Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 3:47 PM
Default When will people start adding "Bustin' Out" Items to Sims 2? now that the models are available
I was wondering about this for a while, the models for a majority of the items have been freely available for a while (thanks to the efforts of "Bowser T Koopa" and his porting them to G-Mod) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...s/?id=503329071

I know im not the only one who would enjoy having the classic Bustin out items to expand Sims 2's default ones (I personally prefer lore friendly items as opposed to real world items in my game) plus there are items that didnt carry over such as the bar, pulse shower, love jacuzzi, sleep chamber, etc.
Advertisement
#2 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 3:53 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say unless you want pure deco items it's going to be awhile. the sizes have to be altered probably and the animated objects are going to take work
#3 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:10 PM
I just noticed that it looks like these objects are in sims 3???? judging by the background so did someone already import the models to 3? That would make converting to 2 easier as most of the kinks would have been worked out.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:19 PM
Oooh, interesting!

The objects have been converted for Gmod, which as a Source Engine game should use the SMD format. This means they should be easily importable to Milkshape. But like HarVee said, they will very probably need texture improvement and mesh tweaks.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:32 PM
yea, I will agree that the textures may need a bit of work aswell as the mesh for a number of them. but on the positive side, atleast they are accessable also it seems like the guy even converted the unlockable vehicles too

here is a list of stuff that he posted on his page

#6 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:37 PM
I really liked the clothing options in bustin out I wonder if they can be converted as well even if it's only texture extraction we probably have enough similar meshes to put them on by now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
I really liked the clothing options in bustin out I wonder if they can be converted as well even if it's only texture extraction we probably have enough similar meshes to put them on by now.

from seeing the "Dudly head option" that someone ported from SBO to Sims 2. I would not be surprised if it was possible
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 5:35 PM
Someone made the Sonic Shower already...I have it. I don't remember where I got it but it is available to get.

But I personally would love the hologram game system and the virtual reality headset as well as the love tub and the TV that folds out to nine screens!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
#9 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 5:46 PM
Only sonic shower i could find was from here by Atavera, but it's from 07 so i doubt it's the same thing.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 11:20 PM
I very much doubt that textures from a PS2 game will look good on a modern computer, even if the outfits could be converted.

Those beds look extremely low quality compared to the TS2 items, for example. Just 3D versions of some Sims 1 beds. Some of the stuff in the big pile looks cool, I wouldn't mind a deco ping pong table. But 12 year old items, at this point, which were designed to look good on 2002 television screens? Nope. They are not going to convert smoothly to modern computer monitors.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
But 12 year old items, at this point, which were designed to look good on 2002 television screens? Nope. They are not going to convert smoothly to modern computer monitors.

From Wikipedia: The Sims 2 is a 2004 strategic life simulation video game.

So the textures shouldn't be any worse.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

at the most they would either be between 512x512 or 256x256 depending on what the model is... at the very least it would be 128x128 maybe 64x64 for something small and less detaled (the plates of food come to mind)

I have a feeling that the bed textures are 128x128 which seems to work for most of the simple patterns in the screenshot above. only place where it doesnt look right is of the childrens bed due to the texture pattern that is used (even then, you have to keep in mind that it is deformed in the screen due to the bed being "unmade" for lack of a better term)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

That's not entirely accurate since the game was developed further to 2008 and the texture quality in the later packs is much better than in the base game. Having said that, even graphics from 2008 are still not great on today's machines.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 11:51 AM
Yeah, a lot of the base game textures, particularly for clothing and hair, are horrible.

Secondly, Bustin' Out was a console game. Console games are designed to be shown on television screens, not PC monitors. These days, there's not much difference, but 15 years ago, TVs were a very different beast. I used to work developing graphics for PC and TV screens in 2007/8. Even then, we used way lower resolution, crunchier graphics for the TVs, even flatscreen TVs, because TVs blurred things somewhat. You had completely different things to think about. It was beginning to change as high definition was coming in but that was in its infancy. In 2002, it wasn't really thought of in that way. Additionally, advice at the time was not to use consoles attached to large screen TVs, because it was thought that this could damage them. (I have no idea why, in hindsight.) This was particularly for tube TVs and plasma screens but people applied it across the board (plus, LCD and LED screens were not widely available.) So making console games look good on huge displays was not a priority, as most people were playing them on what we would think of today as small screens.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
#15 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 1:07 PM
Everyone kind of seems to be missing a point here regarding texture quality. Though I think the OP might need to reach out to this guy/girl and ask if this is indeed the case as i'm stating below.

Those screenshots look to be of the models as they're seen ported to SIMS3 and IN GAME. If that's the quality of them in there I don't see a major difference in how they'll look in sims 2 considering most of the conversions of sims 3 items look fairly similar to their appearance in 3.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 2:50 PM
The sims bustin out has a good range of clothing options and customization options, it would be nice if someone could port those or re-create them or something. The objects seem very dated though even games like Timesplitters, UT2004 and even Half-life have better textures than that
Field Researcher
#17 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 5:14 PM
Everyone kind of seems to be missing a point here regarding texture quality. Though I think the OP might need to reach out to this guy/girl and ask if this is indeed the case as i'm stating below.

Those screenshots look to be of the models as they're seen ported to SIMS3 and IN GAME. If that's the quality of them in there I don't see a major difference in how they'll look in sims 2 considering most of the conversions of sims 3 items look fairly similar to their appearance in 3.

Nope, the screenshots are from G-Mod which is built on the Source engine.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 5:19 PM
I tell you what though, it's given me a hankering to load up the Wii and stick Bustin' Out on for a bit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mousedroidz21
The sims bustin out has a good range of clothing options and customization options, it would be nice if someone could port those or re-create them or something. The objects seem very dated though even games like Timesplitters, UT2004 and even Half-life have better textures than that

indeed it would be nice. I don't really like the default outfits in TS2. A hoodie with baggy Jeans is a more desired style for me. which was only a choice in Bstin out
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
The TV and resolutions at the time no relevant in terms of why textures need improving or rather recreating. PlayStation 2 only had 32MB of RDRAM with a 299Mhz processor. Specifics like that could handle maybe 192x192 textures at highest.

I do console game modding (PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, PSP, etc). and I can tell you that PS2 does have the ability to display higher resolution textures not going over 1 meg. Resident Evil Outbreak for example uses a combination of 256x256 & 128x128 for its ingame characters, cutscene characters are about 512x512ish as they are ususally a higher quality. distant models (what I call LoD aka Level of Detail) are generally 64x64 or whatever smaller texture size they can be to save vram.

We could always bring the the Dreamcast aswell, which was fairly weaker than the PS2 but had an amazing graphical quality to it and native 640x480 resolution output

http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/vi...php?f=13&t=8829

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4DN97fiCo

a bit of detail on texture quality on dreamcast, including Normal Mapping support. now as you can imagine, the PS2 supports all (except normal mapping) of this aswell as it has stronger hardware.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 4:39 PM
Only sonic shower i could find was from here by Atavera, but it's from 07 so i doubt it's the same thing.

It works great, though. It might do for now.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#22 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90
I tell you what though, it's given me a hankering to load up the Wii and stick Bustin' Out on for a bit.

I'm suffering. My PS2 broke
Alchemist
#23 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 8:02 AM
Bustin Out has a big place in my heart and I would even be willing to pay to have Bustin Out items in my game

what does his name even mean?
Field Researcher
#24 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
I'm suffering. My PS2 broke

If you have the disc, you could always emulate the game on your computer with PCSX2.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 9:41 PM
I wonder when a Sims 2 modder will take a gander at the page?
Page 1 of 2