Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:38 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 19th Oct 2014 at 9:14 AM.
Default Population Control ?
Reading some of the other threads regarding killing sims where people wrote that even killing them in game wont remove their character file. Is there any safe way to get rid these characters files?

I heard somewhere that the game can crash if you have too many sims in the neighborhood (I dont remember the amount though, over 1000 or was 10,000?). Is there any way to reduce the existing sims so you dont get that problem?

Im thinking mainly on Megahoods, the one Ive have 1000 character files.

EDIT
I was refering dead townies/npc. They will still have their characterfile after death, dont they? Thats what I was actuallly asking for. Removing these character files.The pachage file.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:58 AM
The only way to safely delete sims is through this tutorial on MATY. And even through that tutorial, you shouldn't delete sims that are close to sims already in the neighborhood, such as relatives.

The exact number is in the 32,000 mark, where after that the neighborhood implodes.

As for population control, you'll want to get mods that stop townie and NPC regeneration. MATY should have what you're looking for.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheNest
The only way to safely delete sims is through this tutorial on MATY. And even through that tutorial, you shouldn't delete sims that are close to sims already in the neighborhood, such as relatives.
The exact number is in the 32,000 mark, where after that the neighborhood implodes.
As for population control, you'll want to get mods that stop townie and NPC regeneration. MATY should have what you're looking for.

I was thinking of townies and dublicated npc (since megahoods or uberhood as its called has 3 npc of each type) only.
The other sims will not be alllowed to have too many kids in that hood.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:24 AM
1000 is an old limit. It was increased with one of the EPs, if you have the UC you should be fine. My uber megahood has around 1500 character files I think? TBH, I have the old megahood. It's borked anyway. So I'm just going to play it to certain doom

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:29 AM
Simsfreq. I dont have the UC and probably going to get alot of hate for this: Ive the *taboo* version of all of EPs , but I dont think that would change the number of sims in the premade hoods.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:52 AM
I would like to point out that there is no such thing as a safe way to delete a character file. There are bad ways, and there are less bad ways, but they are all bad.

If you do absolutely want to do it any way, k6ka made a page about it on the wiki. But I'd wait until you actually have a problem, why corrupt to avoid a crash you don't know you'll get?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 12:29 PM
You might be interested in empty templates or simply removing templates as we are talking about in this thread: https://www.modthesims.info/show...9&goto=lastpost

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 12:39 PM
Here's a tutorial by Pooklet on how to install empty hood templates.
Inventor
#9 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
TBH, I have the old megahood. It's borked anyway. So I'm just going to play it to certain doom

Hehe, I like your spirit.. I'm going to do the same with mine. Wayyy too far attached to it and my sims.

By the way, how can you find out how many sims you actually have in your game, playable and non-playable? Is there anyway to find this on SimPe? I don't think i have more than 300 playables just yet.
Theorist
#10 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 2:25 PM
Open your Characters folder and look at the number of files.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 2:30 PM
They are numbered from 0 on up and look at the last one and add 1 to it and that is how many you have.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Inventor
#12 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 4:38 PM
Wow, thanks guys. I actually have 2086! Thought it was a lot less than that.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
EDIT
I was refering dead townies/npc. They will still have their characterfile after death, dont they? Thats what I was actuallly asking for. Removing these character files.The pachage file.

You can remove them sure, by simply deleting them. The problem is still that they cause corruption if you do. The only way to delete a sim file safely is to use the method described by Pescado and linked to in the second post. It makes no difference if the sim is dead.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 5:46 PM
I just meant that if you have the EP which increased the character limit then you're ok. I don't know which one it is, though. Nightlife perhaps? Somebody else might know. Anyway as said upthread, with the newer EPs, the character file limit is around 32,000. It would take a lot of playing to reach that. But no, you can't just go around deleting sims' character files, dead or alive.

There's an item, I think at MATY called the census tool. It allows you to see a breakdown of the sims in your hood by gender, aspiration and a couple of other things, it's interesting. You can see in the megahood that Maxis/EA were pretty sexist with their assigning of aspirations There's a clear correlation - family sims are most often female, and romance/fortune tend to be male aspirations.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:11 AM
To all of you:
Ive the mods/hacks that stop generating townies/npc AND the clean templates in my game, but the hood Im asking about it ALREADY have these amount sims in it (last time I checked 1150 character files). So the templates and notownieregen doesnt do me any favor for this existing hood does it?
(Ive the hood from this site called uberhood and have all preamades in it, but for my other hoods, they have been emptied. Long time ago, I borked up the hood because of the "population explotion" dilemma and thats why Im asking this question, because Ive re-installd that hood).

