Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 2:59 AM Last edited by Shadowstroem : 12th Apr 2012 at 3:40 AM.
So I followed the guide step by step, the front and back doors of the npc apartments are enclosed in a fenced yard and have public room markers while the apartments themselves have hidden room markers...and I don't get the 'Assign NPC' mode to it. The apartments are hidden like noted, etc, I just can't move anyone in.

**Edit: Yes, both doors in each unit are enclosed. I've checked eight times. I've also tried deleting the back door on one of the units and clicking and it still didn't work. The apartment is a very simple tri-plex with three studio one-bathroom apartments. They have a french sliding door on a small (fenced) patio in the back and a simple door onto a larger front yard, all enclosed. There are hidden room markers in each of the two apartments and their respective bathrooms, and public markers on the common area of the triplex as well as on each patio and in each yard. I added trash chutes, a callbox, and the wall mailbox to see if that helped and it didn't. At this point I'm more or less at a lost and nothing before has been really helpful so far with this particular issue.

Could it be an issue with my CC?

I only have the Woohooer, a few outfits, the nosparkles mod, the no intro video mod, and now the wall mailbox/trash chute mod.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 8:53 PM
in a two story apartment are you able to have walls the height of 1 3/4? like a foundation size as the first floor.
Test Subject
#103 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 3:36 AM
Can I make NPC apartments on community lots, like over an art gallery?
Test Subject
#104 Old 31st May 2012 at 12:40 PM Last edited by adinda1987 : 31st May 2012 at 2:36 PM.
He,

got a question: can you add multiple families to one apartment complex? I mean, like you had in The Sims 2 that you can place more families into the complex instead of one that we have now?

Also, another question. I build an apartment complex from scratch and now I want to use the NPC door-trick. But...all the doors have this option except the door next to the apartment of my sim. Instead the door of my sims apartment is given the option to add the NPC and front door but the door next to the apartment isn't given the option NPC door only front door which I don't want. The whole apartment next to my sim is empty, like any other NPC apartment in my complex.

Now all the NPC's are walking into my room and I can't send them away as it gives the apartment is not mine. Can't even add lights etc. :s
Has somebody any clue what I need to do or is there a limited NPC-door?
Mad Poster
#105 Old 31st May 2012 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adinda1987
He,

got a question: can you add multiple families to one apartment complex? I mean, like you had in The Sims 2 that you can place more families into the complex instead of one that we have now?

Also, another question. I build an apartment complex from scratch and now I want to use the NPC door-trick. But...all the doors have this option except the door next to the apartment of my sim. Instead the door of my sims apartment is given the option to add the NPC and front door but the door next to the apartment isn't given the option NPC door only front door which I don't want. The whole apartment next to my sim is empty, like any other NPC apartment in my complex.

Now all the NPC's are walking into my room and I can't send them away as it gives the apartment is not mine. Can't even add lights etc. :s
Has somebody any clue what I need to do or is there a limited NPC-door?

First bit, you can only have one active family living on each apartment lot.

Second bit, have you made sure to mark all of the public areas with Public Area markers and NPC rooms with Private Room markers?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#106 Old 31st May 2012 at 2:52 PM Last edited by adinda1987 : 31st May 2012 at 3:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
First bit, you can only have one active family living on each apartment lot.

Second bit, have you made sure to mark all of the public areas with Public Area markers and NPC rooms with Private Room markers?

Yup I did, I even changed the building next to the apartment of my sims so the whole building is empty (no walls and floors, only the oudside walls with windows and a front door and back door which is leading to the yard that's also closed in)

I added a screenshot of the place. I need to NPC the door on the left, the apartment which is empty but it doesn't give me that option.

EDIT: I think I know what I did wrong...I also placed public 'ball' in the apartment where my sims are living =) I think that's wrong!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#107 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 10:55 PM
Default Puzzling Apartment Garden Problem
Hello there, I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to build an apartment block, with four units, each with it's own garden. I thought things were working fine, until an NPC suddenly appeared in my playable family's back garden, at their back door. There is no gate in the back garden.

I then noticed all the ground floor outdoor foundations seem to be linked, even though they are enclosed and separated by walls (I've used the 'Bi-partisan Wall'), so for example when I change the tiles on the different garden foundations while holding down the Shift key, all the outdoor tiles change.

In the images below, the rooms with the green tiles are HIDDEN, the brown tiles inside are PUBLIC, and the grey tiles show my sims usable apartment. I hope you can see where the red outside tiles have been changed to yellow.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is make my sims garden private and separate from the rest of the building.

Hope I haven't made this more complicated that it actually is!!

Many thanks!!

