Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 8:43 PM
Kelly and Kim are both unisex names, so you're fine. Kevin and Tim, well, they're feminine in your neighborhood now, aren't they?
But how do you get confused? The name option says Baby Boy/Baby Girl right there.

Trent and Tammy Traveller Hart had cheesecake and now I need twin names that start with T. The boy is easy - Thomas. I could call a girl Tomas or Thomasina, but I think Trent would want to distinguish them more. And of course it might be two boys, or two girls. But that's why I have baby name books.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 11:30 PM
Probably a lack of concentration as well as general impatience to start making Sims do the things I want them to do after birth. I am trying to improve that part of naming babies quite seriously here! The problem comes when it says Baby Girl - and you start to type - and then you are not sure if it was baby girl or baby boy since somebody has phoned/sent an e-mail/knocked on the door - or you are just trying to remember if you gave this name to another baby already, which means going to look at a list (which is not always up to date . Of course, these days, with the blender, I can change them quite easily - but sometimes it is just interesting to have a female Kevin around
(Thabita coomes to mind).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Trent and Tammy Traveller Hart had cheesecake and now I need twin names that start with T. The boy is easy - Thomas. I could call a girl Tomas or Thomasina, but I think Trent would want to distinguish them more. And of course it might be two boys, or two girls. But that's why I have baby name books.

Reminds me of the raccoon/tanuki twin shopkeepers in Animal Crossing, Timmy and Tommy.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#54 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
although I sometimes give the name to wrong twin and had girls called Kevin and Tim and boys called Kelly and Kim

I found out the hard way that twins can be same sex. I thought it was always boy and girl, one of each, so when Henry and Martzia Clunge had twins, I just used the names I'd already chosen beforehand. First I was prompted to name Baby Boy, so he got called Martin, and then I was prompted to name the other one who was obviously going to be the Baby Girl so I called her Harriet.

It wasn't until they hit the toddler stage that I realised that Harriet was also a boy.
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by saturnian
I found out the hard way that twins can be same sex. I thought it was always boy and girl, one of each, so when Henry and Martzia Clunge had twins, I just used the names I'd already chosen beforehand. First I was prompted to name Baby Boy, so he got called Martin, and then I was prompted to name the other one who was obviously going to be the Baby Girl so I called her Harriet.

It wasn't until they hit the toddler stage that I realised that Harriet was also a boy.

Oh, that made me laugh out loud. So funny.
Instructor
#56 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 12:47 AM
for some people who got confussed by: a baby girl and baby boy i can relate it to that
when i just started playing sims years ago i was confussed by that letter too but i also got confussed by an symbol from it (expect my game is dutch so the name option was: son/daughter but who cares )
now i know the symbol mars is from boys and the symbol venus from girls (or however you call that) just incase i get doubts about the name option

i had that one time when i named the kid: daughter, by accident or the time i was naming a girl one of a boysnames and a boy one of a girlsnames (i can't seems to remember which one i was naming them) oops

anyway i use that kinds of links when i don't know any names on my sims:

http://www.jongensenmeisjesnamen.nl/ (i know it's dutch but this link means boysandgirlsnames just incase you were wondering or get any doubts )

http://www.allebabynamen.nl/meisjesnamen/l (that means allbabynames in dutch)

https://www.geboortekaartjes.nl/ i know it's all dutch so don't blame me but i use that kinds of links

but sometimes i also use youtube when i need to know what the name of a sim was again so i could name it after them (weird but true)

i can't think of any other links though but i did once searched an japanese names for my sims

but sometimes some things just comes out of my mind so unexpected and give the sims a weird/stupid name, i remember naming a boy: ericano (i don't think this name is in english or in dutch, that's for sure )
Scholar
#57 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 10:44 AM Last edited by Emerald1234 : 23rd Dec 2017 at 11:47 AM.
i use behind the name a lot although i'll sometimes decide on a name myself

sometimes i use the genderswapped names of their parents if they are premades

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#58 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 12:08 PM
Recently I stopped using a generator and started thinking of ones out of my head. And since English is not my mother tongue, and for the other reason to different premade sims/townies from my own, I name them by own language. I might end up running out of names to name newborns, so I eventually might need to use the name generators again.
Alchemist
#59 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 8:49 PM
I recall similar threads in the past; not sure if they were this site, other sites, or both.

