

Things at least the version I use won't do:
It won't handle official - EA content - but does put that in it own folder so you can keep it separate to load via the launcher.
Lots and worlds are still are best loaded through the launcher as it does not always send them there until you reload the game. And you can not UNload them with this tool.
And kitchen counter and Islands that are sim3packs still need loaded thru the launcher so that they combine correctly and so you have to sort those out yourself. Wish it had function/section for "load via the launcher"
It does not keep the UNmerged files organized is sub files. All package files are in one folder and all sim3pack and in another folder. Which means if I want an organized back up folder I have to make a second one myself.
It does not detect duplicates

My only complaint would be I have had little successes getting more than one collection file to stick at a time. But I am sure that is me. I love that it has a collection function just wish I was better at using it.

For the pack rats like me I have a set for 'Stuff thinking about' in CC magic for CC not currently using... it doesn't go in but I can always put it back in the next time I load
Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 9:18 AM
Default Problem with using both files?
Alright, dont laugh. I have been installing both the sims3pack and package files (into their seperate corrosponding folders) for each download instead of choosing one or the other. Does anybody know if these files will work when i have installed both versions??? Please let me know! If so, is there any efficient way to remove them? Thanks guys! Happy simming
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 10:06 AM
Okay Imma laugh a little bit, louloulexi. They'll probably still work like that, but... there's no reason to do it that way and it'll slow things down a bit having two of everything. There's no real good way to remove just one set - pick which one you want to keep, and try to go in and remove the extras of the other type (either in the launcher for the sims3packs, or the folders for the packages). Pretty sure you're gonna have to just do that manually.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 10:18 AM
lol, I would probably just made a new gamefolder. Just give your gamefolder you have now a new name like Sims3mess and start up the game. It will then just make a new folder for you.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 4:16 PM
I don't have anything against the launcher even if it's slow sometimes.. But as for my preference, it depends what it is. I prefer sims3packs for hair and clothes because i don't really have merged package files for them, and hair packages can be big which means more time to wait for them to merge. For everything else like objects if there's an option for sims3pack I use it. Otherwise I have mods, default replacements, objects and stuff merged. I keep some packages separate from the merged ones, like mods I'm testing and my lighting mods plus awesome mod.
Instructor
#14 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 4:36 PM
I use Sims3packs simply because I download a -lot- of CC and I'm too lazy to merge my content all the time. I used to use CCMagic but I had issues with it not detecting a lot of my content or merging the files and then having them not show up in-game afterwards...so I ended up with a lot of loose packages that needed to be merged.
Generally if there's an option for s3p I'll download that instead. The launcher is slow and tends to lock up my computer when it's installing CC but at least I don't have to worry about the lag in-game later. The only package files I have now are some merged packs of Store content, game mods (which I have merged, but keep backed up as separate files so I can easily update and re-merge as needed. Yes, I have enough game mods that it's necessary to merge them, lol), and then my own CC when I need to take preview pictures for it since it's faster than dealing with the launcher for a single hair.
If you don't use that much CC or don't download a lot often packages might be easier, just remember to merge as needed - I generally try to merge when I get to 100 files or more.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Test Subject
#15 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lowrisim
(Edit: like eskie227)

My solution has just been to use CC Magic
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=461888

My understand is it does all the heavy lifting of merging files for you (if i am wrong about how it works please let me know) and I can switch stuff in and out with ease. It unzips, keeps an archive, keeps my un-merged content in a folder, all while having an interface for me to sort and organize things as I like them. And it does not care at all if the content is package or sims3packs so I can throw it all in the same place. It even has a legacy folder that keep things that should NOT be merged separate.

Things at least the version I use won't do:
It won't handle official - EA content - but does put that in it own folder so you can keep it separate to load via the launcher.
Lots and worlds are still are best loaded through the launcher as it does not always send them there until you reload the game. And you can not UNload them with this tool.
And kitchen counter and Islands that are sim3packs still need loaded thru the launcher so that they combine correctly and so you have to sort those out yourself. Wish it had function/section for "load via the launcher"
It does not keep the UNmerged files organized is sub files. All package files are in one folder and all sim3pack and in another folder. Which means if I want an organized back up folder I have to make a second one myself.
It does not detect duplicates

My only complaint would be I have had little successes getting more than one collection file to stick at a time. But I am sure that is me. I love that it has a collection function just wish I was better at using it.

For the pack rats like me I have a set for 'Stuff thinking about' in CC magic for CC not currently using... it doesn't go in but I can always put it back in the next time I load

it did, but doesn't work any more cc magic
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 10:55 AM
Ow, another topic raised from the dead. -.-
Theorist
#17 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sylvantino
it did, but doesn't work any more cc magic

You can still merge them manually with S3PE.

When a topic is old, it might be better to start a new topic, especially since things can change over time. Then again, there are new people still buying TS3 and there ARE some older posts that do still contain relevant information. Plus, I don't think this forum is so crazy busy that it matters if a thread gets resurrected now and then.

I think CC Magic still works if you can stay on patch 1.67, but if you update to 1.69 it's my understanding that it no longer works.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 5:30 PM
From (what little) I understand, you can still use CC Magic to merge and organize content on Patch 1.69. You just can't use it to start up the game.
dodgy builder
#19 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
You can still merge them manually with S3PE.

When a topic is old, it might be better to start a new topic, especially since things can change over time. Then again, there are new people still buying TS3 and there ARE some older posts that do still contain relevant information. Plus, I don't think this forum is so crazy busy that it matters if a thread gets resurrected now and then.

I think CC Magic still works if you can stay on patch 1.67, but if you update to 1.69 it's my understanding that it no longer works.

I've been here a while and frankly it can be very annoying when people post in old threads. I hope to see something new and finds out I'm expected to read a long old thread before answering. I'm lazy, if it's old I tend not to read it, and I believe I'm not that alone.

... unless it's actually useful.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 4:54 PM
Anyone care to write a how-to on how to use CC magic? I'm asking because the links to the fine manual are all broken, and granthes hasn't been on mod the sims for over a year.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:52 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Batsheba
Have you tried this one: https://nonasims.wordpress.com/2012...-with-cc-magic/

Perfect! At least the link isn't dead. Thank you very much! :lovestruc