P.S and I really hope my screenshots show up - not done this before.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#108 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 3:14 AM
Have you tried removing the public balls from the other apartment yards? It's possible you've marked them as public (guessing) and where the foundation and fence meet isn't really creating a connecting boundary.
Test Subject
#109 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Have you tried removing the public balls from the other apartment yards? It's possible you've marked them as public (guessing) and where the foundation and fence meet isn't really creating a connecting boundary.

Ah! isn't it? I didn't know that. I will remove the public markers and see if I can cheat it in some way. Thanks so much!
Test Subject
#110 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 9:48 PM
How do you edit the outside of an apartment. because says home association will not allow that. Is there a way to bypass so i can change things outside my apartment?
Mad Poster
#111 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dreamanjel
How do you edit the outside of an apartment. because says home association will not allow that. Is there a way to bypass so i can change things outside my apartment?

Enter the cheat "testingCheatsEnabled true" and then enter the cheat "rbbb false".
This should remove any building restrictions on the lot.

Test Subject
#112 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 7:46 AM Last edited by hikari_mochi : 24th Jun 2012 at 8:17 AM.
hi!!
i want to ask if there is some way to choose sims we want to move on the other unit not used by our sim?? or is the other unit only for npc's?? this apartment is sort of a family compound/duplex where i can let my sims' relatives live on the other unit even if i don't really play them.. is this possible?
i hope someone will say something about this, i noticed that no one bothered to reply to these two posts related to my question..

i also have this paint version of my supposed to be apartment for my sims.
(i already placed the mailbox on one of the walls of the octagon room, the one for apartments)

idk why i can't select the door at the left to be for npc.. there are those other options from ctrl = shift click but no 'make npc door' option.. as i saw in other apartments, the octagon space (sort of public living room) can act still like a lobby of some sort, right? (btw, the whole place is on a foundation)
should i select it during live mode, when my sim has already moved in?
Mad Poster
#113 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hikari_mochi
hi!!
i want to ask if there is some way to choose sims we want to move on the other unit not used by our sim?? or is the other unit only for npc's??

Other apartments can only be lived in by NPCs. The only way to have your Sims living in them would be if you can somehow turn them into NPCs. You can have no control over Sims "living" in other rooms at any time.

i also have this paint version of my supposed to be apartment for my sims.
(i already placed the mailbox on one of the walls of the octagon room, the one for apartments)

[image snip]

idk why i can't select the door at the left to be for npc..

You can't select it because you have placed the wrong room marker inside. You need a Public Room marker in the shared common room in the middle, and you need a Hidden Room marker for the NPC room. The way you have it set up at the moment is telling the game that ALL Sims on the lot should have access to that room as well as the middle one.

Test Subject
#114 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Other apartments can only be lived in by NPCs. The only way to have your Sims living in them would be if you can somehow turn them into NPCs. You can have no control over Sims "living" in other rooms at any time.

You can't select it because you have placed the wrong room marker inside. You need a Public Room marker in the shared common room in the middle, and you need a Hidden Room marker for the NPC room. The way you have it set up at the moment is telling the game that ALL Sims on the lot should have access to that room as well as the middle one.

too bad for the other unit, would be really useful for my other sims.. :p
and about the hidden room marker thing, i think this part of the sims wiki tutorial is a little confusing?? XD
anyway, thanks so much for the help!!
Mad Poster
#115 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 7:51 PM
too bad for the other unit, would be really useful for my other sims.. :p
and about the hidden room marker thing, i think this part of the sims wiki tutorial is a little confusing?? XD
anyway, thanks so much for the help!!

That bit is to trick the game into allowing a NPC door when the door leads to an outdoor area that isn't enclosed by a wall or fence. For instance, if you want other apartment doors to go straight out onto the street and not into a common area.
Buzzler actually has a fix for that available here on MTS that means you don't need to use that trick.

Test Subject
#116 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 2:58 AM
Default I STILL CANNOT GET IT TO WORk
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
This tutorial is located on the wiki.

Tutorials:TS3_Sims_3_Apartmentswiki

i read through the complete wiki and this whole thread and my apartment still wont give me the npc option

i have hidden room markers in all the other apartments. they are closed in by hallways marked with public markers. and still i only get the "LOCK" option.
Mad Poster
#117 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 3:44 PM
Are you remembering to Shift-click on the doors?

Lab Assistant
#118 Old 19th Jul 2012 at 5:27 PM
Residents falling into NPC apartments!
I have playable resident sims falling into an NPC apartment one floor below.

The building is a 5-story block, two flats per level. Stairs only, no lifts. There are seven NPC doors and one main door to a furnished playable flat on the second level.