I often use a name book when naming a sim baby. and like another poster, I often plan the names ahead of time.

most of the names contain the first 2 letters of parents first or last names.
exception:: Veronaville; I pick Shakespeare names for their children.
Scholar
#60 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister

Though sometimes I go with puns (e.g. Glass Beaker)

I have a Glass Beaker! Alien child of Loki. She did get married and became Glass Curious (married Crice and Vidcund's son).

As for how I pick, name generators or just whatever comes in my head. My last two born twin boys were Nick and Mike due to laziness

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
I have a Glass Beaker! Alien child of Loki. She did get married and became Glass Curious (married Crice and Vidcund's son).

As for how I pick, name generators or just whatever comes in my head. My last two born twin boys were Nick and Mike due to laziness

Glass Beaker is the daughter of Loki and Circe. When Loki has his alien twins, I plan to name them Griffin and Berzelius (which sound vaguely masculine, but are just ambiguous enough to work with either gender combination).

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 7:46 AM
I keep a word doc of names I like/find interesting, for general writing purposes. It's freaking enormous, I've had it for at least 5 years and I just throw everything in there. At first I thought I was going to take this opportunity to use some of my favorite names from it, but I found I started naming my sims just based on what I thought the parents would like and what sounded good with the last name (sometimes paying attention to heritage). So some have names that I actually really like, and others I'm not a huge fan of. Right now I'm playing a dysfunctional couple where one just achieved rock god status and the other is in entertainment, so clearly this calls for really absurd names.

I'll sometimes name them by theme, as well. Right now I have a Bird legacy because that gives plenty of options. Founder Mynah, then Raven, Rosefinch (he was pink and it seemed somehow less absurd than Flamingo), and Wren, then Sora, Dunlin, and Ibis.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 12:40 AM
Sometimes I just get brain-lock and name Grigowasi or Stinkypo, or just leave them as Baby Boy1 &2, until they reach an age where they have some personality that gives me an idea.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#64 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 5:01 AM
For me it depends on the family and the neighborhood. Veronaville always uses a lot of Italian names, and one of my current hoods uses a lot of Hispanic names because it's based on southern New Mexico. But particular families also have particular names. In one of my biggest, now mostly retired hoods, I had several families that had distinct sets of names. The Cornwells were particularly weird: they started with both Scottish and Anglo-Germanic names, but as their family developed its own history and story in the neighborhood, they liked to give their children imperial, regal names, and different subsets of the family had their own preference, so there were Russian, Roman, and Greek names in addition to a scattering of random ones from western civ: Cyrus, Cleopatra, Constantine, Darius, Sargon, etc. The "king" of the family was named Caesar, of course. Another family in the neighborhood always named itself after scientists; one family with a scholarly and spiritual feel used medieval saints (Thomas, Ambrose, Augustus)...my favorite family used 'odd' names that I think were mostly English: Horatio, Phineas, Mortimer, Basil, Hiram. That same neighborhood also had four families using Arabic names, and one using Persian...the neighborhood itself was a post-apocalyptic scenario in which the city-state was one of the few areas that had re-established and maintained rule of law, so it was popular with immigrants, particularly merchants.

My Sims are also traditional, so they re-use family names a lot. The Greens, for instance, had a LOT of Elizabeths and Margarets -- ditto for the Cornwells and Isabella. (Actually, "Isabella", "Elizabeth", and "Joan" are probably my most-used names for female Sims, period.)
Scholar
#65 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 11:57 AM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 26th Dec 2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: "a" escaped
I have once managed to give a Sim a misgendered name, purely down to my methods for choosing baby names...

On my computer, there are two spreadsheet files, one called SimGirlNames and the other SimBoyNames. Each has about 14,000 names I've obtained over the years - mostly from English and Scottish census information (there are pages where all baby names used by at least 10 babies are recorded), but also a cluster names from Italy, France, Finland, India, Japan and various other places (including names I've only seen as nicknames). These names were not necessarily selected for beautiful meanings (though where I have them, they're listed), nor for specific meaning attached to one particular one. Generally, if I like one name in a list, I end up copying-and-pasting the lot "just in case".

Now, some of my baby Sims have the list consulted for a specific meaning (Rashida-Labana Logarint was named that way because I wanted at least one name implying the power of a divinity, and that pair of names jumped at me as being "hers"). Others have specific conventions (descendents of Widespot Sims frequently have punny names, often even if they have a non-Widespotian surname, because new surnames to pun with are cool) or cultural rules (Sims born in Alegnia Viaduct to a family which follows that subhood's cultural norms take the first five letters of a parent is the same gender as them, assuming there is one).