I know that Boolprop has a cheat (Npc and townie maker that looks like a gun I think?) that can remove townies/npc's but doesnt that corrupt the game?

Edit: Deleted the last question, maxon already answering it (was barely awake when I read the answers )
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:15 AM
Why are you wanting them removed so badly? You can have up to 32,000 sims. If you use the visitor controller you can ban townies and never see them again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Why are you wanting them removed so badly? You can have up to 32,000 sims. If you use the visitor controller you can ban townies and never see them again.

I edited my previous comment, but I want to reduce the number, because that was the reason that hood crashed. there were too many sims living in the hood. Now Ive the hood re-installed and trying to prevent that from happening again (IF its possible)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:25 AM
Are you on base game? if not as we have said that is not the reason for that hood to crash as we have said you can have 32 thousand sims before it becomes too much and you are no where near that amount. If you had a hood that would not load it would be due to hood corruption not too many sims. Hood corruption is a real problem with sims 2 as it's so easily done.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Are you on base game? if not as we have said that is not the reason for that hood to crash as we have said you can have 32 thousand sims before it becomes too much and you are no where near that amount. If you had a hood that would not load it would be due to hood corruption not too many sims. Hood corruption is a real problem with sims 2 as it's so easily done.

Playing this version: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=301194
(mainly to kill time and when not playing the hoods Im creating, so its not a big deal if its get corrupted, but it would fun to LEARN how to prevent it, because it crashed after I added most of the <safe> townies as playable)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:32 AM
That doesn't matter. Your profile says you are on Al so you can forget about the number of sims and start thinking about what you might have done to corrupt your hood so you can try and avoid it.

Did you move sims between hoods?
Move occupied lots (that includes graves) into the bin
Delete sims or graves. The delete all character cheat is especially bad, but fresh cas sim bin sims still count.
removed custom content that creates an NPC file such as a multi poly tech mods or moving animals or sims which are like statues or moving toys like a tricycle or flying remote control.
made a universal sim selectable like Grim, Crumplebutt, Social Worker etc.
Did you move in any NPC's that you shouldn't have? There is a list someplace, but a few do not have full character data.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:50 AM
I guess, I will try playing the hood normally then.

Its been at least a half year since I restarted it and was a noob about corruptions and modding so I cant really say 100% who I moved in. Only remember I moved in sims via the teleporter (but def. not the ones from default) so the townies with same surname would be part as a family. I might have added some of the service sims (the cheifs)...

Ever since that "noob" period, I started to learn how to prevent the game to crash so now Im now about a bit concious of creating a hood (legacy/build a city style) and have it corrupted and refuse to do anything risky. (Im using uber hood as a test hood, but its get annoying when it crash before you managed to play through the pre-made's generation)

But I definitly dont move them to other neighborhood, delete them via the bin, move in ripper/crumble bottom or move occupied/business owned lots (anymore).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:22 AM
I found the list http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...e_to_play_as%3F it says chefs are okay.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:35 AM
But lets say someone moved in the social worker, food judgers (npc with complete user data but the ones that you only have one of like Grim Ripper since I already know they corrupt the game) etc, isnt really realistic that a neighborhood get corrupted after a few hours gameplay?

I thought it take a longer time for corruptions to show up?
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:41 AM
Once you do something bad like moving in the social worker, your hood is corrupted, instantly. How long it takes for corruption to become visible and/or render your hood unplayable depends on your particular hood. It can show if within a day or two, or it can run along for several months. I believe Peni has gotten multiple years out of her corrupted hood, with careful management. But sooner or later all corrupted hoods become unplayable.

If you did something with the Grim Reaper, Mrs. Crumplebottom, or any other universal NPC, your whole installation is corrupted, and you will need to uninstall and reinstall to get rid of the corruption. Any new hood you make using that corrupted install will come pre-corrupted, right out of the box.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:47 AM
emeiolanthe:
Break dancers, Human statues, Social Workers, Witch Doctors are similare npc are the ones that i have added to the hood in the past, but I do know the universal sims cannot be added. (but I have heard rumors its safe to let sims bear children by Grim Ripper?)
Page 1 of 2