Public spaces include a car park on ground level, all the staircase hallways and the whole flat roof (b-b-q for them grown-ups and sandbox for the sprogs).

Symptom: Every family that moves in has at least one sim falling into the NPC flat below, where it gets trapped and will eventually starve. I notice they're trapped when a pop-up says "So & So is late for work/school" and reset it, but they tend to teleport back into the void!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Test Subject
#119 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 8:27 PM
Default Public/Hidden Room Markers
Hello,

I am having an issue within my own constructed apartment unit.
I have placed a 'Public Room Maker' outside every front door, each of which is contained within a fence with a gate. (Refer to screenshots)

I have placed 'Hidden Room Markers' throughout the units (except the one my characters will be living in). They are located on the balconies, inside every room in the unit, as well as outside in the backyards. (Refer to screenshots)

My issue is this: All the doors have been able to turn into 'NPC Doors', except the one beside the fully furnished apartment. I am positive that I have enclosed the doors properly, but would like a second opinion on the matter. (Refer to screenshots)

Any help you could give me would be most helpful; thanks!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#120 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 8:55 PM
Hello,

Nevermind! I tried deleting the door and putting in a new door, and it was able to become an 'NPC Door'.
Thanks for your time anyways, and I hope this helps out people in the future .
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 8th Aug 2012 at 12:52 PM Last edited by dear_dori : 8th Aug 2012 at 1:42 PM.
Since a few days I cannot set NPC doors. At all. I checked ten times I did everything right, but the option to make a door an NPC door just won't pop up. The only option I get is "Object"->"delete". Existing NPC doors are working and NPCs can use them just fine, but I can't do anything with them either except deleting them.
I have testingscheatsenabled true, restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off, buydebug. I tried shift-click, shift+ctrl-click, and ctrl-click. I tried several buildings where I already had working NPC doors, deleted them, put a new door back in and tried to make it an NPC door again, nothing. For testing, a took a small lot, and built a 12x12 room, which I then divided into an 12x3 aisle with two 9x6 rooms next to it. Each of the two rooms has one door facing towards the aisle, which has one door to the outside. I put a pubic room marker in the aisle, a hidden room marker in one of the rooms, and none in the other. Got a sim move in an guess what! No NPC door option
I use the Any Game Starter, and a few days ago I unchecked Night Life in one of my games to try if it is true that you can build working appartments without the EP. That's when the problem started! I thought appartment building isn't possible without LN on, and reactiveted it - but the problem is still the same. I tried in an existing as well as in a fresh new save.
Might I have exploded somtheing in my install permamently? Or am I overlooking some simple detail?

Edit: I just tried with a completely new game (new setting in AGS) with all EPs and without mods or CC, and started Bridgeport. I typed in all the cheats and chose an existing household with one Sim in a highrise. First thing I did was shift-click on an existing NPC door, and HOORAY all the options were there, unmake NPC door and so on. So I divided the hidden room behind this door with a staight wall, copied the hidden room marker into the new apartment, and put a door to the new room. Went into play mode and tried to make the new door an NPC door, but ... no option Can only delete it. And now it gets interesting: On the original door the options are suddenly gone, too. They stayed gone when I deleted the new wall and door, and even when I exited without saving and started a new game in Bridgeport, all new and existing doors won't cooperate. What on Sim Earth have I messed up?
Test Subject
#122 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 4:10 PM
Hi there, I know that I can only have one playable family per apartment block. However, is there any way that I can control which NPC's live in the other apartments? For example, if I want a family of young females and want my NPC neighbours to be young males is there a cheat that would enable me to do this - such as an Nraas mod?
Test Subject
#123 Old 27th Aug 2012 at 11:52 PM
Default A question about the NPC doors
I must be stupid if i cant understand this right, but... ive tried my damned hardest to sort this out. ive built the whole of my building and ive moved in my household. ive marked my public rooms but as soon as i try to mark my NPC rooms im stuck. i have the testing cheats cheat on and ive placed a public marker inside a closed off room before you enter the apartment and on the other side of the door where the foyay is. I then go into Buy mode, hold down shift and ctrl. it seems i get every other option except the one i want. ive read this wiki over and over and still cannot seem to understand it... any helps?
Scholar
#124 Old 28th Aug 2012 at 1:49 PM
The Public Room marker does not go inside the NPC apartment, you need to use the Hidden Room marker in there.
Test Subject
#125 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 5:42 PM
I have npc spawning in the back corner of my pool area. It is fully fenced off and has a public space marker. So what is causing them to show up here?

All so I have many NPC's showing up to the front part of the lot and then they just fade out. Don't know why that is either.

There was a dog to that showed up but bugged out.All sims can go in and out of the gates with no problems.

Page 5 of 8