Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 9:20 PM
I need help!

I'm having my first go at making an apartment lot, I thought it would be cool to build a few little beach huts on the same lot, so that they weren't all part of the same building. I have the lot enclosed by a gated fence and each individual house has it's own little vestibule inside the main door to allow proper placement of the hidden/public markers. I'm pretty sure that I have done everything right but I still don't get the option to set a door as an NPC door. I've read thread after thread and the entire wiki article but I can't find anything to explain the problem I'm having. I'm probably missing something but by this point I'm so frustrated by it that I can't see straight. I have every expansion and stuff pack, as well as a load of mods and cc, so perhaps something there is affecting it, though I'm not sure why that would be the case.

If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
This tutorial is located on the wiki.

Tutorials:TS3_Sims_3_Apartmentswiki

I did what you said, but when I put sims on the lot, they say there is no door or they say its unroutable so they won't enter the apartment, they just stay outside. I don't understand!! I have set all the doors to NPC other than the door to the apartment I want to give them.

What do I do to make them be able to enter the room?

More info:
I have a fenced off area outside the bit I want them to go in and this area has a public room icon.
The apartment is a house on a foundation and the fenced off area is on the foundation.
The area I also made public that has the mailbox in is outside and not on a foundation, the sims also say there is no way in, but there is a door.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#128 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 4:24 PM
1551KANGA5115, a picture might help us to see the problem.
Test Subject
#129 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 4:06 AM Last edited by lolotte89 : 5th Jan 2013 at 4:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by 1551KANGA5115
I did what you said, but when I put sims on the lot, they say there is no door or they say its unroutable so they won't enter the apartment, they just stay outside. I don't understand!! I have set all the doors to NPC other than the door to the apartment I want to give them.

What do I do to make them be able to enter the room?

More info:
I have a fenced off area outside the bit I want them to go in and this area has a public room icon.
The apartment is a house on a foundation and the fenced off area is on the foundation.
The area I also made public that has the mailbox in is outside and not on a foundation, the sims also say there is no way in, but there is a door.

I think I had the exact same problem just the other day. Spent 2 full days building a townhouse for my sims attached to two other townhouses for npc's, added all the apartment hidden/public markers and moved in my sims to playtest, only to have my playable sims routefailing and stomping their feet about the front door, and the gate into the pool area.
I had a previous version of the apartments saved without any markers placed yet, and my sims went right into their apartment and through the gate to the pool, so I knew it was the markers and not something structural that was wrong. So I started adding the hidden and public room markers back in a few at a time with my sims living in the building, and tested it each time I added more.
Turns out the problem was that I had placed a hidden room marker in the attics of all three townhouses, which were not walled in, just had a gable roof built right on the floor of the attic, so to speak. I guess the game read that as the hidden marker just being outside or something, not in a room, so it thought my sims shouldn't be allowed to go through any doors outside, maybe? You might want to check and make absolutely sure you didn't place any hidden room markers out in the "open" (not entirely enclosed by WALLS, or fences your sim can't walk over, I guess) even if it's on the fourth floor of the building (floors or levels don't seem to make any difference)...
(Just a side note: It seems you don't have to have a ceiling over a "room" though, because I put hidden room markers in the back gardens of the npc townhomes, which are entirely enclosed by a tall fence and no gate, and I can still see everything in them, but my sims don't throw tantrums wanting to use or "view" that stuff, and I haven't had any issues with those hidden room markers in place.)
Test Subject
#130 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 11:39 AM
Default What about the bills?
Hi,
I´ve made an apartaments building, my unit is totally functional, I have plenty of NPCs living in their ap. (26 neighbours besides my household) I´ve got my unit to be an starter one, it cost under 11K and I have all the facilities of the public areas and everything is working, wanderfull, isn´t it? But when the bills arrived they were sky expensive ones, am I paying for all the public area´s expenses? how can I make the NPCs pay their share of the bills? I have a gym, a pool, a library, a garage and a dinner in the public areas and I have paid a 5.000 $ bill, is it normal?
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 6:28 PM
I'm late to the party, as per usual, but I wanted to know if I could put foundation on the penthouse level of an apartment shell in Late Night.

Someday, I want to work for EA so I can give The Sims franchise the jump-start kick in the ass it deserves.
Test Subject
#132 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 6:38 AM
Default Cheats Question
After I've made my apartment, do I turn the cheats off before I save (go to Edit Town mode- save neighborhood), or do I turn them off at all?

Thanks,
klingklang
Sockpuppet
#133 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 1:58 PM
Someone know how to assign the UL apartment lot type to a lot from an existing world without using CAW ?
Alchemist
#134 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 10:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kabuto
Someone know how to assign the UL apartment lot type to a lot from an existing world without using CAW ?

Doesn't Edit Town do the trick?
Sockpuppet
#135 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 9:58 PM
Sadly no !

Edit town can't create UL apartment and UL apartment lot in the lot bin can't do it .

The world lots must get UL apartment lot type assign to them.

That means you can assign it only if you create your own world.
Mad Poster
#136 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 10:02 PM
It's not like assigning a Dorm is it? For some reason dorms are classed as community lots, not residential as far as I am aware.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
#137 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 3:04 PM
In my game the option to switch a lot to an apartment can be found in the residential dropdown menu. I assumed that was part of the base game. But I do have many of Twallen's mods. So if the option is not there for you, you may want to check out NRass. I would assume it is the same mod that allows you to choose a base camp in the community dropdown list (Traveller).
dodgy builder
#138 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by klingklang
After I've made my apartment, do I turn the cheats off before I save (go to Edit Town mode- save neighborhood), or do I turn them off at all?

Thanks,
klingklang

You should always turn the cheats off before saving. It has happened that like moveobjects on has been saved on a lot I've made.