However, the majority of Sims will have their name selected by the following convention:

- Check the names of both parents (if these are known and it is a circumstance where the parent not giving birth is likely to acknowledge the child as specifically theirs - so alien births to a single parent, for example, are named whatever the Sim parent likes).

For example, let's say Leonard and Griselda Pascoe are expecting another child (which I believe is happening in my game, though Griselda hasn't even had morning sickness yet).

- Check the birth order.

Leonard and Griselda already have two children in my game, so the child (or the first of the children, if a multiple birth) will be the third child. Adopted children count as births for this purpose, whether the game acknowledges the adoption or not).

- For a girl's name, count letters from the start of the mother's name until the birth order number occurs. This is the first letter.
- Then count letters from the end of the non-mother's name until the birth order number occurs. This is the last letter.

So, if female, this child would be named I___a. This is because I is the third letter in Griselda's name and A is the last-but-two letters in Leonard's name.

- If a boy's name is to be given, count letters from the start of the non-mother's name until the birth order occurs to get the first letter.
- The count letters from the end of the mother's name, until the birth order number occurs, to get the last letter.

So, if male, this child would be named O___l. This is because O is the third letter in Leonard's name and L is the last-but-two letters in Griselda's name.

- Find a potentially-appropriate name for each pattern, and choose between them.

For example, candidate names for a girl might be Iona, Imelda and Imanuela. Candidate names for a boy might be Oll, Oriol and Orrell. I'm not at the computer with the names spreadsheets, so doubtless there would be more options there.

- I tend to have two provisional names for each gender pre-prepared before the birth (preparing for all situations involving single or twin births). My game has Triplets and Quadruplets installed as a mod, so sometimes that's insufficient, but I only worry about that situation if and when necessary.

In this case, to pre-prepare the second pair of names, I'd need to decide appropriate names for the 4th child of the happy couple, as well as the 3rd.

For a girl, that would give a pattern of G___n. Possible candidates include Gudrun, Gwen and Galene.

For a boy, the pattern would be N___e. Possible candidates include Nate, Noiise (yes, I called a Sim that once upon a time, so it's a legitimate choice in SimHampton now ) and Nace.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, explaining why this causae me a misgendering issue. Apart from me occasionally pasting a name into the wrong gender's spreadsheet (which, when happening, I tend to fix, leaving a copy in the "incorrect" spreadsheet of any that I think might work for both girls and boys), there was one occasion where I did all the testing... ...and only realised when the child was two Sim days old that I'd had the wrong spreadsheet open at the time of his birth, leading to him being named Doreen. I renamed him, but left Doreen as a middle name.
Instructor
#66 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 9:09 PM
I don't have any rules about it--just what sounds interesting to me. I once had a boy named Creosote, lol

I've got one family with the kids named after birds--Partidge, Pigeon, Sparrow, Hawk, and Jay Blue.

But for alien babies, I name them after stars or space names or constellations, like Astro, Callisto, Lyra, Vega, Pluto--stuff like that.
Theorist
#67 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 10:19 PM
The only real rule I have with naming adorable sim larvae is that I try to give them the sort of names their parents would give them. Conservative parents give their children traditional names, rednecks give their children hick names artist often give their children extravagant names etc.

Sometimes I arrange them in sets for fun and as long as it wouldn't seem too much out of place.

As I wrote in another thread the only family that has a strong tradition with names is the Goth family; girls are named after characters from Greco-Roman myth or mythological famme fatales, boys are named after protagonists from Gothic and Victorian literature and also sometimes characters from Greco-Roman myth.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 28th Dec 2017 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sailorleontine6
for some people who got confussed by: a baby girl and baby boy i can relate it to that
when i just started playing sims years ago i was confussed by that letter too but i also got confussed by an symbol from it (expect my game is dutch so the name option was: son/daughter but who cares )
now i know the symbol mars is from boys and the symbol venus from girls (or however you call that) just incase i get doubts about the name option :D
I have to assume the other languages were translated similarly to the English version, but it's possible to get the original "baby boy" or "baby girl" text back by pressing CTRL-Z (a universal Windows "undo" key sequence). I happen to have a finger hovering over "`", which pauses the game, most of the time and every so often I'll press that when the game is on the naming screen.