On the world and uni discussion, It wouldn't surprise me if the world export you're using needs to be made in a uni game. It looked that way with Seasons, but then there was a bunch of problems with Seasons. I can make a lot Dorm in CAW, but it has no effect on the EIG or beta stage as far as I can see. I don't have uni.
Sockpuppet
#139 Old 1st May 2013 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
It's not like assigning a Dorm is it? For some reason dorms are classed as community lots, not residential as far as I am aware.

Apartment lot is a subtype of Residential lot like Ownable Lot and Townie lot of EP1 World Aventures

Dorm, Fraternity and Soronity are subtype of Community lot.

Quote: Originally posted by danacnbrett
In my game the option to switch a lot to an apartment can be found in the residential dropdown menu. I assumed that was part of the base game. But I do have many of Twallen's mods. So if the option is not there for you, you may want to check out NRass. I would assume it is the same mod that allows you to choose a base camp in the community dropdown list (Traveller).

The option isn't available in Los Aniegos, I didn't try in another world.
Test Subject
#140 Old 5th May 2013 at 12:50 AM
Default Apartment Building
Ok .. So I followed all the instructions given from the sims 3 wiki on how to build an apartment building .. and thing is that I don't get the option to set the doors as NPC doors .. I have enclosed them with fences and all .. But still I get nothing .. How can I fix this ??

Screenshots:
(http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asse...ot_original.jpg)
(http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asse...ot_original.jpg)
Sockpuppet
#141 Old 12th May 2013 at 5:12 PM
I read in the SimsVIP guide (Screenshot below) : "When selecting any residential lot in Edit Town Mode, simply choose the new residential lot type from the drop down menu."

But this option is always grey and disabled (Second screenshot) for any empty lots, any existing lots in custom worlds and any existing lots in EA worlds.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to create an EP9 apartment ! University Life Limited Edition is ... limited or only english players are allowed to use this feature

Lab Assistant
#142 Old 13th May 2013 at 8:48 AM
I have no problem changing a residential lot to an apartment lot in my game. Do you have any hacks or mods that may be affecting it?
Sockpuppet
#143 Old 13th May 2013 at 11:45 AM Last edited by Kabuto : 13th May 2013 at 2:32 PM.
I found the problem, Apartment lots are not allowed in Downtown/City worlds.

That's why I can't use it in Los Aniegos (my current stories), my own worlds (my tests) and Bridgeport (my EA world tests).

It works in Suburb worlds like Moonlight Fall.

I didn't try the other world types : France, Egypt, China and University.
Mad Poster
#144 Old 13th May 2013 at 7:37 PM
I suspect then that it should be moddable to change that. Hopefully.

Test Subject
#145 Old 19th May 2013 at 11:13 PM
So, I'm trying to build my first high-rise penthouse; and I'm having trouble right at the first stage.

I've successfully (i.e. the cheat-entry-box went away, instead of reporting an error, after typing them) entered each of the requisite cheats (testingcheatsenabled, buydebug, moveobjects on, RestrictBuildBuyInBuildings off), but I'm still running into the following problem:

Immediately after placing the shell (I've tried this several times, with different shells), I *cannot draw walls on the ground-floor that intersect the shell itself*. Every tutorial I've seen has directed me to draw walls through the shell itself, then to place a front-door *in* that wall at the front of the shell. Trying to draw walls tells me "Cannot intersect objects."

There's no other objects on the lot, than the shell. Every cheat is enabled.
Mad Poster
#146 Old 20th May 2013 at 12:42 PM
You may need to draw the walls first and then place the shell.

Test Subject
#147 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:51 AM
Sims enter on my tree family?
Ok, here's the problem: The tutorial was excellent in the first attempt when I did my apartment 15 cubicles. I did everything the tutorial said, after i moved my family to this apartment i made, but I did not save on arrival.
My game jams and unfortunately had to leave and enter again, doing the same process: introducing Public Room Marker outside the rooms and the Hidden Room Marker inside the Rooms.

In the first attempt as I tried this tutorial, well done, the staff quickly got inside the apartment, before the game had jammed due to particular technical problems. But when I got back into the game and repeat the same process because I did not record the previous progress, I noticed that there were sims who entered the family tree of my family without ever having done them.
this is normal? Maybe it's a system error? They should be NPC's on the rooms, not being part of my family, and I now have two sims in my family tree by which I have deleted them... Imagine this if you don't understand the problem: its similar be the same thing as asking for roommates, when I didn't ordered one, lol.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:56 PM Last edited by kece : 22nd Aug 2013 at 6:57 AM.
I have created an apartment complex with 4 apartment figured I would have 1 or two available for NPC's and 1 available for my sims, The complex has an out door patio for each apartment that has a fence surounding each small lot with a gate to each lot. I have put in public room markers in the areas, this is what I get when either in buy mode or in build mode, This is what I get when I shift-cntrl-click on the door. I can not do shit click.......as then it wants to highlight the whole door and make a clone of it.

What I get is Lock, Set as Front Door, Make Usuable/Unusable by NPC, Clear all links, Activated behaviors, Triggers, Thumbnail Camera, Clone, Reset, Delete it, Link Triggers. I do not get the action to make NPC Door.

I did add the mod this does give me the availability to make the doors NPC doors, however on the sims lot I am playing, I keep having NPCs spawn. Any ideas why this is happening or how to stop it from happening?
Mad Poster
#149 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:20 PM
You need to place Private Room Markers inside the room you want to be used by NPCs. Then the option should show up.

Lab Assistant
#150 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
You need to place Private Room Markers inside the room you want to be used by NPCs. Then the option should show up.

I am going to be dumb and assume you are referring to my question. I have gone through the markers and there is no marker indicated or named private.
Page 6 of 8