Also, I like to use the name lists from Behind the Name (already mentioned by several others), every so often when I really don't know what name to use I'll open one of the lists and open random.org to give me a number between 1 and 1000 and I use whatever it picks.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 12:30 AM Last edited by marimisawa : 1st Jan 2018 at 12:41 AM.
If there's a family naming theme, I like to keep it (eg. Goth men's names ending in "er/or/ur" and Goth women's names ending in "a", or families in Veronaville having Shakespearean names). Sometimes I like having a letter theme (all sons have names beginning with the same letter as their mother's name, and daughters have the same starting letter as their father's name).

With some families, like the Delarosas or the Greenmen, I'll use plant/flower names. Another theme I've had recently is Tara Kat's children having cat themed names - Felicia is named after the character Felicia Hardy/Black Cat from Marvel Comics and also sounds like "feline", Blake is named after Blake Belladonna from RWBY (despite being a boy), and Catherine is named so because she could have "Kitty" as a nickname. If she and Darren have another baby, I'll name it Selina if it's a girl (after Catwoman/Selina Kyle from DC Comics) or Adrien if it's a boy (after Chat Noir from Miraculous Ladybug).

Other times, I just pick random names that I think of or name babies after characters from shows I've been watching recently.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#70 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 12:45 AM
Since I'd rather not type them all, here's a screenshot of the birth records in my spreadsheet (filtered to show only the infants of premade Sims). I usually went with what names I felt the Sims would prefer, though I kept theme naming in a few instances.

Instructor
#71 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:27 AM
when i don't know which one i wanna name it, i look it up on internet but like i said earlier: when i have a weird/stupid name in my head i wanna name it after it to the baby/babies
but sometimes when i was younger i did named a baby after a anime

i remember me naming a girl a boysname and a boy a girlsname oops (i just don't know which one it was since it was 2 years or so ago i had that)
i also once named a girl daughter by accident

but luckily me nobody was watching me searching for boysnames and girlsnames or my friends/family are gonna ask if i expect a baby
sometimes i wanna name my sims after their great-grandparents (sometimes i name a sims after one of the sims 2 series )
Scholar
#72 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 12:31 AM
My only real "rule" that spans all hoods is that alien babies have names that belong to celestial objects/phenomena - prime examples would be naming twin boys Phobos and Deimos, or a girl Andromeda.

A legacy might have a naming rule that only applies to the legacy line; my BACC family had a system where all the children of a generation used the same first letter, moving in alphabetical order, along with the fact that the girls were named after something in nature: Acacia, Brooke, Cherry, Daisy etc. This was in keeping with the family hobby, as well as the intention of a matriarchal lineage.

Otherwise, with a few specific exceptions, I'll go with whatever name I think of when a baby comes along, although I do try to choose something I've not used before in that particular hood. This doesn't always work, particularly where boys are concerned; I have real trouble coming up with a boy's name at the drop of a hat!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 1:27 AM Last edited by Rosawyn : 11th Jan 2018 at 1:41 AM.
As many others have said, I try to pick names that I think the parent sims would pick for their children. I also try for the most part to go with names that fit the culture and ethnicity of the parents/extended family, and I love picking names that honour family members (aunts, grandparents, ect). https://www.behindthename.com/ is my first stop for names (and I've found since starting to play the game windowed it's so much easier to check the site as needed!).

Here's a list I've made of the babies in my Four Corners-Bitville and my Sedona: names list. It includes not yet born babies for whom I've already settled on a name (I also have notes in Google docs for babies where I have not yet settled on a name). Babies with only one listed parent are all alien babies (Akash, Ayelet, Bareil, Delenn, Isaiah, Moishe, Najm, Zechariah), and there is something of a theme there in that nearly every name is related to space/stars/aliens in some way (the only exceptions being Isaiah and Zechariah, because Aaron wasn't exactly feeling the theme).

I like to use maiden names for babies, though usually altered in some way. The child of Naomi Moore (Hunt) and Vincent Moore is Hunter Moore, as an obvious example. The child of Agora Tchotchke and Greg Tchotchke (Chomsky) is Skyler Tchotchke, as a somewhat less obvious one (the first three letters of Skyler "sky" are from the last three letters of Chomsky).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 2:05 AM
I often like to use the Namehunter for inspiration. I put in parents' and relatives' names and it usually comes up with a few decent options

Mad Poster
#75 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I often like to use the Namehunter for inspiration. I put in parents' and relatives' names and it usually comes up with a few decent options

Played around with that a bit just now and found far too often it says the name was not recognized...or even if it does recognize a name, "we haven't found any recommendations." Guess my "inspiration" names were just too out there.
Page 3 of 3